Home Technical Talk

3Ds max Multiple uv sets

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to utilize multiple uvs sets in max, one set for a tiling color map texture (think a 512x512 carpet tiled), and one set to utilize an ambient occlusion map and blending between these two using a real time material.
I can do this in soft imagine using open gl and two open gl texture nodes but I'm at a total loss of how to get the same results in 3ds max.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem:

You can apply 2 separate UVW Unwrap modifiers to the model. Have the first one be set up for the tiled color map, and the other one set up for AO. In the parameters rollout under "channel," you can change the UV channel, so you'll want to have 2 different ones for the color and AO.

Once you have those, you can use the directX material, with the "standard" shader. Then you can set the color map in one of the diffuse slots, and there is an ambient occlusion slot as well. Just make sure that in the shader rollout you change the map channel to match the uv channel you used for that map.

Hope this helps!
  • Bam121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    No problem:

You can apply 2 separate UVW Unwrap modifiers to the model. Have the first one be set up for the tiled color map, and the other one set up for AO. In the parameters rollout under "channel," you can change the UV channel, so you'll want to have 2 different ones for the color and AO.

Once you have those, you can use the directX material, with the "standard" shader. Then you can set the color map in one of the diffuse slots, and there is an ambient occlusion slot as well. Just make sure that in the shader rollout you change the map channel to match the uv channel you used for that map.

Hope this helps!

perfect, works like a charm.

thanks