Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i think it looks damn great!
    you could add some folds to the straps though
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hmmm...i like it but its still mising stuff. You dont have a rim ligth on this, and it doesnt look like its outdoor ligthing, which is what you are going for it seems.

Nice cool little touch with the spec there! :) Tho, it doesnt seem like its covering the surface too well.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    very nice man, I keep looking back and forth between reference and I can't seem to find anything wrong with yours. Keep up the great work! really looking forward to seeing this one done! Can't wait to see how the bake comes out.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    ::conte:: thanks man, will do for sure
    ::raul:: :) wasn't really going for outdoor but I do see what yer talkn' 'bout. Was trying to get close to this! http://www.peperaart.com/
    ::JonathanF:: thanks buddy!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah that's wut it seemed like :) well his deal is like an outdoor ligthing set up a simple 2 ligth rig. A key ligth and a fill ligth ( skyligth) which is wut I showed u the other. Half of the cool comes from your shader and possibly compositing in photoshop.

Again, I'm a render noob. So I'm just quoting wut I was told lol.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow!! that paul pepera is amazing! love his vehicle work!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    that hat looks fantastic, lots of detail....like first person weapon quality detail
  • rahul_shrimali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rahul_shrimali polycounter lvl 15
    Great looking work.....
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    ::conte:: thanks man, will do for sure
    ::raul:: :) wasn't really going for outdoor but I do see what yer talkn' 'bout. Was trying to get close to this! http://www.peperaart.com/
    ::JonathanF:: thanks buddy!

Ah, then what you're missing is shadows! You have a nice soft AO in there, but no real shadows being cast from your key light.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::raul:: lol. my render skills lack for sure. how's this?
    ::JonathanF:: indeed!!
    ::EricV:: thanks dude!
    ::rahul_shrimali:: thanks!
    ::Slum:: is it... it is!,noway! what's up man? yeah... you would probly have a good laugh if you saw my scene.

Well, I thought I finally had something cool with the helmet after another go at it. When I try the same light, camera and material setup on other props, it doesn't seem to have an ideal effect. Is there something to be learned here? My lights are placed wrong, maybe? Should each prop have it's own unique lighting? Rendering is definitely, an art in itself.
    I shall get back on track... time for loPoly!

::conte:: the folds... something like this?
    helmetrender2.jpg
    camerarender1.jpg
    grenaderender1.jpg
    gunrender1.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    u can definatley hp model. lets see it get worked into some normal mapped lowpolys :D
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, that helmet is jam up. Hell, all of it is. I'm curious, all the little holes in the lantern, are they floating geo?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm not a fan of the reflections on the HP modeling, but that grenade looks awesome and was sculpted very nicely.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    sampson wrote: »
    u can definatley hp model. lets see it get worked into some normal mapped lowpolys :D

I agree. I'm reserving my judgement on you... sir.. until I see lowpoly stuff! Great work on the high poly... now make us all proud.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    glory modeling...

now give them what they want ... the hardest part you've left behind ...
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, loPoly action! Here is the first pass at a loPoly crunch. It stands at 3,296 tris. For the cast maps, I used 2048 on this post. Also, I have a base started for the diffuse with an AO blended over.
    I have a couple questions. How might I go about choosing a map size? and... Is it ideal to render out at double the intended map size and then shrink to size?
    wip1_shaded.jpg
    wip1_wires.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work! my question would be, can you make a seperate flat plane for your bird for the normal map? then of course have the alpha that cuts it out of that plane. Just thinking that you could get so much more detail from your bake if you had a plane(that would add a few extra tri's that could bend with the eagle as it is kind of a separate piece from the helmet) nice and close to all the parts of that eagle... seems like you are losing a lot of your awesome work you did with that. I'm no expert in this, its just a thought if that would work?
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I think that bird came out perfect in that bake.

