Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Nub Cake and His Level Attempt

Hey everyone what's up? This is my first post here, been lurking around the past month, a lot of cool stuff being done.

But to the point, I don't have much experience with 3D modeling, what I'm gonna post here are pretty much my first models. But far as the UDK goes I have worked with level building before, more or less a pass time. Now that I'm unemployed I figured it would be a good time to learn me some 3D design while also getting my mig and stick welding certs.

What I'm building is a simple level in UDK for no particular reason other then I enjoy creating stuff. Although it's being built just for fun, I would like it to be functional. It will be a capture the flag style map with a building on both ends and one in the center you must pass through to get to ether side. Time for the pics and questions =)

This Screen here shows a simple block out of the end building BSP I exported into the 3D prog so I could model the stairs and railing to the proper scale.
001-SOB.jpg?t=1267251536

This screen shows the stairs, its 1124 triangles. I'm not sure if thats to many triangles for a static mesh like this or if can go higher with it, cause I would like to add more geometry before doing the high poly for a normal map.
002-SOBStairsFancy.jpg?t=1267251986

This is the railing shown in the top screen, it's 1896 triangles heavy. I'm not sure if this is to much or not. From the picture you can see how much I will be using it. I was also able to figure out how to unwrap for texturing with this one.
003-SOBRailingUVWs.jpg?t=1267252688

I've been working on figuring out this modeling stuff since last week, I'm set on buying a scanner when I have the extra money so I can do some concept art to model from, I can see that making my life much easier.

I was also curious about the baking process for the normals. I found tutorials and what not, but they don't seem to be specific about some stuff. Like does the high poly need the UVWs set up? And if I break up the low poly to make the high poly, does the low poly still have to be broken apart for baking if the high poly is?