Home Technical Talk

Yes, another 'NEW PC' thread... with a technical question.

Hey all,

I just ordered the bits to build my new PC and it's all arriving tomorrow. While it's exciting, I've never built a PC but saved like £200+ by purchasing components separately. My Windows 7 RC started shutting down bi-hourly today and it's shameful that I haven't upgraded yet so rather than go back to XP after a year of 7, I thought I'd go for an OEM version of Win7 and get myself a new PC at the same time.

Should hopefully be a decent system, a big upgrade from my current 2Ghz Core2Duo, and GeForce 8600. The GPU was a tricky choice, I was so tempted to go for the less expensive Radeon DX11 card but I've always had NVidia cards and always been impressed with them. I know the 'Fermi' is due out shortly but I just couldn't hold out any longer. I'll upgrade the card once NVidias DX11 cards have been out a while.

The case is pretty basic I know, but it got some good press and it's gonna be under my desk anyway so I didn't need the whole 'look at my light show through this window' thing, and I wont be OC'ing either so no need for any aftermarket cooling.

Here's what I got:

Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz
ASUS P6T
GeForce 285
6GB Tri-Channel DDR3
Corsair TX650 PSU
CoolerMaster Elite 335 Case

So firstly, are those gonna fit together ok? I'm pretty sure I read the specs right and all should be compatible but if anything is wrong then I will get the order changed.

My main question is this though, I think I'm ok with putting all the components together, but once that's done... do you just...erm...switch it on and put the OS disk in?

Or do you have to configure stuff in the BIOS etc? Apologies for such a dumb question but as I said, never built a PC before!

Thanks

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    could be wrong, but don't you have to be registered with microsoft as an oem distributor to install the oem software? i've never taken that route, but yeah...........
    http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=2
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's hope not!

As far as I was aware, I thought you were eligible to purchase/install an OEM license of Windows if buying a new PC or 'substantial' parts of a new PC... mobo/processor etc.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything there looks fine, the case is a great case for the money, and unless you're doing major overclocking, or you're a 13 year old kid who wants to show off all of his LED lights, there isnt really anything more you need.

If win7 is anything like every other version of windows, all you need is a HD and a DVD drive, just throw it in the dvd, and it should auto-run, letting you install it on whatever HD you want to use as the OS drive.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to how your build turns out. I'm planning on building my own comp with really similar specs to yours. Good luck with it!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks EQ,

I'm glad you replied actually because I just wanted to say thanks to you for the help over my last few posts when i've talked about choosing bits for my new setup.

Ah nice one Autopsy thanks, I'll post back here with the results!

Right then all set... lets hope I can build me a PC!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really solid, pretty much exactly what I would build if I was going to build something right now.

You should be able to just drop the OS disc in and follow the prompts. You might MIGHT need to go into the bios and set up the DVD drive as a boot drive, but ASUS main boards are pretty good at detecting it and if not their bios are almost self explanatory. They normally have some pretty extensive step by step instructions in their manual, which you could probably download and look at ahead of time if you wanted to.

OEM's can't be upgraded and ever since Vista, OEM's can only be loaded onto one machine. It will forever be locked to that one machine through a hardware check.

There are some technical channels you can go through to get that reset but its a pain. It's not locked to all the hardware just the mainboard so you're free to swap out drives and upgrade video cards even processors but be warned, if you swap the mo-bo it won't re-license.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah no problem man
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks Vig,

Just a quick question re the OS,

I had planned to stick Win7 on my laptop too since that's due a Windows upgrade... so with the OEM version I'm outta luck? I don't wanna break rules here by talking about license bending but despite what Microsoft want you to do, there actually isn't a physical way of having my OEM license installed on both my desktop and laptop at the same time?

It's not a major issue since I can upgrade the laptop at a diferent time, but would be nice if it is possible.

Thanks
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the lic on the laptop is a retail version you can upgrade. They have a "can I upgrade windows on this PC" tool you download which will tell you if its a version that can be upgraded, even checks the hardware.

If its OEM on the laptop, it probably can not be upgraded. But MS does make some exceptions for hardware bought from big name manufactures, normally they force you to go through the manufacture at a slightly marked up price. But its better than paying retail or OEM again.

OEM's don't upgrade, they can only be used for fresh clean installs and in some cases repairs to existing installs. Which isn't a big issue if you plan to reformat before you upgrade.

If you have two systems, you need two lic's of Win7. You can use one version to install it on both systems but you'll have to buy another lic from MS after the grace period expires.

You can always give them a call too =)
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/install2
    (866) 234-6020
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies, I explained that really badly...

I'm running an OEM version of XP SP2 on the laptop, but what I had hoped to do was use the OEM 7 disc I just ordered with my new PC, to install 7 on both my new PC and my laptop.

But I'm guessing that won't work?

