Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Modelling for Unreal 3

Patackular
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Patackular polycounter lvl 9
I'm creating a playable character intended Unreal 3, based around the 'Male' skeletal rig.

Here's what I have so far.

BasicMesh_2.jpg

On a side note, I've been having some problems with getting parts into the Unreal 3 editor. I keep receiving this message when I try and import my .psk files.

Missing_files.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions for any of this, it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    I think you just have too reload the package the asset is in.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, load the package first THEN the map.

Character looks decent so far, if your going for a stylized character, it's looking good.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duuuuhhh, of course. Cheers guys, I think being up for 2 days melted my brain a tad.

Thanks for the comment, DarNater. :thumbup:
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just adding some progress. Still a lot to do but no more for tonight! Basic diffuse textures on with most of the basic normals as well.

Baisc_Texture_Overall_1.jpg

Baisc_Texture_Head_1.jpg
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my model with a basic rig and texture (Diffuse and Normal) although can't view it in Unreal 3 under the character selection for some reason. I think I've followed the scripting steps correctly and it seems to recognise that the custom content is there, just not showing the model itself.

Plus the belt pouches and pick axe diffuse textures aren't showing up which is pretty lame.

Editer_Shot_1.jpg

Editer_Shot_2.jpg
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been struggling with rigging my guy up for Unreal 3. Can anyone recommend a way of skinning up the wrists so they don't twist so badly as they do.

Also a way of solving the 'broken' thumb issue that seems to occur with setting up characters for Unreal, where the thumbs snap downwards, into the palm. :poly127:

I'm using Max 2010 with the Skin modifier.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post my latest phase of development with this. Wanted to spend more time on the texture like how some of the shadows are a tad harsh in places, the specular could be evened out more in areas and the surface definition could be improved, but I've run out of time. having said that, any critique is welcome. I can always use it for future work.

Character_selection_1copy.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    You might wanna work on your materials. Its lookin a little bloomy too.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i say work on your anatomy first, study real life refs, it shows real lacking in that department :( congrats on getting it ingame nontheless !!
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Admittedly, it's meant to be cartoony-stylised so anatomy wasn't meant to be matching perfectly, but are there any areas in particular you could suggest that need the most improvement? I'm guessing the biceps?
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    First thing I notice as far as anatomy goes is he could use a bigger chest and smaller hips.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Patackular wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Admittedly, it's meant to be cartoony-stylised so anatomy wasn't meant to be matching perfectly, but are there any areas in particular you could suggest that need the most improvement? I'm guessing the biceps?

its a very simple thing, first you learn the rules, then you learn to break them :)

its not needed that you need to know every muscle and bone by name, but knowing anatomy will give you a solid base for abstractions

as the arms are the only part besides the head that is visible without any cloth around, its pretty obvious there whats off, right now it looks just like two ellipsoids plugged together, it has no real flow, just thos two blobs and a hand plugged onto it, so grab yourself some reference (doesn't need to be photo, some good toony stuff might do too) and try to refine it :)
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Those are all good points Neox raises. I think also in general you need to give more thought to your character design, how the forms interact, the relationships between them, etc. Go to a local bookstore and look through the pixar and disney character books to get an idea of what is visually pleasing. Pay attention to character design in cartoons and movies and think about why you do or don't like the design choices. It seems like you're walking a line between real and cartoon without committing to either creating a result that is not pleasing.
  • Patackular
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, much appreciated. I'll have a venture.