Home General Discussion

Contracted Job Survival Guide

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
So, it is very possible within the next few weeks that I could be getting hired on in a contracted position. The position is on site and requires relocation. Being that the term is only 6 months, it presents quite a few questions as far as planning.

I am curious from others in the industry that have survived 3, 6, 12 month contracted gigs, what exactly you did as far as housing and transportation? Is it even possible to get a lease on an apartment of 6 months? I've done an internship before where I had to walk quite a bit to get to work.. which wasn't an issue until grocery shopping! I was supplied the housing, so this is a new adventure for me. Anyways, I just wanted a few helpful hints from some veterans. Maybe you will spark a few ideas that might open a few doors for me.

Thanks, as always!

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    6 month leases are harder to find, but yes, they aren't that uncommon.

Buy a car if you can't find a place nearby and if there's no public transportation.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    just go for it.

If nothing is holding you down (wife, kids, money, ect) then just pack your shit and hit the road. Bam! adventure time!

I just moved down to san diego on the wim for a contract artist position. it could go anywhere from 3 months to a year, hopefully longer but there are no guarantees. I could be looking for rent money in the next few months, but hey; the bottom line is that you really never know. As for as renting goes find a cool dude off the internet or local postings. Find something that doesn't "Lock" you in for 6 months to a year. if possible. Month to month.

gluck!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Fortunately I am not restrained by a family yet, so I am free to move easier. I guess it is always daunting to completely get up and move. Thanks for the tips so far, I am definitely getting a car this time and hopefully I can find a place for month by month or short lease intervals.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Craigslist and googlemaps should give you advance info in most cases (unless the location is somewhere outside a major city). Like figure out transportation options (will you need a car, can you bus it, can you bike it, walk home in the dark, etc.), distance from malls, etc. Streetview the site too if you can to find out if the place is in some fancy neighborhood or just a warehouse in an industrial area.

Figure out holidays in advance too during this contract. You may want to plan ahead and visit home or go elsewhere during stat holidays. Is your temp housing safe for your stuff while you're away or should you rent a storage shed. etc. etc.

I'd checked out latest crime reports too if it's in a big city. That way you can avoid the hotspots once you move there.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    I did this once for a contract position. It was awesome! My only advice is don't take large things that you can't break down. Also get an inflatable mattress!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    You can usually find 6 month leases through apartment buildings that are managed by larger companies.

I don't know where you are moving to but all of the major grocery stores in my area now offer delivery for very small fees (as low as $5 in some cases).
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Pseudo wrote: »
    You can usually find 6 month leases through apartment buildings that are managed by larger companies.

I don't know where you are moving to but all of the major grocery stores in my area now offer delivery for very small fees (as low as $5 in some cases).

Never knew that. I'll have to look into it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Month-to-month leases are also an option. I rented a condo(that i believe was attempting to be sold?) with a month-to-month lease when i was in San Diego. Thats probably the best option if you can find it.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    You could always try to see if anyone at this new studio needs a roommate :D Ive heard of a lot of single guys doing that, it saves you from the commitment of signing a lease, and they would save money on bills, its a win win. It couldn't hurt to ask, and you might make a good friend in the process.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I moved from MN to WA for work 2 years ago almost. I had a 9 month contract, then luckily got asked to come back again, and have been back for about the same amount of time now.

I moved out here with alot of luggage on a plane, because my car was shit, and setup an apartment before hand. Then my dad helped me move in, and I was on my own for a bit, them my buddies from college drove out and we all rented an apartment.

But like others said, if u can, go for it, because it's an adventure, and any experience helps.