Home Technical Talk

I have a quick question about sub-d modelling.

Hello,

I'm new to the 3d modeling world, last time i even touched anything with 3ds max was before December of 09 was modeling and Audi a3 i believe.

Past few days I've read what seems like hundred of threads and on here I've been seeing people talk about sub-d modeling, what exactly is sub-d modeling? How do you go about doing it? Whats the different to normal polygon modeling( i believe that's what its called I'm not sure.

Another thing any tips or anything for someone who's just starting out in the 3d world?

P.s Sorry if this is in the wrong area I just haven't found anything that has answered my question or I've just over looked it and didn't see it.

Regards,
Broshears

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Typically what people refer to as "sub-d modelling" around these parts (whether technically correct or not) is just polygon modelling with modifiers like Turbosmooth (3dsmax) or polySmooth (maya) applied to "subdivide" and smooth out the result.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I got confused with this. Its like an oxymoron, no one really does sub-d modelling, they just model something then they subdivide it.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    well. you learn something new everyday. I though everyone was referenceing modeling with sub-div primatives in maya - guess I'm been sub-d modeling all along. So don't feel like too much of a moron. I've been modeling in 3d for about 2 years now and this definition eluded me until today. thanks for clearing that up MoP.
  • Broshears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks :) and I'm sure this is also asked a lot any good quality tutorials or articles out there to help a "newbie" out?
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Although these dudes are right. I like to think of SubD modeling more than just throwing a turbosmooth on a model...for example...

SubD.jpg
    Same box on the left...then with SubD level 1, then level 2 towards the right

When modeling for SubD you need to keep an eye on your edge loops because you'll easily end up with random bumps or pinching on your model.

And you'll want to put supporting edges if you want it to have a sharper edge.

Edit: And that's me thinking "SubD" always means it's hard surface.
  • Broshears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit* It's not that bad but when zooming in some more it'll be even worse.

Thanks guys(and gals if any) for answering my questions. Got one other I decided to just dive in and try to model something got a folder of reference pictures. loaded one up on a plane and when i zoom in it gets so blurry that it would be impossible it seems to try to model with.

I forgot which site and which post i read but told the reader how to fix the blurriness. Seeing if by chance you would be able to help me. Or is it just because of the picture it self?.

Here is a shot of the material with the picture on the plane in 3ds max 2010.

blurryy.jpg
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Customize -> Preferences -> Viewports -> Configure Driver -> Background Texture Size 1024

and

Download Texture Size 512

Also check both Match Bitmap Size as Close as Possible in each category.

I don't know if both are necessary but that's what I read on a tut a long time ago and been doing it since.