Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

fire axe WIP (newbie warning)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
sup

so after a few failed projects, i'm making a fairly simple model so that i can experiment with some texturing.

i'm so unfamiliar with photoshop that i could probably do better in paint at the moment, but we'll see...

does anything look horribly wrong and mangled so far?

1086a6s.png

Replies

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Poly distribution looks fine so far! Second loop back from the bladed tip might be unnecessary, doesn't really seem to define anything. Done the UVs yet?
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then i'm on the right track!

yeah that loop is a mistake. i completely forgot about it! thanks for reminding me.

i've not done any UVs yet. i wanted to make sure the model was alright before i moved onto that.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right. i've made a few changed to the models (deleted unnecessary shit to reduce the triangle count), and i've tried to unwrap it. yell at me if there's anything i've done wrong.

also, what's with the weird black parts? are they just shadows, yeah?

20qmmqf.png

348ox0k.png
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're definitely on the right track. For the unwrap, you'll want to try to fill that square area as efficiently as possible, to make sure you get as much out of your texture as possible. Scale and rotate your UV shells to try to fit them in such a way that you eliminate as much blank space as you can. It is also a good idea to try to have your UV edges as straight as you can get them without stretching it too much. This will make painting the texture easier, and is also better for baking normal maps.

As for the black parts, I can't really tell from this image, but they usually mean either flipped normals or smoothing errors.

Keep up the good work
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    If I were you, I'd have the UVs for the handle in a straight line on the top and bottom. That'll make it much easier to paint out the seams. I know some people aren't a big fan of this whole process, but the inaccuracy on a model like this can easily be ignored.

I also assume you're going to use a 2:1 scale texture?
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks seany and zwebbie! much appreciated.

this is what i did with the UV:

qs5jqp.png

I figured i'd do it like that so I could get more detail into the handle, instead of having it all in the axe head. am i doin' it right?

also, what exactly do you mean by a 2:1 scale texture? i'm dumb
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    He meant something like 256x128, that sort of image resolution ratio. Your last UV setup seemed to favor it. The new setup is something I would not personally do... the long UV strips would be best left either vertical or horizontal, since that is how pixels are arranged when you texture it.

One thing you could do is add a seam between the two handle parts... where the wood/plastic grip part meets the bit before the head. Then you could scale them up a bit and keep them in a 90-degree position.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    double posts... polycount, you misbehave!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea, a 2:1 texture ratio would be best, and would work the best with your first layout. The easiest way to do this (in maya, I assume its the same for max), is to layout your uvs so that they fill up exactly 1/2 of the square. Then once you are done, you scale the uvs vertically up to 2 so that they fill the whole square. Then when you export out the uv map, you choose 1024x512 as the size, and the scaled uvs will be back to normal size for texturing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Or you could split the stick part in two, it looks as if you have 1 half wood/steel, and 1 half rubber grip. you could separate the two and put them underneath eachother.
    Also, you seem to have plenty of space left, so there's no need to mirror the axe head.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2n748eu.png

did you mean something like this, predator? i'm not sure if i understand entirely
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yeah that works better
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, it should look like that when you export the uvs and texture it, and like this inside of the 3D program in the 0/1 space.

2n748eu.gif
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Watch that top and bottom piece on the metal part. You should try and keep parts that are the same... part... the same size. That made no sense? Try and keep your metal parts as close to size on your UV sheet, as they are on the mesh... (eg. the top and bottom pieces look thinner than they actually are on your mesh). When you add that checker pattern, all the checkers should be roughly close to the same size. Obviously you're handle checkers will be bigger, since it's smaller on your UV sheet, but it should spread across each part evenly....
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i reckon you mean metal part as in axe head? i hope this is better:

mvq4wp.png

if this is alright, i'm going to move on to texturing it.

does anyone have any hints, tips or tutorials that might help? i literally don't know where to start
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah sorry I'm not thinking straight today :)

The two pieces on the bottom still seem too thin? Maybe it's just the angle you have the axe at, but it looks like the top and bottom should be wider on the UV sheet.

