Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Browning MG WIP

Started a new model for my portfolio. Got a WWII M1919 Browning MG here w/ammo box. Gonna keep going with and make a mini scene as a MG Nest complete with sandbags and others props. Still gotta texture and normal map this. All C&C welcome.

mghighpoly.jpg

High Poly

mghighpolyback.jpg

High Poly Back

mglowpoly.jpg

Low Poly

mglowpolyback.jpg

Low Poly Back

mgwireframe.jpg

Low Poly Wireframe

mgwireframeback.jpg

Low Poly Wireframe Back

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like it.

The low poly little too high poly for low poly standards, it seems like you have some extra edges/verts between the holes in the barrel and quite a few extra edges in the main part, that if optimized might save a hefty chunk of tris. You might also be able to normal map the holes and use just a cylinder for the barrel.

There are also some tiny details that seem to be missing. They're small details you could pack into the high or into the normal map that would help boost the detail.
    browning4.jpg

I'm not sure the handle on the ammo box needs to be modeled into the low poly you could probably get that done with normal maps.

Overall, nice work so far!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    The low poly little too high poly for low poly standards

Say that six times fast.

I like it, although the high-poly doesn't look that detailed...and you could definitely lower the count on the main body.
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could a lot, way too much tris in that barrel I think
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i lowered the amount for the low poly. most of it was in the barrel which is now basically a cylinder.
    mgwireframe.jpg
    most of the count is in the bullets and shells just because they are duplicated so much. the MG count is actually 2786 and the ammo box is 982.
  • tdunlavey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, I'm glad to see you changed the barrel. The most important thing to remember when modeling a low-poly game model is silhouette. (the 7 key in maya is your friend) With a game model, you want to make the silhouette as interesting as possible using the fewest amount of tris. That being said, I think you still have quite a bit of modeling to do!

Vig was right, you need some of those detail pieces protruding from the side of the gun. I would even go as far as to make 6-sided cylinders for those nuts/bolts on the side. I also think you should add a few more subdivisions to the barrel... It's TOO low poly now :). basically, you want as little faceting as possible, and if I were to run around to the front of that baby and look down the barrel, that 8-sided cylinder's gonna look like it was made for the playstation one rather than a next-gen game. don't be afraid to push it up to 12 subdivisions. Also, make sure to bevel some of those edges, the ones that especially need it are the hard edges on the top center piece of the tripod where all the legs connect. If this is a game asset, I wouldn't include all those empty shells as part of the model, they're taking up a lot of geometry. Overall, this is a solid start.

And lastly, some inspiration :)

http://3pointstudios.com/portfolio_weapons.shtml

Keep up the good work!