Does it constantly check activation remotely? I've had to ring MS a bunch of times when reformatting to get my license to activate on my laptop, so I just wondered if I install it on the desktop, then on the laptop and call them up explaining I've had to install it again, would it work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh ok I think I get ya now. You can take the OEM disc's and install a fresh copy on as many systems as you want but you'll only have one license for one of them. So after the grace period stops it will prompt you to buy a license for the other.

I'm not sure how often they call home but they probably do it pretty regularly. I'm not sure what would happen if you manged to get it activated on two separate machines and turned them both on at the same time. That's probably when the black helicopters start to circle your block... heh.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah right I see, thanks for clearing that up.

If that's the case I may just purchase another copy for my laptop, I'd rather not get too far into breaking licenses, especially if it's just gonna cause hassle.

Thanks again.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You always can buy oem versions and install them in old computers too, although they say "they can only be used for fresh clean installs". In your case Oem is OK. In spain, shops sells oem versions and they don't care about if you are building a new computer or not, are cheap versions and they sells a lot. Oem version can be used only in one machine (for another validation you need another key/license), and i think that the retail could be used in five machines asking for keys? correct me if i'm wrong.

If you validated a Vista (oem) in an old machine, you could install it in a newer setup. Some friends called MS and they gave them a new key, no problems (it seems they desactivate the older key).

That machine is very nice, my bro have a 285 and it's a very very good card. You will be very happy with it. If you wanna do OC, a better case and a good cpu cooler will help a lot. It's quite easy to see people with that i7 with a nice OC, great if you are aiming for renders/video editing.

It will take more time the assembly than the windows installation :P
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Blaizer,

Yeah I hear very good things about the 285. I know it's technically gonna be 'outdated' soon but as I said, I'm still running an 8600 so it's still a big upgrade.

And yeah hehe the assembly may take me a very long time!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... The build has begun!

I've got the majority assembled but have a few questions before I power up.

The cables that connect the case buttons and button LEDs appear to fit either way round and the manual doesn't make it clear which way. I'm guessing the single pin plugs are fine but is it trial and error on the double pin plugs or is there a way to tell? The plugs fit onto a set of pins on the motherboard.

Secondly, my GPU has a power connection which splits into two identical plugs to receive power cables from the PSU. Do both of these need to be connected?

There is also a thin blue/black cable with a 4 pin plug on one end and a 2 pin on the other that
    comes off of the GPU, where does this connect?

Lastly, as both my HDD and DVD drive are SATA, does it matter which order they're connected in? For example, if I plan to set the boot order in the bios as DVD>HDD, does the DVD drive need to be in SATA 1 etc?

Hopefully i've explained that well enough!

Thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... The build has begun!

I've got the majority assembled but have a few questions before I power up.

The cables that connect the case buttons and button LEDs appear to fit either way round and the manual doesn't make it clear which way. I'm guessing the single pin plugs are fine but is it trial and error on the double pin plugs or is there a way to tell? The plugs fit onto a set of pins on the motherboard.

I'm not sure if there is an official way here, it always seems to work out for me, but i have sort of a method that i use. I always face the text on the pins outword, so you can read all of the rows, both front and back. I sort of have a suspicion that it works either way.
    Secondly, my GPU has a power connection which splits into two identical plugs to receive power cables from the PSU. Do both of these need to be connected?

For something as power hungry as a 285 i would say yes, it would probabbly work with just one, but you may have stability concerns. With a 650w PSU you should have a shit-ton of extra molex connectors anyway. Also, you may not even need to use the adaptor that comes with the card, there is a good chance your PSU has the 6 or 8 pin(or both) PCI-E power adaptor(s) that your card needs.
    There is also a thin blue/black cable with a 4 pin plug on one end and a 2 pin on the other that
    comes off of the GPU, where does this connect?

I'm not sure with this one, check the above comment and see if there is something suitable from your PSU that is for this purpose. Take a picture of it otherwise?
    Lastly, as both my HDD and DVD drive are SATA, does it matter which order they're connected in? For example, if I plan to set the boot order in the bios as DVD>HDD, does the DVD drive need to be in SATA 1 etc?

Sata is a wonderful invention of the gods and the order has nothing to do with it. Not like the old days with troubleshooting boot order in relation to IDE cables.... gah...

Your DVD should automatically be set to the first boot device, followed by your HD by your bios, if not snoop around in the bios to change it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EQ that's a great help.

The cable off of the GPU is too small to take any connections from the PSU.

I've done a bit of research and the only thing I can find is that it may be a HD Audio connector to SPDIF? This sounds strange as it's a graphics card but that's what some people have mentioned.

I've taken a pic of it here, not sure if it helps!

photomdn.jpg

EDIT:

Ok just found another instruction card in the GPU box... turns out it is the HDMI to SPDIF cable.

While it explains how to hook it up, it doesn't explain what it does... and I have no idea!

What does it do?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok first boot.... problems!

Powered up fine, all LED's/Fans working as expected, DVD drive opens/closes, HDD spins up on power-up. But... blank screen and my monitor is flashing the 'no-signal' light.

The GPU fan is running so it's getting power.

