Home Technical Talk

Tips for baking Hair and Fur using Projection in Max

Hey folks, I am gearing up to texture some really rudimentary hair helmets. This will be going into Second Life if anyone is similar with that piece of sh... I mean, engine :) I'm talking just a diffuse texture with the possibility of bump based on the diffuse only. Crazy high rez is 512. Any alpha causes horrible horrible blending issues (I could go on, but that's the pertinent info I think.)

I have the Hair and Fur modifier set up so that a Projection Modifier can pick it up and RTT can give me several different passes that I can throw together in PS as a base hair map. The idea is to set it up then be able to crank out variations with a little changing of variables in Max. No, this isn't going to generate masterpieces or be the 'make art button'. It allows me to hit render and do something else though.

TL;DR:
I was wondering is if anyone has done something with baking the Hair and Fur modifier via Projection and can share tips or good tutorials for stuff like this in Max similar to the Varga tutorial? Thanks much!

Replies