As for map sizes, personally as a portfolio asset, I would use 1024, just so you can really make it look awesome. But, in a game, like on a character, it would be lower.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    looking cool! Since you are showing just your cast. And trying to get the most out of it. Wouldnt it be more desireable to ONLY show your cast on the low poly with one solid color. I maybe be quoting someone here, but just saying. My eyes get lost trying to examine your low poly super human skills! :)

At least mask out the alpha planes...geezz... Phillip!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::JonathanF:: I see what you mean. I may try that.
    ::Cody:: Thanks man. 1024 it shall be.
    :: Raul:: You got it. one solid color cast coming right up. As soon as a I make some noticable tweaks.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Hooray Phillip! Way to go, cool looking stuff!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i agree with Cody that bird is pretty and the detail is perfect on the normal.

nice work dood!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New polycount is 2802. Also some minor tweaks to the eagles neck and head to pop it out like the rest of him does. whadoyathink?
    wip2.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, sweet! much better on the head of the eagle details! Inside looks great as well! really loving this piece. looking forward to seeing some texture on it!
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    your eagle looks bit flat after baking, I think you should check while modeling to make "cone" shapes of the poping objects 02_Normal.jpg

after bake they will look more 3d coz more info will be baked into texture, without it youll often find a 1pixel size info that determines your high and itll appear flat like your eagel now, in hipoly it look beautiful but in low poly only thing that shows it poop is only the occlusion now :(

But overall look of hipoly is astonishing !
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::Hatred:: Awesome feedback. I appreciate you taking time to post this. Will definitly make changes to improve the normal information! Thanks!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new polycount= 2798 and shrinking. And thanks for shedding some light Hatred. Here is a cap of the adjustment.
    wip3.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF wrote: »
    nice work! my question would be, can you make a seperate flat plane for your bird for the normal map? then of course have the alpha that cuts it out of that plane. Just thinking that you could get so much more detail from your bake if you had a plane(that would add a few extra tri's that could bend with the eagle as it is kind of a separate piece from the helmet) nice and close to all the parts of that eagle... seems like you are losing a lot of your awesome work you did with that. I'm no expert in this, its just a thought if that would work?

Sort of off topic here, but people seem to think adding alpha is free, the truth of the matter is that a a compressed 1024x1024 with alpha is the same size as a compressed 1024x2048 without alpha, so adding alpha doubles the size of your diffuse texture.

So really, in virtually every case, if you need some details with alpha it is better to use an extra, smaller texture JUST for your stuff that needs alpha(you also then do not need to run alpha in the shader on the bits of your mesh that do not need it, which may be good depending on engine).

But giving a few small bits of a complex unwrap alpha is generally a very bad idea.

An example is this:

32bit Diffuse, 24bit Normal, 24bit Spec, all at 1024x1024 = 3mb(3072kb)

24bit Diffuse, 24bit normal, 24bit Spec at 1024x1024(2304kb) PLUS
    32bit Diffuse, 24bit normal, 24bit Spec all at 512x512(768kb) = 3mb(3072)

So you can do 1024(A), or 1024 + 512(A)

So, watch where you put your alphas! They add up quick.

A final thing to consider is that alphablend is very expensive in terms of rendering and can be very glitchy, and alphatest looks like dog dicks, so you may be better served to just forgo the whole thing! With the specific example of the detail on the sides of the helmet, i would bake this this onto a simple cylindrical shape welded into the helmet and call it a day, the performance loss you'll get using A. extra texture memory and B. more complex shaders would likely not be worth the virtually unnoticeable effect you get from the way it is done now, which will only be very subtly noticed very close up.

Now for the case of the eagle on the front, giving excessive resolution to this area is only going to be inconsistent in the end, and result in a mess of noise where the rest of the game looks blurry and low-res. I would rather have consistent pixel density in a game than one thing REALLY REALLY sharp. Simply put, the amount of detail there with the texture size you have is way more than acceptable, and would likely still be nice at 2x or 4x less, if you take into consideration how the asset will realistically be viewed.

Even in the above LARGE shots, you start to lose some of the detail, this is not however a problem of resolution, but simply massive overkill in terms of level of detail vs what is seen. Not to say it isnt cool, because it turned out great! Simply that this isnt a technical problem, its a side effect of excess. =)
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake - Thanks for clarifying that information. Im still in my high poly modeling practice right now and will be getting to the low poly/texturing in a couple of weeks. This will be good to think about when i tackle those situations. :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    very impressive man, keep it up.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::Earthquake:: :poly115: Wow... thanks for the enlightenment. This information definitely put efficiency into perspective.
    ::Danielmn:: What's up man!!

