Home General Discussion

Comps, how important are they?

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
In a medium to large studio, how much, if any comp work would a lower level prop artist be expected to do?

im sure it depends on the lead and the project and all that, but does anyone have any experiences to share on this topic that may give me some ball park idea?

i figure i may want to start this early on as i am right now pretty inexperienced.

also, how do you go about estimating how long a task will take you? it seems like to me every time i try to guess it takes me 10x longer. perhaps its just b/c i have sooooo much to learn?

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You shouldn't need to make correct guesses about how much time something will take if you claim yourself inexperienced. Say, if you were to do one of those things which took 10 times more than your initial guess again, how much would it take? Probably less, right? You get faster each time you practice and you find that you can do things in certain amounts of time as you get more experience.

What is this comp work btw? I'm not a proffesional so probably I can't answer that question but I'd like to know what it is :)
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    EmAr wrote: »
    What is this comp work btw? I'm not a proffesional so probably I can't answer that question but I'd like to know what it is :)

My guess is he means "compensatory" work. In other words overtime.

And this really really depends on the studio. Some studios do a lot. Some do very little. It can vary from going home every night and every weekend to virtually living at the studio. There's no overall rule. Usually overtime is towards the end of a project and near a milestone.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i thought he meant compositing, which could mean to him, the act of putting the assets together in a scene like a level designer.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    My first guess was compositing as well. But that could just be the VSFX background yelling out at me :|
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    If your talking about compensation for overtime then most studios answer is pizza!! or some sort of free food is your payment. But that's normally just for full time staff.

But as i have no fucking clue as to what you were really asking i really cant help.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    What, at first I was thinking competitions, like mini-comps. More clear wording would help.

Even if it's off topic, for me, competition is pretty important to my motivation, though not necessarily for the competitive aspect, more for the community collaboration aspect.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i thought he meant compositing as well, which could probably mean color grading textures so assets fit in better, etc.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe he means compiling, either compiling assets or compiling levels.

Oh yea and if your estimates are consistently 10x off, then just multiply them by 10 each time.
  • Eric Chadwick
    maybe he means computer work
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    compost work? : ) :)

but if what he meant is compensatory, I would say just do what you are confortable doing, some ppl do overtime ALL the time, because they dont mind and think they will get a good benefit out of it (many juniors or 1st projects at the company) but they do get some sort of experience benefit, not cash really... do not do this for cash..

some do overtime because they feel they work slowly compred to others...

Personally I just do OT when absolutely needed and im sure I will get compensated time in return... feel I need the time home to get my batteries charged up to go full speed on another 8 hour day.

but do not encourage companies not paying you for overtime, its drains ppl out, affect their personnal lives and most of all makes a lot of stress which isnt good for creativity

my 2 cents
  • Jasp
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    Tus compadres son muy importantes, s
  • rumblesushi
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    If your talking about compensation for overtime then most studios answer is pizza!! or some sort of free food is your payment. But that's normally just for full time staff.

But as i have no fucking clue as to what you were really asking i really cant help.

Hahaha, yep ;)

Or curry, in England anyway.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    lmao, oh man......

i meant, comprehensive.... you know, when you make a quick sketch of an asset before you go and spend a bunch of time on it, or color comps? you guys are messing with me right? just kinda hammering out what it will look like "quickly" on paper before going into your 3d suite.

i know in some studios your 2d guys are gona supply you with most of what you need, but i was just wondering b/c i was always told to do comps first then start modeling etc.

lol "computer work"... really? lol, thanks guys....

as far as overtrime, il take the pizza since thats what i would buy with the money!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    That sounds like concept work.

