Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Repair Bay -- (new member)

So, this is my first post on here. I can't wait to see what kind of CC I'll get from the members here at Polycount.

Just to give you guys a small background on my project: It's my Senior Project and the scene that I am doing is a Hover Bike Repair Bay. It's supposed to be in the near future with some technologically advanced equipment.

So far, I've been doing some props. I have a WIP of my scene (missing a few things) but just so you guys can get a general idea of where I'm going with this.

Let me know what you guys think so far!

**Please note these are all Max Renders so far with basic lighting. I will be putting them into UDK as soon as I can with a more completed scene and better lighting.**

This is my Tileable Floor (low and high poly). The Low Poly is at 66 Tris. The textures are 512.
Floor_Tile.jpg

This is my Energy Lift for raising the bikes up into the air and getting repaired.

EnergyLift_HP.jpg

This is the Low Poly (without the robotic arms). It's at 3322 Tris. Textures are at 2048.

Energy_Lift.jpg

This is my WIP of my scene (missing a few assets)

RoomWIP.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for checking this out! More to come soon!

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    That energy lift is really nice, dunno why your low poly floor has so many tris, would expect it to be like, 2? no depth in it.
    could you post wires?

off note:
    what school are you attending?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I would probably take those wall panels and break them up with shelves of spare parts, engines, etc. It looks a little repetitive at the moment. It would break up the polygonal shape of the room nicely.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along nicely!

The floor, have you done a bump and spec map for it yet? It seems pretty flat.
    The logo on the door looks a lot like the US Postal Service logo...
  • xVenomWithinx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shrew81: I added depth to the tiles because I planned to have some lifted up or bent in. Like something heavy fell on them and shifted it. Also, I attend the Art Institute in SD.

@Baj Singh: That's a really good idea. Thanks for that. I'll try to add that in as soon as I can.

@Vig: The floor does have bump and spec. I would say it's the basic lighting setup I have in Max that's making it look like that. And the logo is actually a cropped/edited team logo for a high school football team. I just wanted something to represent speed lol
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Ai SD turns out a lot of decent game art. I rate you guys as the best Ai as far as the GAD programs right over us up here in the OC. Looking good man. Everything is looking great accept I, like shrew 81, am wondering what's the deal with so many tris on the floor piece?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    now thats a good start!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Aaron its a good start and glad to see you finally posting.

I agree with a lot of what was already said for things like the logo and what not.

As for crits of my own. Your HP's have to many 90 degree angles on things, this will not produce proper normal maps, you need to give them a bit of an angle. Rays are cast from the face of the polygon and if there is something with a 90 degree angle its not going to pick up any of that depth information.

The floor texture you made should just be tiled on the floor. You shouldnt have a bunch of cube modeled out shapes to make up for the floor.

The energy lift looks very basic and dosnt have a ton of detailing too it. I know doing HP work is something new for you but even if you modeled in more cool and interesting shapes I think that could help out a lot more. I would suggest browsing concept.org and just start stealing cool looking concepts and try an incorporated some of the sci fi shapes and designs they make into your own.

The arms themselves also look very very basic blockout. I think you can do a much more complex design then the circles and blocks you have as arms now. Here is a good idea of what you should shoot for and use to steal parts/ideas from.

http://us.media.blizzard.com/starcraft2/images/artwork/ss39-hires.jpg

Finally ditch using max to do anything but model, get your stuff in Unreal, set up the scene and quickly set up the basic lighting style you want so when you are texturing stuff you can see how the lights effect the look of things. Also so you can see proper spec/normal.

Hope this info helps Aaron and you can make your scene kick ass!
  • xVenomWithinx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's been a while since I last posted, but school has been hell for me. Thanks for all the C&C. I re-did my robotic arms for my lift. I used the StarCraft 2 arms as reference along with some of the bits I had previously made on the old arms. Here is my close to finished render. Let me know what you guys think of it so far. Anything I could change or add, or is it fine as is?

Also, I'll be adding some detail the cables and the mantis arms.

RoboticArm_HP_FinalWIP.jpg

Thanks!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Awsome work so far, Venomwithin.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff dude.

I'm really digging the your hp work. :thumbup:
  • xVenomWithinx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, been a really long while since i last posted anything on here.
    well, here's my robotic arm fully textured! let me know what you guys think!
    RoboticArm.jpg

and here is my full environment! this is what i have so far. still working on a lot of things, but any CC would be much appreciated! :D

Highres_Screenshot_1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_2.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    nice arms!
    The emissive bits, the flat grey bits, and the walls all look like they need alot of work, something to break up the flat colors, but like your post says, im assuming there are a lot of wip bits.

speaking of bits, your room looks very low, very claustrophobic, and seemingly cluttered with all of the arms going in different directions, yet when you take a look, it looks empty.

I would raise the roof around the energy lift, or add some lights, toolboxes, or something to take the eye upwards.

looking around the room, it looks like a single entity without anything connecting this tiny room to anything else. an obvious door, vent shafts, or shafts leading to light sources in the roof would give a more based feeling to this.

I think all of the items look very good and promising, but the composition of your final shots should be taken into consideration.
    Keep updating! :)
  • xVenomWithinx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81: yeah, i'm still working on the emissives and my walls. the room does feel empty cause i still haven't made my main prop that'll go in the energy lift (machine being repaired). once that is done, i'll scatter pieces around the room and put some on the shelves and what not. OH! and there's a door in there...it's just not lit up cause i haven't added the light meshes (and lights) to it. but just and fyi, it's in front of the ramp lol. i'll take into consideration what you said about drawing the eyes upward and i'll definitely be posting more WIPs soon.
    thanks for taking the time to look at my stuff and giving me some feedback! much appreciated :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking nice but I feel the excessive chipping of the yellow metal part doesn't read right at any distance. imo randomly chipped edges would look better, it's probably clich
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks promising Venom, one thing I keep on noticing with some of the sci-fi repair bayish environments is that the metal materials all tend to be black, monochrome and have chipped areas is odd sports, I think Racer's metal painting tutorial may help out a bit.

The tiles and works look good, but I think if you add some discoloration and tone/color variations in the metal it would help sell the the look.

I'd like to see that arm thing animated if possible.