Any ideas?!

Thanks
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh... perhaps it's because I didn't install the 4-pin power to the motherboard.

Now I feel stupid!

Ok it's booting now, will report back soon!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right I've got it to boot into the BIOS and it's detecting both the DVD drive and HDD as SATA 1 and 2... but after the boot it says 'Detecting drives: No Drives Found' then displays

'Reboot using proper device'

I've got the boot order set in the BIOS to DVD Drive first, then HDD, and the Win7 disc is in the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok another update...

Tried booting off of my Win7 RC disc and it boots fine and begins to install.

Seems odd that a genuine OEM Win 7 disc isn't booting. Hmmm, guess I'll have to get onto the retailer tomorrow unless anyone's got any other suggestions?

Thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EQ that's a great help.

The cable off of the GPU is too small to take any connections from the PSU.

I've done a bit of research and the only thing I can find is that it may be a HD Audio connector to SPDIF? This sounds strange as it's a graphics card but that's what some people have mentioned.

I've taken a pic of it here, not sure if it helps!

photomdn.jpg

EDIT:

Ok just found another instruction card in the GPU box... turns out it is the HDMI to SPDIF cable.

While it explains how to hook it up, it doesn't explain what it does... and I have no idea!

What does it do?

Well, you've got HDMI out on your card. HDMI is essentially DVI + sound, so its video+audio all in one cable. Thats why you've got any audio hook up for it =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok another update...

Tried booting off of my Win7 RC disc and it boots fine and begins to install.

Seems odd that a genuine OEM Win 7 disc isn't booting. Hmmm, guess I'll have to get onto the retailer tomorrow unless anyone's got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Yeah that seems very strange, the only reason why you would get the error(the post before this) is if its a non-bootable disk. May be some special requirements for the OEM or something?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok apologies for the million updates.

The OEM Win7 disc doesn't appear to be bootable, or it's damaged.

It was fully security sealed when I got it so I guess it could be a faulty disc.

I've tried my RC disc, and it boots to that and will install, tried an OEM XP cd I had and it boots fine to that too.

Sucks that I got it all sorted (I think) and now I gotta wait for the retailer to ship out another disc.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies EQ,

Things have gotten even more mysterious now...

Just tried the WIn7 OEM disc in another PC and it boots up to the installation screen no problems, stuck it in a Mac and it reads as a normal disc with what appear to be the usual Windows OS files.

Back in my new PC and I get the 'Reboot using blah blah blah'

One thing I have noticed is that the DVD reads for a while before it spits the 'Reboot using' message, whereas if I try a random audio CD or something it recognizes that it's not a boot disc immediately.

So the disc is fine, I'm pretty sure my drive is fine. This one's confusing!

I thought it could be that it's not reading DVD's but reading CD's ok, but my Win7 RC disc which it reads fine is on a burned DVD.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Ok apologies for the million updates.

Nah dude, keep 'em coming! I'm sure a lot of people building a comp might run into these issues, good to see what problems and solutions you're coming across.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might need to configure the drive itself to be a slave? It might be set to master. I still use IDE dvd drives (they're not dead yet!) so this might not apply to SATA drives. Its normally a little jumper/pin combo that you set, near the power cord.

Any chance you can try the drive in another system or try a different drive in this system. It could be that the drive works just fine when it can interact with windows but doesn't work as a boot drive.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the weird thing though, it does work as a boot drive... but only with my old legit XP cd, or my Windows 7 RC burned DVD... not my new legit copy of Win7.

And just when you're thinking 'faulty Win7 DVD'... it works fine in two other systems!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not the win7 DVD it sounds like thats fine, but the actual DVD hardware drive does it read the disc if you pug the hardware into another system that's already running windows? How about putting another DVD drive in the new system, maybe an old IDE drive if you have one?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you can find a IDE dvd drive somewhere(in the system you're on now?) try plopping that bad boy in there and seeing if it solves the problem. It may be some quirk with the sata drive..... very strange...

oh yeah, what vig just said, lol
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

I may be able to grab an IDE drive out of my very old PC tomorrow which is back at my parents house, I'm on my laptop right now.

I've also had a thought, would it be worth burning a copy of my new Win7 disc and seeing if it picks that up?

It's just so weird that it'll read two other OS discs (both CD and DVD) but not this one.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok got it sorted!

Turns out it was a faulty drive.

I got the old one sent back for return and picked up a new one from a component store this morning and it booted fine straight away.

Just installed all my software and it's lightning quick. I was obviously expecting a pretty noticeable upgrade since my old hardware is so much lower in spec than this but it really is impressive just how much better!

Thanks again to all for the help!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! I'm glad its up and running.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strangely enough i've had some issues with sata DVD drives as well. The drive i ordered for this system, because i wanted to go all-sata didn't work here... or stoped working after a while? I dont remember, anyway, it works just fine in my... 4 year old nforce4 based HTPC, but had trouble working on my intel quad core system... quite strange