Home Technical Talk

Uv normal map alignment help etc.

Hey guys!

Currently dabbling in the arts of normal map baking and UV layout. Currently ive made a simple object in my eyes, to do a high to low poly bake. its just a simple bin.

At the moment, ive run across some questions. I understand there will be alot of problems, pointing them out will be great as well as emphasising how it can be resolved will be a great help as this is all hobby based learning until i get into uni.

Rendered image of the normal map shown.
binthing.jpg

The Normal map bake, from projection mapping, nothing edited in photoshop yet.
BinNormalsMap-1.jpg

BinNormals2.jpg

Questions:

1. As can be seen in the normal map, the top part of the bin, where the lid is, appears fine on 3d, but its fairly distorted on the normal map as well as other baked textures, im assuming this is from me straightening the UV lines. should i not do this, is there a certain technique to mapping differents parts, should actually create a seam between the half sphere and the cylinder base?

2. there are kinks in the 3d rendered low poly piece, this is due to the amount of polygons within the cylinder, ill use more polygons as necessary although how many sides would anyone use on this prop for a bin just for a general idea?

Any ideas would be great :) cheers!