Home Technical Talk

Anyone know of a cheaper animation package to motion builder or maya ?

Anyone know of a cheaper animation package to Motion builder or maya ? if so id apreciate the links to them and some examples of what they can do.

Replies

• CrazyButcher
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of Vfx/film types over at Modo's Luxology Forum always talk about using Lightwave + Messiah for character animation, they seem pretty happy.

Lightwave $895 + Messiah $399

So $1294 which includes a possible free upgrade to the next version of Lighwave, Lightwave CORE.

Blender $0

Note that blender 2.5 alpha 2 is out, UI seems much more mainstream than the old Blender 2.49.

Modo $995 if you don't need smooth skinned animation it can do it, example.
  • ZacD
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    blender?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcBECFLXmuc[/ame]

and it's only gotten better since then, though i currently only use it for modeling.

www.blender.org

oh ya it's free
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and this short is done with an even older version of blender, unfortunately it makes absolutely no sense.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGEWHNJ3s8[/ame]
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new Blender, the one with the new UI, is useless in a production situation. It's in alpha state, and really represents that.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's another one..........
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXz92zdyezs&NR=1[/ame]

this one just happens to be awesome

if you're not comfortable using 2.5 in it's alpha state, you're not forced to. they still have stable 2.49 on the site, and the alpha 2.5 is clearly labeled as alpha testing. thus far i'm loving it, and to say that it's useless in a production environment is kind of ridiculous
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think it's ridiculous all you want, but I'd advise against using Blender all day long. Alpha or not.

It's fine for hobbyists, and fine for students, if you just want to learn about the basics (and beyond) of 3D. But it's not the holy grail open source fanatics claim it to be, who can't seem to realize that software like Max or Maya is leaps beyond in most areas.

These shorts you're posting, which I've seen before, prove nothing. You can make what's there, and better, in any of the big apps, it's how you get to the result that matters.

It's no point in even running down features and doing comparisons, because people like you will always be so infatuated (you even used the word love about a program) with what they use it's like talking to a brick wall. To all others it's just a tool, and you use the best tool available. If I were to just compare Blenders modeling workflow to Modo's it'll fall so far behind it's not even funny.

I have no idea what work environment you're in, but if Blender is what they're using, good luck.

I don't even care what your opinion is, or want to discuss with you. I say this for everyone else, so that they're warned, and don't think that Blender is in the same class as Max, Maya, Modo, XSI, etc. Even Silo stomps on Blender as far as modeling goes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing.

If you plan on getting a job in the industry you will need to learn Max or Maya at some point if you transition from other apps it doesn't really matter as long as you're confident with how either works when you apply.

If you just want to model some low poly, props & characters with some basic animation as well as learn the Max/Maya interface, you can grab Gmax or MayaPLE. Neither renders but no one bothers with that in the industry.

If you're looking to just make some neat 3D stuff in your spare time, then it doesn't mater what you go with, whatever floats your boat and suits your needs.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clockwork i have both maya and max, haven't tried xsi or modo but those are likely more geared towards my taste. i've taken a pretty thorough look at blender, and i guarantee you'd be surprised at its functionality and speed. i personally find it to be the fastest for nearly all modeling and retopology.

it has my favorite interactive insert edge loop, also edge slide, target weld, create face from any vertices/edges selected with F for basic modeling. i used to use max for lofting/extruding along curves or arraying objects along curves etc, but it's all possible in blender. the shrinkwrap modifier has become my fastest retopo feature. i also absolutely love the quick shortcut for orienting the transform widget to selected components. the only real thing blender lacks in modeling is a decent cut/split polygon comparable, as the "knife" tool it uses is absolutely terrible. other than that, most of the polyboost tools or new graphite functions have been in blender for ages and nobody cares to look.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Clockwork wrote: »
    Think it's ridiculous all you want, but I'd advise against using Blender all day long. Alpha or not.

It's fine for hobbyists, and fine for students, if you just want to learn about the basics (and beyond) of 3D. But it's not the holy grail open source fanatics claim it to be, who can't seem to realize that software like Max or Maya is leaps beyond in most areas.

These shorts you're posting, which I've seen before, prove nothing. You can make what's there, and better, in any of the big apps, it's how you get to the result that matters.

It's no point in even running down features and doing comparisons, because people like you will always be so infatuated (you even used the word love about a program) with what they use it's like talking to a brick wall. To all others it's just a tool, and you use the best tool available. If I were to just compare Blenders modeling workflow to Modo's it'll fall so far behind it's not even funny.

I have no idea what work environment you're in, but if Blender is what they're using, good luck.

I don't even care what your opinion is, or want to discuss with you. I say this for everyone else, so that they're warned, and don't think that Blender is in the same class as Max, Maya, Modo, XSI, etc. Even Silo stomps on Blender as far as modeling goes.

