Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

kittyPilot - need some finishing ideas PLZ

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kypo polycounter lvl 17
Hey, been working on this character off an on while having some time off this month and am getting to the stage where the hi res is done, but some thing doesn't feel right. i'm thinking of adding some more detail into the jacket to balance it out some more with the lower half. C&C always welcome.

front2.jpg
back2.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the knee location looks rreally weird. and so to the calf area, i'd look into some anatomy tweaks

the clothing looks pretty nice. tho the main prob,, it loosk nothing like a cat or a kitty more like some kinda kangaroo rabit thing. if its suposed to be cat like, you should work on a lotta thing,

claws not finger and toe nails, long tail, ear and mouth shape, shape of the pupil,
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything Rhinokey says, I'd also add the legs are a little too far apart.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Looks more like a rabbit (especially with the ball tail) then a cat (I assume that is what you want since "kitty"). For a cat the ears are too big and thick.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The legs have too many joints in them. He's got two ankles on either leg. If you take the heel and move it up to where the superfluous joint in the middle of the leg is, you'll be on the way to a character that works better. It'd feel a bit more natural if you bent the knees a bit too.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, thanks for the feedback. I started the character so long ago that i can't remember if he was ment to be a cat, rabbit or mouse-y sort of character.

@Rhinokey & @BlackulaDZ: I've brought the legs closer together to see if they look better.

@Jackablade I've quickly set them in a pose for the legs to show there the joints are ment to be. now that i have posistioned them i'm not so sure it works with 3 joint and am thinking of setting it to have one knee joint as hopefullt the knee pads won't need to bend so much.

ScubaSteve: yeah he does need some goggles. i did think about them sitting on his forehead but as he doesn't have one i didn't add them but i'm thinking that maybe them just sitting over his eyes will looks ok.

front3.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Ohh, just did a 10 minute paint over, now I read you last post... lol

Take from it what you will, was gonna say, if it was a cat, it's a cat as described by Baldrick in the Black Added III episode where they have to rewrite the dictionary ie:"not a dog".

If you do decide on a particular animal, be sure to use plenty of ref, as while individually looking okay, the sum of the parts makes a frankenstein's monster.

catpaint.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'd shrink the boots so they weren't so long and redesign them to fit a cats foot, not a humans.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with johnnySix on this, I thought it was a dog, and still do. His suggestion nails pretty much all the points that would make it look like a cat.

Also curious, why does he have a bunny tail of sorts? Is it somethign he uses to tuck his tail away? I say, let the tail free!
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can so see this guy becoming a pug.

pug.jpg
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Hello,

back onto cat dog hamster creature and have geared him alot more to being a pug after some good suggestions. here is work so far.

dog01.jpg
    dog02.jpg
    dog03.jpg
    dog04.jpg

C&C always welcome.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The top half looks like a solid and good design. Maybe an extra finger and more thumb-love could be something to think about? Anyway. I really don't think the pants are working out. They feel more like something a commando would wear and they're very slim / tight. Just a suggestion :)

s7-air-force-fighter-pilot.jpg

108809923211389293029_1.jpg

Image.po?pn=0060557&size=large
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main thing about the legs that puzzled me, is why would a pilot wear knee protectors? Wouldn't they just become annoying in the already small cockpit?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    bbob wrote: »
    The main thing about the legs that puzzled me, is why would a pilot wear knee protectors? Wouldn't they just become annoying in the already small cockpit?

To block those pesky knee seeking bullets. :poly142:
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    It lives! yep still doing this character.

Finally decided to stop after changing the trousers after some good feedback. I really like topogun. its so quick and you can get a really accurate low poly model created quickly. so very impressed with it.

heres some screen grabs with the maya shader with a AO and normal bake out of xnormals.

Puglow_1.jpg

Puglow_2.jpg

the heads currently got a 512 and the body using a 1024. tho i'm thinking of pushing these up to a 1024 for the head and a 2048 for the body as i'm afriad the colour map will look a bit fuzzy.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice bake, not sold on the tail, also something keeps sending me the hamster or rodent message, might be the nose, not sure
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hands are wrong, not enough digits:

pawprint.jpgcanine-front-paw-bones-compare.jpeg
  • missberetta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add some logos and badges to the jacket, like on this aviator jacket.

You could go all creative and use puns in the logos, referring to his pug-ness.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Where your upper lip is a ^ actual pugs have a more rounded shape, and they have the lower jaw a bit more forward too. The eyes are a bit off too, partially by being placed more like a human (which makes sense in this case) but also because they're not droopy enough and he looks drugged/startled.
    pug.jpg

I'm not a fan of the tail either, it looks like some sort of horn. And of course you're still missing the hair texture on the unclothed parts.