Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iron Lamppost

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
So I'm working on a few new things to put into my portfolio. This is the first prop in a series of three pieces all with the same cast iron theme.

Here is my highpoly. I'm calling this step done, but if you have anything to add let me know. Some of the smaller details I plan on adding into the texture later with the normal map filter.

Lowpoly soon to come :D

highpoly_sheet.jpg

Here is the original reference photo:

lampost.jpg

Replies

• NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to make this into a low poly?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeeesss, I plan on using alpha's for a lot of it.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    NoChance wrote: »
    Are you going to make this into a low poly?

She specifically stated that model was her high poly.

Firecracker, so far you're very accurate and the model is clean, if you have time I would also think about possibly sculpting in those designs you see in the middle section of the pole. Other than that, it should bake down fairly well. Just make sure you're extra careful with the extruded designs into a cylindrical plane, may be a pain to work with since you'll need a cage.

Nice work, keep it up. Love to see it in LP and textured.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The connection between the lamp part and the pole part is very flimsy, you want to thicken that up some. The indent you have modeled in all 4 supports is only visible in 1 on the photo, and it looks more like its broken, or a pouring bubble or something.

The rings and things around the pole are also a lot more angular then the real one.

Lastly you'll want to thicken up and round out the crowns because right now they'll end up a rather flat normal map.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! my only crit is that there's a lot of crisp edges in the detailing, like the rings under the crown. They look a bit wider/rounder in the original.

Seconding what Snader said about thickening things up. Since you're using planes for the lowpoly, a bit more of an exaggerated bevel to get a good read.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this part in the lowpoly, I'm afraid planes wont quite look right.

supports.jpg

Thanks for the other tips guys!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    You could try making each one of those an extruded shape (for the overall shape, and not the interior details), and fill in the surfaces with alpha'd stuff for the leafy details.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the lowpoly, I ended up getting a nice even number :D (after duplication)

Hopefully I get good results with the alphas for the supports.

lowpoly.jpg