Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Exam Room

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Put this up on a another forum. Looking for a second opinion.

Here are three other paint overs.

Left: Really hot, humid, and dusty.
Middle: Really hot and humid.
Right: Muggy, sticky, hot, and moist.

samexam8.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Dusty should have less floor reflection.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    What sort of feedback do you want?

I like the middle one best, but I would say a mix of middle and right would work best. I think the right one has better shadows...
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    What sort of feedback do you want?

I like the middle one best, but I would say a mix of middle and right would work best. I think the right one has better shadows...

I'm trying to get a moody dramatic atmosphere with the lighting. I think I also like the middle to right pics. Want to combine the two somehow.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I like the hard light coming in from the window in the middle, but I like the darker, more crisp shadows of the right. The left one is too bright and blurry... Is this a paintover of something in an engine already?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats causing the harsh dark area in the light shining through? I don't see anything in the picture that really justifies it looking like that.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the middle one, but try to tone down the light coming in a little bit. Not nearly as much as the one on the right, but maybe 25 percent less intense.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay these are the last paint over updates. Next is to make the necessary changes in UE3. I wish I had UDK but I don't think my computer's graphics card could handle that. Oh well. :(

samexam9.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Looking cool :)

also... UDK is UE3 (few bits and pieces spruced up)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro wrote: »
    Looking cool :)

also... UDK is UE3 (few bits and pieces spruced up)

Thanks! Yeah I could put it on there but the computer is not mine and I dont want to risk having it crash and lose shit. I'm getting a new computer soon however.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling it done on this room. Time to move on. First time actually working inside of UE3 and found it pretty easy to work with. I encourage hard criticism from all. I can take it!

2cwo5r7.jpg

30vnn6w.jpg

1zlxgrc.jpg

2ivzj91.jpg

8vsmpt.jpg

ajl3iu.jpg

2wgw28m.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    i really can't put my fingers on it, but your first overpaint posts had a much nicer lighting situation than your final results.
    they were moody and mystifying but the last shot is just blörp - i don't know i don't get a nice scary rotten abandoned shiver when looking at the pictures. the first shots had some color variation here and there. i just think it's a shame you put so much time and thoughts into the coloring of your textures, yet all output you got is brownishgreyish-soup.
    i totally understand that you wanted a dirty feel of things, but in the first shots i could see the slight blueish colors of the wall tiles, but in the end it's not there anymore.

to sum it up. i think the lighting doesn't sell the high quality of your assets and could and should be improved to really get an awesome scene in the end instead of some generalized brown borscht. to me it's really the environment color that burns this piece for me and doesn't read as you anticipated it to be (hot, humid, sticky,...)

and to be honest again, 80% of my crits could just be wiped away with saying that's the atmosphere you wanted to create :D
    i just don't like the brown/grey era :D

wonderful pieces in your scene - loving the details you put in there - lighting is something we could argue about for hours :D
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was concerned about the environment looking too brown. Mainly because I want to reveal more of the detail and I also thought it was too dark. Here's my original lighting or the left. The one on the right was the brownish lighting. Do you think I should have kept the one on the left? I think the one on the left looks better because of the light and dark contrast.

2dwbyus.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    from the contrasting point it looks better to me. gives spots the eye can move around quickly, catching all details. but of course the wall details are lost cause they can't be seen :o
    really tough call, you got on this :/
    and on top of that, having the scene that dark wouldn't work with the daylight lighting coming through the windows, right ?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True. I'll tweak the lighting a bit more on this. I think I strayed too much away from the paintover.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update of the same shots without the heavy brown lighting. All critiques welcomed.

35cq60w.jpg
    15wf4i8.jpg
    28jfmg2.jpg
    14kusr7.jpg
    dz8bj8.jpg
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    Overall it's a great looking scene. :thumbup: The lighting is hard to pin down since we're only seeing the one room. More brown? Less brown? I can't say for sure. In a game, there might be more stuff before or after this to provide context and inform that decision.

My suggestions:

- The scene could use a stronger focal point, like a bed with blood stained sheets directly under the light. Maybe some strange and painful looking medical tools on a tray - or at least some more evidence of what happened here. This scene sort of suggests a back story without actually delivering one.

- The target practice posters are an odd choice. It doesn't make sense without more context. Firing a weapon in that room would be suicidal. :)

- With so many missing tiles on the wall I would expect to see some on the floor too.

- At the top of the tile wall where the brightest light hits, there is a harsh line separating the bright wall and dark ceiling. It doesn't look natural. I would drop a small light in there to fake some light bouncing onto the ceiling. I would also put some kind of trim strip or grime decal to soften that harsh edge.

- Are the walls and floor BSP? Maybe try a higher resolution in their light maps. I think the shadows could be a little sharper.

- There is some UV waste in the sink texture. You could pack that tighter and get more pixels on the actual model. Definitely don't spend so many pixels on the bottom of the sink which is hardly seen - unless that asset will be reused in different orientations elsewhere in the game. I'm being picky, of course, but it's something to consider for next time.

Again, really nice work! I look forward to seeing what you do next.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for that great critique dlx. I'll definitely put this advice to use. I'm gonna take a break on this for now and move on to a different project.