Home Technical Talk

Maya batch render bug

hey guys makin an animated show reel since some companies seem to want that instead of stills. ive run into a bit of an issue and the render diagnostics arnt helping much, all they tell me is that 2048 textures may be inefficient.

the issue is that when i do a test render using the regular render methods and mental ray it renders perfectly, but when i try to batch render the animated version the lighting is much darker than the standard 1 frame render, and two pieces of my mesh dont render at all, ive played with mats and render settings all weekend, and run about 3 batch renders all with the same results.

any ideas on this would be super helpful, ive never seen this before :(

-Woog

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    A few questions:

1) What are your render settings for the batch render?
    2) Are you using render layers? If so are all the lights/objects in those layers?
    3) What version of Maya?

The only things I can think of are if you're using render layers, you might not have included that light and some of the mesh in the render layer. The only other thing I can think of is that if you're using Mental Ray as your renderer, that it doesn't like certain file types.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya 8.5

no render layers

and what settings are you referring to the project settings or the render settings?

render settings, common

frames 1-264 frame padding 4
    layered psd
    hd 720
    rendering persp camera

mental ray production quality
    with aa switched Mitchell
    raytracing with 3 reflections 3 refractions trace depth 10
    final gather on
    and global illumination on
    auto photon volume on

im using three lights two spot and one spot with area turned on, all casting photons at the default values

i can get more detail when i get home but thats what i remember for now
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Try outputting as .tif or regular .psd that should solve the problem.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok hope your right! :(
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I'm fairly certain, I usually output either .tif or maya .iff depending on what program your going to use to composite because they contain an alpha channel and they've treated me well in the past, I've never used layered psd's but from the looks of your settings it seems to be the only thing that jumps out and says "this could cause a problem." Of course I could be wrong, but let's hope not.