Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skull

Replies

• Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Jeremy. To be honest, I think there are a number of places that could be improved upon in the low poly. While every skull is indeed unique, there are some places in your model that jump out to me as being off.

In the profile view, the back of the skull should extend out farther, and the top of the skull should be slightly less round. The critique you got on the previous page in regards to the thin jaw was accurate, but I think you may've overcompensated a little, and made the jaw (in the front view) a bit too wide. The outermost sides of the jaw need to come in a little. Additionally, the teeth (and area directly above) should be slightly wider, and I feel that the eye sockets should be tilted slightly upwards. They're much too level right now. I'd also make where the teeth meet the jaw a little more curved -slightly smiley. Lastly but not leastly (and this may just be a personal preference), but I feel like the nose-socket should be widened a tiny bit.

Here are some references (1, 2, 3, 4) demonstrating what I'm talking about.

I did a little "paintover" to show the changes I'd make.

Skull.jpg

A lot of subtle changes, but I think they'd really help the accuracy of your skull.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah the overall shapes and proportions are still very off. It is, however, very easy to fix at the sculpting stage on a model like that.

- First thing is, export it out of Zbrush as often as you can to check it in a real 3D program. Because even the 'p' mode in Z is, simply, off.

-Also : get yourself a human skull replica. The errors in your current model seem to come from working on the shapes and forms from front and side view, but omitting the perspective three-quarters. If you have a physical replica near you, all that stuff becomes obvious. I got one from 3B, bought through the Anatomical Chart Company :

http://www.a3bs.com/anatomical-models/human-skull-models,pg_65_55_0_0.html
    http://www.anatomical.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_A20

Good luck

P
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea the final product looks so much realistic than the slight unsymmetrical aspects of your first concept. Well done!