Home General Discussion

In search of advice/guidance/peers

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Steen polycounter lvl 16
Hi polycounters. I've been a long-time reader of the forums, and I've posted a few times in the past. I'm currently in a weird career limbo, and I'm trying to find a some direction and focus.

My current situation is this: I got an animation degree in 2003, and then left it alone for a couple of years. In '05 I got lucky and found work making low-poly prop models for a little software developer. I did that until Jan '09 when the 3d portion of the company pretty much went bankrupt. Since then I've been out of the industry working in an office pushing paper.

Ultimately I want to be in the game industry. It's been my goal for years, but for many reasons (probably primarily related to self motivation and focus) it has remained unachieved. Somehow I got to be ten years older than most of the new game company hires and I'm sitting here stagnating.

I am not posting this to have some kind of pity party. I'm looking for a foothold.
I need to create new work, and lots of it. This much is obvious to me. The major question is, what should I be working on to get my foot in the door? I put together a website and blog for myself this past summer: www.steen3d.com
I would greatly appreciate some professional feedback to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks, and props to you if you read this whole block of text.

Chris

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If you are a 3d modeling and Animation Degree Grad. By forging your portfolio website, you are on the right track. All you need to do is practice modeling/animating models and expand your portfolio. From model sketches to 3d models, 3d enivonment. If you have learned the UDK and are able to make a short game for your portfolio, thats a plus.

You can try small 2 year courses of game design or 1 year rather. (depending on where you live)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Pimping and Previews
    Use this forum to show off your artwork and get feedback. If you don't want to create a new thread you can always use the existing What Are You Working On? thread.