Home Technical Talk

question regarding smoothing and poly counts

Hi all, bit of a noobie question, but im modelling a polymesh for a project, and have got it looking near enough like. The model is for a university project so its purpose is purely hypothetical. Smoothing it out has posed a bit of a problem (one thats self inflicted must confess!).

The three options I have are to:
a) convert it to sub-d
b) convert it to subdiv proxy
c) convert Smoothmesh preview to polygons

I could also convert it to a sub-d and then back to poly with the adaptive setting checked.

The main focus of the project is to rig and skin the character and animate its functionality. I haven't really decided if it is intended for game, film, still image etc, so what i'm wondering is what are the best ways to smooth it out for these different mediums, what sorts of polycounts are acceptable and which will provide the best solution when it comes to skinning and weight painting?

Sorry if this is a little bit of a basic question, but we have to start somewhere!!

Cheers

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount.

I've moved this topic to the Technical Talk section and have also renamed the thread to something more fitting.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The acceptable polycount is subjective to what the model is for. If its for games it would be more limited. For movies/stills your poly count can be much higher. Also, if its for games the polycount cant vary depending on the type of game.

As for skinning/weighting...it will look smoother with more polies, but will probably be easier to weigh verts with less.