As far as texturing goes, I would start with the handle. That's going to be easier to texture than the head will be. Just get some photo ref's from cgtextures.com (if you're going for realism). Paste them in and start messing around with them.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, i thought they looked fine when i looked at the first, but i looked a bit closer, and you're right. increased their width a tiny bit. have a look:

eb26go.png

zwaj5.png
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    looks good. u should use another texture to check if your unwrap is good tho.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, i hate this. this is how far i've gotten:

8zo2eb.png

11j6535.png

i have no idea what i want to do with the rest of the handle. i'm thinking rubber, but how the hell do i make rubber.

and i don't even know about the head. im so confused. need to look up some general tutorials for photoshop, because i don't know what the hell i'm doing.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more contrast on the wood probably.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fwkew3.png

is this any better, achillesian? the difference is pretty small but i didn't want to over do it. hmmm.

anyways, the rubber looks like crap. any ideas?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    How do you make rubber? You don't. Some else already has. Check out and search www.cgtextures.com for a nice, appropriate, image of rubber and edit it to suite your texture's needs.

There are tons of photoshop tutorials - google that sheit. The wood looks alright, try playing around with the dodge and burn tool to add some more detail to it.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    keep in mind some surfaces wont look how there supose to with out an appropriate specular on it. i find rubber and plastics fall into that category most the time. the wood looks fine. it also looks brand new, which as a portfolio piece ='s boring.

a prop is just a prop with out a story to it. think up some type of life this axe has had and then bring that into the texture work. it will make it far more interesting to view.

if your getting stressed over placing a tileable piece of wood texture on a uv, this might not be the profession for ya..... this is an extremely easy prop to do, you should be enjoying it and trying to learn from it.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i realize it'd look better if it was abit worn, which is also what i'm ultimately going for. i was thinking i'd just get the base materials down before doing the details.

i would probably be enjoying this more if i had used photoshop for anything else than tweaking the color balance in photographs beforehand.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    if you want to get the wood right.. you need to start with a better source. lighter woods tend to be either softoods (not great for axes) or untreated (same). look for a nice red dark wood it would have been treated much the sameas a hardwood floor. so thats probably a good place to look for refs. :) try CGtextures under wooden floors. make sure you get one without the gaps between planks. :P you can PS them out but if your not comfortable with it look up info on the clone/stamp tool :P
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Nistrum wrote: »
    lighter woods tend to be either softoods (not great for axes) or untreated (same).

Thats not quite true, a typical wood for handles is ash, its extremely hard and a very common woodtype for tools like hammers and axe's, and its a very bright grain. http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/14-ash-axe-handle?source=froogle
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    wow.. thats what i get for living in a country without fire axes :P the axes i have in my garage are all trated hardwoods.. hence the dark colours :) thanks for correcting me
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    A quick google search for lumber jack axe turned up some decent photos. Just take a look around and take note of how a life of use bring on certain wear and tear in specific spots. Take your time and enjoy =)

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/7/4/3/4/1/ar120541345114347.jpg

http://www.mikaelstrandberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Axes.jpg
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, guys. appreciate the help!

i've been messing around. starting to get more comfortable with photoshop now, so here's what i have so far:
    3442jp1.png

i redid the rubber, messed around with the wood texture so it'll look older/more worn
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    28k26fp.png

so i did the axe head and i got rid of those terrible burn marks. i'm not sure what i've done with it is working terribly well.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I'd recommend roughing it up a bit. If it's a fire axe, unless it's brand new it would be pretty worn. I'd suggest putting chips in the blade, but that suggestion might come too late, since you've already unwrapped and textured it. It's your call. :)
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i suppose i should've done that to give it some character, but it's really just something i made to practice texturing something. thanks for the suggestion, though, MegaMoogie! :)