Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Demon

Kbrom12
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, very long time lurker here and I finally got the guts to post something i did and I'm hoping to start posting here more so here goes

Looking for some C&C on this demon I am working on, thinking for the texture he would have a light grayish color to him sort of like the moon, but the texture of the skin would be that of rhino skin, very hard and rough. Thanks for looking :)

360° Wireframe Vid - http://www.vimeo.com/9928247

Posting some close ups so ya'll can see it in more detail as well

closeup1v.jpg

closeup2n.jpg

closeup3.jpg

demonuvlayout.png

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone got any input?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, apart from the technical side of modeling and creating uv's, one can't really crit your work here.

The reason being is, you didn't give us any concept art, and your character doesn't really have any real world anatomy.

That is the biggest down fall with working on such a fictional and abstract piece. Who is to say if its good or not. You could always retort "well that's the way he is supposed to look".

Get my drift?

Anyways, if you are just modeling for the sake of modeling, and getting used to controls etc. then by all means keep going man.

But if you are trying to become a character artist or something, then you should really work on some characters that exist in reality. At Minimum, stick to stereotypical monsters and make sure you follow some sort of concept art very closely.

Technically speaking, you could make better use of your polys in many areas. Specifically in areas where the geo you have does not effect the silhouette.

You also need to get geo in there for deformation, particularly at the knees.

Lastley, your uvs could be packed much better. I'm guessing you have 30-40 percent unused space.

Good luck man, welcome to polycount! :)
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    The model itself looks like it doesn't have a lot of direction or pre-planning. You can tell you know what basic shape you want the character to be but there's not a lot of definition. Especially in the stomach and pelvis area. I'd say go back, delete a lot of your edge loops and start bulking in some meet for him. Follow some basic anatomy and it should be a great improvement.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bad guys on the concept, the only view i have of it is here, however I did not want to model this after the concept precisely as it is shown. I like the idea shown in the concept but I decided to change some things to make it more appealing to myself.

demonconceptart.jpg

BradMyers82L: I have been doing so many environments and props lately that I wanted to try a character, but i do not wish to be a character artist thought but I still enjoy the process of it. I agree with the comments about the silhouette though and i'll work on refining the poly's that dont contribute to it.

Gallows: I'll work on the anatomy as said above but I was hoping to get away from the normal anatomy that I see everywhere and everyday, I guess I just am so used to seeing the normal 2 arms and 2 legs things that I wanted to try something new, not sure if it worked though but thanks for the comments.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    reminds me of the flood from halo. cant wait to see how this project turns out. i think u unwrapped ur model a little prematurely. its clearly not done. even for the low poly.
  • achillesian
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went from 5700 polys down to 2500 polys, a huge improvement from before so thanks for the comments about that so i hope it still is working out, hoping to get more comments now about the new geometry i have here. I probably can even refine the mesh more and make it better than it is now but that will have to happen at another time other than today, on with the updates!

360° Turnaround - http://vimeo.com/10045227

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

closeup3.jpg
  • Omnicypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omnicypher polycounter lvl 9
    i think with simpler topology (mostly pure cylinders) it will be easier to sculpt those details. when it comes to sculpting, you dont need edge loops around every hole, as that causes poles and pinching in some areas. its easier to just crank up the subdivisions on a regular quad surface and poke those indents with the standard brush.