Home Technical Talk

3D Creation - Workflow Help.

I'm having a few problems with gaining the right concept of developing my work in an appropriate way, I have a decent idea and knowledge of what I am working on and how to go about creating it. I have been working with 3d applications and developing assets for a year and would just like to clear up a few things.

However there are a few grey areas that I think that I need to develop on. My workflow currently consists of working in this linear pattern.

Maya -> Photoshop -> Render -> Tweaking
UDK

However within these aspects of my workflow there are a few things I downfall on looking at the way the Polycount users approach their work.

Within Maya I usually start off with a few reference photo's and start modeling from there. I've seen many users on this forum board that tend to work by creating Lo-Poly models and then creating Hi-Poly models to accompany the existing model. Is this how I should be working within maya to present my work to the best of my abilities?

Also with UV mapping I have seem to hit a brick wall, I know the basics of how to get maps out and to gain great looking textures for my assets, I would love some tutorials or help on how to properly lay out my UV's to gain the best understanding about the processes involved.

After the process of modeling and laying out the UV's correctly I've got my hands on both Mudbox and Zbrush and have started digging my claws into them as much as I can. But when do I need to take models into ZBrush to further the detail?

The last piece of Advice or help is with texturing my models and which maps to use such as Normal maps, Diffuse, Specular and AO maps.

Sorry for wall of text, these are just a few things that are making me feel like I am Banging my head against a brick wall! :poly127:

Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks Vocari... (a confused 3d artist :))

I will post some shots of my WIP and other bits and pieces shortly.

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Common approach for current-gen games :

concept > basemesh > Zbrush/Mudbox for the organic bits, Max/Maya/whatever for hardsuface SubD > build lowpoly game mesh to conform to highpoly > UV map > Generate normal map and AO map > final colour/normal/spec/gloss etc maps > export to game engine.

This is just a basic version. You'll ideally be exporting part-finished versions to the game engine before finalising textures to make sure everything is looking as you expect. There will be tweaks involved all through the process as well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I always tend to use the initial base mesh for my in game model also, unless there is not enough detail in it or 'too much' or the client demands that I optimize it
    I sometimes use 'cage' or use 'project all' to pop the low poly mesh to the high poly in zbrush so I don't get a melty silhouette
  • Vocari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Common approach for current-gen games :

concept > basemesh > Zbrush/Mudbox for the organic bits, Max/Maya/whatever for hardsuface SubD > build lowpoly game mesh to conform to highpoly > UV map > Generate normal map and AO map > final colour/normal/spec/gloss etc maps > export to game engine.

This is just a basic version. You'll ideally be exporting part-finished versions to the game engine before finalising textures to make sure everything is looking as you expect. There will be tweaks involved all through the process as well.

I'm definatly heading the right way with my current workflow and not far off there are just a few things I am unsure/fall down on.

I understand pretty much all of that besides the Hard surface SubD, I have had a browse around at what it is and still don't understand what it is, sorry if I seem to be asking silly questions I am relitvely new to the 3D production workflow.

Also UV mapping correctly seems to be a bit of a pain at the moment and I'm interested in knowing how to unfold and layout my UV's the correct way.

Could you possibly expand on these with a little more detail or point me in the direction of a thread that will explain it. :)

Thanks again!
  • Vocari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a 40 Minute model and texture something simple to show off the processes I currently use before porting it into UDK. Soon I will be using Mudbox within my workflow when I have sat down and leant the ins and outs. I would usually save this asset and leave it after I am happy with the textured version within UDK.

pillarmeshtexture.jpg

rendershots.jpg

I think the problem lies within learning - Hardsurface SubD, Zbrush / Muddy - UV mapping correctly.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    That's a nice looking colour texture there. The normal map is clearly made via the Nvidia filter, but it does the job ok for a quick asset.

Hard surface subdivision modelling is used instead of or alongside sculpting to make model parts that require a smooth surface with sharp edges. Examples are cars, robots, armour pieces etc. etc. It's also handy for all kinds of other things such as bundles of wires, ropes, chains, chainmail and so on. It is possible to use Mudbox or zbrush for this kind of thing, but it's very hard to get a truly mechanical-looking piece without spending ages on it, although some people can do it very well.

For a very simple example, make a cube in maya. Then do Mesh>Smooth. You've just made your first subD model :D
    For a much better explanation, try here : http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/page1.htm

If you give it a go, you might want to check out the sticky at the top of this forum to help you solve any problems : http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014
  • Vocari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thankyou so much for your help CheeseOnToast, I understand SubD modelling I just didn't know the techincal name for it. I tried it out on my pillar and got a very nice effect with it, I will work on this some more and make a high poly version and hopefully get it into Muddy and work with it a bit over the weekend.

Heres a quick shot of what I did with the pillar SubD.

subdpillar.jpg

Thanks again Cheese :)

A little less confused and more confident that I was on the right track with my work.