Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some Crits...(Noobie Warning)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Billz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I am pretty new to 3D art, I just started dabling in it last month. I'm in a Game Development program and we're getting into modelling and animation basics. I'm pretty decent for never having touched 3ds max before, and I really love messing with the tools. My firs coupleof assignments we're kind of easy, modelling a living room, bowl of fruit, axe, thins of that nature. I tried my first ever character model using the box modelling method. Was wondering if you guys could give me some advice, or let me know if I'm even doing it right at all. Anyway, here is what I got so far.

nightscralwer.jpg

tsnightscralwer.jpg

nightcrawlermodelsheet.jpg

I did the arms and head seperate and welded it on to the body, was that the correct method? I am getting some anomolies near the edge of the pectorials where the nipple would be when I turbosmooth it, I am assuming it's due to some extra polygons or edges near the armpit. How much detail would you think I should try ading to the character before attempting to sculpt it? Also, how would you go about modelling the clothing? sorry for all the questions guys and gals, but I know you're the pros and I'm just here to soak up as much knowledge as I can. Thanks!

Replies

• Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You need to remove edges, or relocate them before turning it in to sub-div. Actually it is better if you work in Subdiv with the cage turn on so you can fix it.

This model needs to be worked on.
    :)

For some reason It reminds me of my character that I am working on...=\ But than again its not the same idea so your are in the clean :D
  • Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
    When you say work in subdivide with the cage turned on what is it you mean exaclty? do you mean with the turbo on edit the polys on top of that?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Billz wrote: »
    When you say work in subdivide with the cage turned on what is it you mean exaclty? do you mean with the turbo on edit the polys on top of that?

Well in 3ds max you can activate a "preview" of all your modifiers on the right little menu (there is a button).

What I think the previous poster means is that when you have this preview mode, you'll see your low-poly cage wires surround the turbosmoothed model. You can drag the vertices of the low-poly cage (probably colored orange, with blue vertices) to see the changes what changes it will do to the turbosmoothed surface.

I hope it helps.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I meant was:

If you scroll down in the editable poly modifier, right before the last tab there is a tab called smooth (I think) in that tab log you'll see a "Use Nurms" with a check box. and show cage Check both on and you are good to go.

If you wish to create this in lowpoly:
    do not subdivide or turbo smooth it. Simply work on lowpoly in editable polymode to shape it up!

Check out jmile's thread of drood wip for further influence and see how he did it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcOTVuXcUI&feature=related[/ame]

Watch all parts of this video. Including the subdivide editing. This will tell you how the face and everything else is made. Its pretty high-poly but you will know what you need to do in low poly.
  • Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks for the replies so far guys. I tried re-working the edges a bit. Specifically, which edges would you subtract or move? Do you think I should get rid of the head altogether and re-do it with more detail or just edit the one I have now? Also, in order to add his clothing, would you edit or extrude the exisiting geometry or would you build new geometry around the model?

persnightscralwer.jpg

rightnightscralwer.jpg
    By billzzz at 2010-02-28

frontnightscralwer.jpg
    By billzzz at 2010-02-28

By billzzz at 2010-02-28

Nitwalkr: Thanks man, those vids are great help!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to say "where are makecg and ZacD when you need them." followed by " now that we have worked hard on the horizontal edges. Lets select one than click ring and loop and click connect option-box. Select either 2 or 1 edges, that will allow you to round shape it."

Actually the tutorial I posted is far too advanced. If you wish to follow the tutorial for practice you should check this tutorial out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcoksfSfFs&feature=related[/ame]
  • Giacomo X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    I'm working in Lightwave, so I can't speak to 3DS-specific stuff---but my suggestion is that you maybe try to build the cage with fewer polys that you're using right now. It's alos a good idea to shift the limbs out of the basic cage so the polyflow runs parallel to the form of the limb.

It would be a good idea to find a tutorial on "box modeling the human figure"--last time I checked, there were about a million of them on the web--and follow it a bit more carefully than you seem to have done so far.

Just my two cents.