Anyway probably not too important! Most places medium -> large places are not going to expect that, afaik. But learn to draw really well anyway, if you've got the time, because you're an artist and that's just what we do.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Before you can do abstract art properly you should have a good foundation and be sure to grasp the basics of art. The same is true for the English language, before you start using abbreviations like lol, lmao, b/c or comp go and grasp the basics. It really helps...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it means competency.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i would call them "concepts"...
  • Eric Chadwick
    The "comps" term is used in advertising, but not in game development. We simply call them color concepts.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    if google serves me right then comp = composition / layout / design. So I bet that he means to ask if he has to draw concepts.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    The "comps" term is used in advertising, but not in game development. We simply call them color concepts.

oh ok, i think my roots are showing. sorry, went to art school for advertising before i got into 3d. lol oh well, so now that we now wth im talking about.....
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    lol, sorry, its funny, idk why but every other time iv used the term "comps" as either a comprehensive or a composition, really the same thing. they have known exactly what i meant. i guess is it conceptual drawing but point taken, there are a lot of people here so i will be more specific next time i ask an open ended quistion, well at least it was interesting reading everyones guesses....

my buddy tells me i need not worry about it as i can just ask for it from the people who are paid to do nothing but that and are probably better at it then me anyway, whew.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    oh oh ! Me ME!!!! .... Complimentary colors?...

You should probably tell us what you meant :).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    my buddy tells me i need not worry about it as i can just ask for it from the people who are paid to do nothing but that and are probably better at it then me anyway, whew.

You should learn to draw anyway!
  • EarthQuake
    *paid to do nothing *but concept*.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    oh shit, i somehow had no idea the word 'that' was in there.

snide comment redacted, whoops :x
  • timwiese
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    It depends on the size of your studio, where I work object artists are asked to concept out things for themselves plenty of times. As long as you have basic drawing skills you should be able to come up with a quick sketch of what you intend to create. These concepts are usually just for the leads to see, so they can get a sense of what you are going for and correct you from there.

I find it easiest to get take images of my reference, throw them together in Photoshop and fit them all together into one cohesive piece. Rarely do I just draw concepts from scratch unless they are just basic shapes.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    timwiese wrote: »
    It depends on the size of your studio, where I work object artists are asked to concept out things for themselves plenty of times. As long as you have basic drawing skills you should be able to come up with a quick sketch of what you intend to create. These concepts are usually just for the leads to see, so they can get a sense of what you are going for and correct you from there.

I find it easiest to get take images of my reference, throw them together in Photoshop and fit them all together into one cohesive piece. Rarely do I just draw concepts from scratch unless they are just basic shapes.

dign ding ding!

yeah this is what im looking for, all my school projects had to be drawn out before i started modeling. so, im gona keep on keepin on and try to do my best to sketch and color things quickly to get the feel right.

SupRore, i love to draw so i most certainly will continue!

thanks guys. i guess its not as important as i may have thought as it seems most dont do it, but it really helps me save time and communicate the idea before i get to far in to want to start over.
  • Tully
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    It really depends on your studio, but in general I suspect not very much. If making concepts are part of what they want you to do, a studio will generally specify that in the job posting. If they don't ask you about your drawing skills in an art test or interview, chances are it's not very important to them. If you have good concepting skills however, make sure that they know this so that it can help you win the job! All things being equal, they will definitely take a good prop/concept artist over a good prop artist.

What is more likely to be required is working from quite nonspecific concepts or photo refs. You may have a number of paintings from the concept artist that have the suggestions of the types of props that are in the environment -- bins, signs, crates, etc. Maybe the concept artist only had the time to suggest the shapes and of the props and they're not the sorts of things that exist precisely in real life-- your job will be to elaborate on their intent and make something that fits the environment. Creating something good from crappy photo reference (i.e., only one or two angles, low resolution, etc) is also a valuable skill. If you can do this well, you will be a very valuable artist indeed.

As for time estimations, it is fairly important for production to have an accurate idea of how long a given task will take so that they can decide what needs to get done and ship your game on time. The safest thing is to overestimate somewhat to begin with and pare back when you get a better idea of what's what. People don't expect a brand new junior to be totally perfect, but it shouldnt' take you long to learn expectations and find your feet. This was a problem for me when I first started out, but it wasn't long before I got my head around it.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    stay positive!
  • Taylor Hood
    Nice, an entire thread about what words mean ;)
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Tully, awesome post, thank you very much for taking the time.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, you are compensated for your work in a studio environment. In a large to medium sized studio they usually issue what are called "paychecks" and these can be traded for cash, goods and services. At a small studio they may just hand you cash everyday based on the quality of your work, or just take you out to dinner afterwards.