Point to where blender touched you on the doll.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol mustve been a very traumatic place.
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been following blender's development for a while and I believe that once 2.5 is out it will battle with the big boys.

Here's what it can do regarding animation: http://vimeo.com/2274969
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undoz wrote: »
    I've been following blender's development for a while and I believe that once 2.5 is out it will battle with the big boys.

Here's what it can do regarding animation: http://vimeo.com/2274969

they haven't even started working on the animation or modeling beta, modeling first then animation after Alpha 1
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    clockwork i have both maya and max, haven't tried xsi or modo but those are likely more geared towards my taste. i've taken a pretty thorough look at blender, and i guarantee you'd be surprised

I wouldn't be surprised by anything, since I've used Blender extensively, I can't remember when I first tried it, but it's at least 6-8 years ago. And I've continue to check out versions since then, and once 2.5 is in at least beta, I will check it out again. I wouldn't talk about it if I didn't know it well. I've even talked about Blender on this forum in previous posts. I've used all 3D apps.

Note: I'm not saying Blender is bad, it's actually a very good tool, especially considering price. But I still think it falls way behind compared to most other apps, especially modeling. You obviously like it, I'm not trying to change your mind. Personally I'd take Modo, Hexagon or Silo any day over modeling in Blender.

I suggest you get an eval copy of Modo before you say another word about how good modeling in Blender is. Then you could even see what a proper customizable interface should be like, and what it can do for your workflow. Not to mention creating your own tools on the fly.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Clockwork wrote: »
    Personally I'd take Modo, Hexagon or Silo any day over modeling in Blender.

The OP wasn't asking about modeling, he is looking for an inexpensive alternative for animation.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Captain Obvious, but me and ralusek were referring to modeling. That's why I've been quoting him, not the OP.
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    alot drama queen in this post :D
    Traditional modeling own's it all :):thumbup:
    ok but everybody must test everything to has a overview what you
    can do with all these, that is my point :)
    It's just tool, forget the ideology of " wow it free " the important thing is what you know
    do!
    If you can do Pixar animation with Paint Brush you are god and I'm your fan!
    got it ? :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never tried it but there's also Cheetah3D. For $150 it looks like it's got CA and exports FBX. Only for Mac though.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Once I wrapped my head around Blender's workflow modeling was pretty fun
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ralusek wrote: »
    and this short is done with an even older version of blender, unfortunately it makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGEWHNJ3s8

You dont know the moral of this story? An old man is obsessed by the technology soo much that he doesnt want to leave it. Instead he tries to convince the other person to accept it, who doesnt want to. Evenatually that "other person" accepts it and than shows the old man that it can be used for evil. And the old man stops him, and stops convincing him.

I think :S

But it was one of the greatest animation I've seen before BBB made in blender.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Animating in blender 2.49 is quite nice. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that I've also animated in max, xsi, lw, messiah and motion builder in the past if that gives some perspective. 2.5 will definitely improve on the experience, but I'm not using it for any projects until it makes its way out of alpha/beta. I'll stick with 2.49 till then. I'm mostly using 2.5 to mess around with config/UI experiments so that I can just dive in and customize the crap out of it for my needs when it is final. I'll check out the occasional bmesh build too just to see how it is coming along.
  • psychoticprankster
    What do you all think of Cinema 4D ?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any experience with Cinema 4D. Just be aware that depending what you want to do you may need some of the extra Modules that are not included with the base $995.00 Cinema 4D Core version. I hear that Maxon charges quite a bit of money for each extra module. If you go with the full Cinema 4D package from the start it's listing for $3,695.00, for that amount of money I'd just go with one of the big 3 Autodesk apps instead.
  • psychoticprankster
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with Cinema 4D. Just be aware that depending what you want to do you may need some of the extra Modules that are not included with the base $995.00 Cinema 4D Core version. I hear that Maxon charges quite a bit of money for each extra module. If you go with the full Cinema 4D package from the start it's listing for $3,695.00, for that amount of money I'd just go with one of the big 3 Autodesk apps instead.
    Yeah same here, apcept I can't afford one of their big apps.
    Maybe some money will show up somehow.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Animation Master
    79.99 for one year, or 299.99 to buy.
    http://www.hash.com/
    Examples: http://www.youtube.com/hashinc2007

Blender 2.49
    Free
    http://www.blender.org/

A few years ago I was really looking forward to Reflex. But it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    http://www.digitalfish.com/products/animators/

As a professional animator, I like blender a lot. Since it's free you can give it a serous try before you spend any hard earned money.

Also, if you stated your purpose or goals we can give you better feedback. For example if you are going to do contract work, you'll more than likely need to use whatever software your contractor tells you.
  • superpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try hash animation master it's only 300 bucks or 50 bucks if your at comic con.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    monster, what are your thoughts on Animation Master? I'm experienced in animating/rigging in Maya, but I'm looking for something else to animate with for my personal work.