Home Technical Talk

Maya 2009: Uv 1:2 rotation issue

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
It seems as if when your UV's image ratio is changed from 1:1 into 1:2 or 2:1, the snaps and rotation become broken. Snapping verts will spaz-out and rotating elements will skew to undesired shapes.

Is the polycount community aware of a solution to these issues?

I'm also curious if 3ds Max still has this problem, as I've run into it in the past. I just can't recall seeing it in the newer versions.

Comments welcomed!

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    They're not actually skewing it's an optical illusion. The easiest way around this is to not use the image ratio toggle and just map everything in square mode it's a lot easier to wrap your head around. I think this is how all uv editor work? I remember we discussed this on polycount a long time ago. I think the confusion comes from the uv mapper always projecting square but you are using a rectangle texture so. Easiest way to under stand it is create a square and rectangle version of a checker texture and map those both to the top of cylinders then apply planar maps to both. The rectangle one will look skewed because the uv map applied is square and your textue is not so you have more density in one direction.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm: No, Max's UV editor is much nicer for non-square textures. It stretches the UV square and while you're still mapping in a 0-1 range, it correctly compensates for the "squash" when you rotate, so if you rotate something 90 degrees it actually preserves the aspect ratio instead of stretching it like crazy.
    This makes a lot more sense and actually means you can work effectively at non-square ratios without having to re-scale stuff afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to emulate this behaviour in Maya, so instead you should just treat half the UV square as you maximum range, map it like that, then scale it up vertically/horizontally by 2x as required.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    there is no fix for the uv snapping issue
    but as for the rotation . . .
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1072302&postcount=84
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    chronic: Yep, that's cool - unfortunately it doesn't fix dynamic rotation at non-square aspect ratios. This is something that Max has had for literally 5 years or more...
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    No PoP (i mean MoP) don't get your belt, i promise ill do better next time . . . pinky swear . . . scouts honor . . . i tried to be good . . . please just not the . . .