Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Konjos World

Hello peoples im working on a game called Konjos World -

Making it for iphone/ itouch.

Im mostly using zbrush maya and the game engine- shiva.

This is a shot of the main character with temporary texture.

I was wondering about texturing, is there a main site that people get images to make brushes to texture, or do most people just take pictures of real objects to make their brushes?

207059_1267862629_large.jpg

Replies

• konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks- my app got accepted into the iphone appstore today- tell me what you think!
    Keep in mind that im going to be doing texture studys on all the models, improving them all in updates. And i will improve the mechanics of the game as i learn more about game programming

879438207059_1273094586_large.jpg

207059_1273092510_large.jpg
    My youtube page

My ZbrushCentral thread

Konjos World Iphone App
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    So far I've seen people doing the following:

Converting low poly model to high poly, applying UVmodifier, exporting it to the Zbrush as .obj sculpting the bumps and textures creating a template of it, importing it back to maya/3d max and applying it to the lowpoly.

Pixologic.com you are looking for zclass and UV mapping.

Hand crafted textures are time consumings but they are pretty much the same process except you export the UV map as PNG or something and open it in the Photoshop or any paint software. You color them yourself.
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitewalkr i used both techniques you describe many many times to create this game-

1: i need better reference pictures so that the color i project onto mesh's in zbrush is better- i make the 'texture brush' with a little picture of something real

2: i just need to continue working the textures, spending more time on each one getting better at better at it. Texturing is an art within itself. I do see that now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHGIQKE7CA"]Konjos World youtube video[/ame]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    First of all, you need to get your resources and draw them over and over until you understand how would you want to improve your character which is Dwarf in your game. Orc/Ogres also.

Ok try this..I hope this helps you out in terms of your texturing issues. Since I assumed at the first glance at your project that you were unable to understand or get the idea on how to texture your model.

http://www.worldofwconline.com/gallery/albums/website/Dwarf.sized.jpg

http://paul.bahout.free.fr/wow_dwarf-1024x.jpg

The thing here is for you to get the idea of how to texture or draw texture for your character.

I cant find orc's or ogre's examples because I just havent played none of those characters. Remember that if you are hand crafting the texture than it is a real art because it requires a heck lot of time and heck lot of precision.

Also I'd suggest that you should rethink your character's walk cycle.

You are doing good, which was one of the reasons made me reply to this thread..Even though I am a learner.

Good luck
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting choice on the music for the trailer. I would have never imagined that dwarf to be so "gangsta"
    Though, I must admit you have something here, methinks.
    Work on that shit, man.
    Good luck.
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyy some update screenshots:

207059_1274135477_large.jpg

207059_1274135322_large.jpg

207059_1274135130_large.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The colors are extremely...
    Blue. Everything looks very blue and green. It looks a bit bizzare, to be honest.
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting point... I really liked the frost dwarves in everquest thats why i gave him blue hair and green armor, but i know his texture is really messed up ive been meaning to work on it.. Maybe ill change it all. Do you think i should change the controls arrows to black and white instead of blue?.. all of these shots are from the outside level, so every other level is more dungeon, less greenery.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the dwarf, it's fine if you want him to have blue hair, be a frost dwarf. I'm just saying the grass looks more teal than green, but perhaps you're aiming for that. The controls, I dunno, it's up to you. I was just making an observation.