Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Thundercats Liono

Hi all-

this is something I started a while back before a LONG break to settle into a new job. I've decided to complete it though I'm not totally happy with it. It's my first shot at developing something from another person's concept art. I've taken quite a few liberties along the way and like I say, not happy with it but I'm determined to finish it.

The concept is from the (unproduced) Thundercats CG movie. The low poly is about done at 6.5k polys; I'll show when I've got some maps baked. Please ignore the hair, it's a placeholder as the realtime hair will be alpha planes. This hair just makes him look like Akuma's gay cousin.

Here it all is:

lionoconept-776302-1-1.jpg

liono1.jpg

Working on unwrapping for the low poly. And yes, he does have the sword of omens, it's just not in this pic :)

comments welcome :)

~P~

Replies

• ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    the arm needs more mass! They are to skinny compared to the concept version
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya...couldn't get his "bulky yet lithe" build right at all. I may take another shot though!

thanks!

~P~
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    The claw concept is awesome and you've carried it into your model really well! Kinda agree with ru4it on the bulk aspect tho, especially from the side view. Needs to wrestle a few more cans of Whiskas complete off Snarf!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    this is freakin sweet!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    this is such a cool idea! you have a good solid start here for sure. your interpretation feels a bit more stylized than i would think the concept is intended. sure the concept is stylized, but i believe it is intended to be interpreted more as realism.
    i would go back to the body and really focus on the anatomy. make this guy look as real as possible on the basic shapes and forms without going into hyper detail. it would be a good practice for anyone, so i say take this route, then go back to the other pieces that you already have modeled out, and form them around and resculpt areas that need it. i really think you will see a HUGE benefit from the final piece if you step back and really be self critical of the body without any clothing or props added.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the concept flipped? isnt the claw supposed to be on his left hand?

-Woog
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like it. the arms are a bit short, and I think you would probably need to redo the hair (try a cleaner style), but what you have is sweet.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    As far as the contrast between the concept and the model, the concept looks a bit skinnier and taller whereas the model is a bit more stout. Looking good so far though.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks to all for the comments. I now feel more positive about this than I did before!

Regards the proportions, I've bulked him out on the arms some, which has worked a treat. I'll update shortly with that. I think I can better adjust his height and general body size in the low poly without it affecting the texture over-much. I'll investigate both this and using some transposing to get his height up. Thanks to firebert for pointing out about realism versus stylism. I'd like to claim it was a stylistic choice- I guess my anatomy isn't that great yet (it's only my 3rd human model). I Zsphere'd the nase but used a ref- either my ref or my observation are't up there! I'll see what I can do but TBH I'm more likely to focus on the next peice as this guy is getting old real fast!

Well noted about the glove, Woog- I didn't spot that at all! I'll flip the low poly to compensate :)

And yes, the hair is crap!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! Just recovered a maya crash- 1 hour of UV unwrapping NOT lost after all!

~P~
  • cow1787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cow1787 polycounter lvl 12
    I think his chin needs to be squared off a little more. And maybe the brow a little less "surprised"?
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cow- I'll take alook at the chin. The expression is as it is to be neutral for mapping etc. I'll turn out some blendshape heads- this is real fast to do by fiddling the low poly head in ZB and chucking them into maya as blendshape nodes. That will address his stunned look :)

~P~
  • cow1787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cow1787 polycounter lvl 12
    <--environment guy. It's like a teenager telling an experience Formula 1 driver how to drive. haha

Cool though, looks good. Jealous
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <-- primary school teacher. It's like a formula 1 engineer telling a bloke wot only plays Forza in his bedroom how to drive :) All advice appreciated!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update this pm- UVs finished!