Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Library Environment

Hey guys here is my library environment I have been working on for a while. let me know what you think. Any advice will be appreciated.

timgraybill.com

library-3.giflibrary-5.giflibrary-4.giflibrary-1.giflibrary-2.giflibrary-6.giflibrary-wire-1.giflibrary-wire-2.gif

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, the textures look good and the modelling also. The lighting is too consistent over the whole space, what i mean is everything is very lit from the light sources you have. Try and create some more contrast and focalise the interesting areas like the desk. It will probably mean darkening some areas down such as the rafters for example.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    1st. thing is i get this Bios shock feeling when looking at that stair case and the checker tile... Not sure if that's good or bad but its what came to mind with in .25 seconds of looking at you scene.

2nd is if its a library i would expect A LOT more books.

but everything else looks pretty good quality
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Nice scene, i'd take the saturation down a bit in the post process and the contrast seems a little high, you could tone down the textures or adjust the midtone values in the post process. Really quick adjustments to make. That big golden yellow sign is also a bit out of place. You might consider toning it down or adding other goldish objects in the scene, maybe decorate the staircases a bit with gold ornate stuff. The couch textures are also a bit noisey, could be smoothed out. Other than that great scene, everything's well planned and layed out, just needs a few tweaks!

Edit i just realized this might be in Max, if so disregard what i said about post process and just adjust the saturation in Photoshop, that's something you can do super fast in-engine anyway so it's not really "cheating". So my followup advice if this isn't in the Unreal Developement Kit is... get it in UDK :D
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    My first reaction was ... saturation too high. I love the lighting in the untextured render but I think that it is too uniform. You don't have hardly any dark contrasting shadows, even in the far nooks and crannies. Contrast this bad boy up and possibly tone down the colors a bit and you will have a winner!
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling and texturing-wise scene looks pretty cool.

Scene needs relighting though. Looks like you just placed bunch of omnis near lamps without tweaking their attenuation distance/shadows e.t.c.

I would start by introducing some low intensity, bluish or purplish ambient lighting (coming from windows) and strategically place high-intensity yellowish lights near areas of importance.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    It looks more like an office with books rather than a library. I'd suggest maybe bringing in some ladders so anyone can reach those difficult shelves at top. I really like how this piece ^_^
  • Timothy_graybill

Edit i just realized this might be in Max, if so disregard what i said about post process and just adjust the saturation in Photoshop, that's something you can do super fast in-engine anyway so it's not really "cheating". So my followup advice if this isn't in the Unreal Developement Kit is... get it in UDK :D

I have been contemplating weather I should put it in unreal or not. I dont know unreal that well but I think I can do it. If you guys knew of any free tutorials or good websites for unreal, that would be very helpful.

I agree with you guys about Its lighting problems. I've been having problems lighting it and had a hard time finding something I am happy with. I think I will mess with that to get it looking better.

Bioshock is right! I was thinking of that when I was laying out the room. but I did'nt want to just make a bioshock environment so I tried to make it unique but inspired by.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Putting it into Unreal would be a very good thing to do. I agree with all above about the saturation being to high, another thing that I noticed was the repetition of the wall dirt texture on all walls. You could easily just put some random dirt overlays to break it up a bit. I like the scene, good work so far! I'd look into www.3dbuzz.com for video tutorials they got some good ones, and also www.hourences.com GL!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i took the liberty of doing a basic colour correction on your image. I think the environment definately has potential but the lighting is letting it down at the moment. I took my lead from your skybox texture which has a lot more purple and reds in it, whereas currently your image is very very yellow right across the image.

If you can, add some glow to your wall lights as currently they dont look like they are illuminating the environment visually. I think, as mentioned previously you could get some more contrast into the image. Your scene has a natural focal point so think how you might direct a players eye around your environment using your lighting.

EDIT: my connection is playing up at the moment, ill upload later if possible.

My monitor is calibrated so depending on your monitor that may well appear too dark or contrasty.

Anyway, hope that helps a little bit. It really reminds me of scarlet monastry in wow for some reason. Cool stuff.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I agree. More books if it's a library. With high ladders too. Also the saturation is way high unless you're going for a cartoonish style. Other than that is looks good.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I like the saturation where it is! It has a warm, rich wooden feel, and if you desaturated it it would turn a generic muddy brown, which I hate! :P

I really like this piece. I think you could add alot more detail on individual textures just to make some things really impress. For example the upholstery on the sofas stands out as quite bland, The table lamps look quite dull up close and maybe some smaller details like a sign on the wall by the main desk to show where the doors lead, An extra knob on the end of the stair case banister...

basically the walls are very nicely detailed but some other props are lacking. Anyway, love the scene and I hope to see more!
  • innervision961
    I hope this isn't.... Chris' blood :poly121:
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the style! Nice one... just a fanboy post, sry, bit busy.
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I hope this isn't.... Chris' blood "

OMG I love you lol!!!!

WHAT IS THIS??? Oh it's blood!! I hope this isn't.... Chris' blood..

Awesome.

Anyway, the scene is looking good Tim. I agree with fearian on this one. Add some more small details. I am loooving this though.
  • Timothy_graybill
    hey guys, I've been working in unreal for the past few weeks. trying to get better at it. So here is the library environment in unreal so far. I know I got some issues going on but I wanted to see what you guys thought. also, I had some questions I just got some screen caps from unreal, Is there a better way to get images out of unreal. and I would eventually like to capture some video from it. I would like to get some info on that if anyone could help. thanks
    library_unreal4.giflibrary_unreal3.giflibrary_unreal2.giflibrary_unreal1.gif
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like this very much..
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome dude. Lighting is looking muuch better. Keep it up!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    How many polys is it?
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe some celling lamps, or your eyes will burn wen you start reading ^^

otherwise awesome work
  • psychoticprankster
    I like it apcept, id have some book shelves down stairs also and I saw your portfollio, I like your other work too, looks great.
  • Timothy_graybill
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    This is a very successful environment. I currently go to Ai-OC and will be graduating in December. It's good to see that there are some alumni that are very good at what they do. You'e an inspiration for sure. Thanks for sharing!
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much.. Wall, So less.. books.
    Its weird how the bookshelves upstairs with clock in the front go all the way up to the ceiling, almost impossible to reach for frequent readers. Also, the stairs seem to be blocking 1/3rd of the shelf along corresponding wall..
    Nice environment, neat stuff though!
    Grats!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking great! I really like the texturing style. It reminds me of WoW.

The only criticisms I have are the placement of some of the bookshelves. Placing bookshelves on the side of a staircase really doesn't make sense. It looks fine and I doubt many other people will care but it's something that I caught that I thought I'd point out. Also there's no way for someone to reach those high books. You should model out some sort of sliding staircase/ladder thing like this or this.

Great job!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Composition is eye catching, though very symmetrical. Great stuff!