Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Greg Strangis Portfolio

Hey everyone!! I have been a member for quite a few months but mostly lurking around and checking out all the amazing work posted on these forums. I figured I should start to assimilate myself more and so I am posting up some of my works for you guys to see. Here is just a few that I like the most and there is many others on my portfolio site which can be viewed here http://gregstrangis.carbonmade.com/

I am currently working on some new stuff as well which is more character specific so I will be sure to keep you guys posted! I am also currently in the job market right now looking for a position as a 3D Modeler.

Thanks for looking!

Best Regards,
Greg Strangis
http://gregstrangis.carbonmade.com/
800x1259.jpeg
800x800.jpeg
755x1200.jpeg
800x1050.jpeg

Replies

• MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man you got some sick work!

I got a question though...are you looking for a job in the games industry? I ask because you don't seem to have any game models in your portfolio.

Everything looks like it's high-poly zbrush sculpts....or just too high to be in-game.

Also, I think if you're planning to be a character to artist you should have more full-body characters. You have plenty of busts but not enough complete characters.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Dammit...double post.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Greg! Good to see you on here! The creature for Evolve came out great man, and your work in general is super solid. As AutopsySoldier pointed out I think your portfolio could benefit greatly by making some real-time normal mapped meshes (if you plan on working in gaming that is). Doing some really nice looking human characters is always good as well, you definitely have the creatures down :)

Best of luck to you dude, I really look forward to seeing more work from you. I'm sure we'll run into each other at Evolve.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    some awesome work, hard to crit any of that! i would personally ditch the carbonmade site if anything and go for your own website. it would give your works a more personalized home/presentation
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff man. I agree with the above comments regarding game art. But as sculpts these things kick ass.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Fantastic work, Greg. Some of the better hires character work I've seen in a long while.

For me though, your texturing doesn't work. A lot of it seems jumbled together or not well fitting with other elements within the texture. The models themselves are really really superb though.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Can't say I agree with Vassago on this one, I like the diffuse textures as they are and find them pretty easy to read. Top work.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I do agree with trying to show off your stuff on a more personalized site, not that there is something wrong with carbonmade its just that it seems more professional. When it comes to the content dude, you are top shelf, sculpting skills that are neck braking. Only thing I would suggest is that is to try to diversify a bit more in the sculpts. Right now you have only two full body sculpts, the rest are heads and busts.Maybe some character that is dressed(uniform,casual or sumthin) so you can show of something in that department, cause now all your characters are naked. Keep up the killer work!
  • GregStrangis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autopsy, Beartraps, pestibug, coldhands - I agree with what all you guys are saying and currently I am working on a full body game rez character to put on my site. I will also be working on a few other projects that will be full pieces as well.

Autopsy - Thank you!
    Beartraps - Hey man! I look forward to meeting you at Evolve as well!
    Unleashed - Thank you! I am using carbonmade right now because my old site was pretty crappy to see my work. Once I get situated and have money I will get it done right.
    pestibug - Thank you!
    Vassago - Thank you very much! The texture work could use a lot of love on my pieces. I really want to push that more in my future projects and I will. Glad you like my sculpting!
    CheeseOnToast - Thank you!
    coldhands - Thank you man! I agree that my work needs to show more diversity as well. The next 2 projects will give me just that!

Thank you all for the comments!! I also wanted to post that I placed first in Modeling and Texturing categories for the contest!! I can't even say how happy I am!! I will also get a 3D print of the model which I will post once I get pictures =)

Here is some more shots of the creature.
    800x800.jpeg

800x1167.jpeg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Some great pieces here Greg, really dig the attention to anatormy as you show you have a good knowledge on how to go about it. Love the hulk, and looking forward to some of the game meshes as I know of a few places that I could probably help you with.

Spark
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great body of work Greg and congrats on the Hunter challenge!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    stuff looks awesome, although you seem to have a lot of empty uv space on your pieces.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    beautiful work all round, the hybrid alien rocks!