So here is a first pass on the textures. I'm working at 2k having the intent to reduce to 1024s for the all textures. Critiques, comments, concerns or complaints? Oh, and the polycount is 2498.:D
    textureswip1.jpg
    textureswip2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Sort of off topic here, but people seem to think adding alpha is free, the truth of the matter is that a a compressed 1024x1024 with alpha is the same size as a compressed 1024x2048 without alpha, so adding alpha doubles the size of your diffuse texture.

But giving a few small bits of a complex unwrap alpha is generally a very bad idea.

thanks for that EQ I recently made a bus and put it in udk and didnt know how a pro would approach all those tiny windows - so now I know simple answer is to make one window with its own uv and maps seperate from the bus and duplicate it

fantastic quality in this artwork phillip!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    phillip the bake came out really nice and the texture is looking great.

but you have a 2k texture job with the intent to reduce down to a 1024 on an object that in a game engine would take up 256, possibly less, all depends on the game.

Really anyone can make a texture job look pretty good using an outrageous size map on an asset that will be so small. You really should think about how this item will be used in game, what the realistic limitations you will be working with. For something this small you would never require the amount of detail or realistically be able to see that detain in an object this small. It would just become noise if the helmet didnt cover the same screen space as your picture dose.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • katerina yonce
    The helmet is looking great Phil. I love the dusty look you gave it. The texture looks awesome so far. I need to get some texturing lessons from you :)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    That's a really nice prop for your portfolio.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    good start, its looks a little dark and you are not posting your reference to compare how close you are....u made me go back to your 1st page and dig for it. I lost 2 minutes of my life, but i know u will make up for it! :)

helmetReference2.jpg

That cast is sick!! Keep it up homes!
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Way to go Phillip! The came out very nice. :)
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet modeling and good texturing. Yeah, sure unless it was on a character, it would probably have to be lower poly and lower resolution, and you would probably have a shorter timeline than what it took you to make this, but so what. If you were trying to put it in game, someone would probably tell you to lower it, but that's not what you're doing. As a demonstration and augmentation of of your skill, this is perfect. Keep pushing, and doing what you are doing. Anyone who says otherwise, is just a hater, as far as I am concerned. Learning to work within certain restrictions is necessary, but for personal projects, why not just have fun (learn as much as you can) and try and make it look as good as you can?

So keep on keeping on.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, for commenting. All useful and encouraging! Thanks for getting my back on that referende Raul. Did you really lose 2 minutes of life?lol. dtschults, nail on the head! and I agree, I spent way too long on this piece! I'm using every minute I have after work to hammer away and starting to get more comfortable with the process. Will definitely start to focus on not taking time for granted in my workflow.
    -Phil
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved how it came out! sure its a little dark, but I think I have come across dark versions like this online... For sure a piece to be proud of! Great job! and the eagle came out awesome!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::JonathanF:: Thanks man. Yeah the reference above is a little blown out. Definitely had a lot a fun making this piece.

So, the textures remain 2k for this image (can't help it.) and the polycount at 2498. I'll call it finished for now so I can get a move along to other models.
    texturedLoPoly.jpg
    ...and the textures. originally 2048x2048
    texturedMaps.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy stuff, man..
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice picklehaub. I didn't know they were cloth-covered like that. Gorgeous work on the helm emblem.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! great finish! very inspirational and makes me really look forward to getting down to the low poly modeling, texturing and final presentation!
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    nice gief wire! good that you kept the polycount!
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just beutiful, good job!

Judging from the UV there should be alot of streching on the outside of the helm, but in the picture there is none. How did you do that!? Witchcraft!!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great, it all really came together very well. The only crit I have is the bird appears almost like it's outlined when you compare it to the side piece with the same material and there's a little bit of wavyness in the texture near the bird's beak.