Home Technical Talk

Maya Rigging Help - Constraints

mod
Ok, Im having an issue getting my constraints to work the way i want them to. here's the deal....

I have a character with two hands. i have a mace. what im trying to do is make it so i can switch between the hands that are holding it. I can get the constraint to work with 1 hand. but as soon as i try to make it switch to the other hand, everything goes wrong.

right now, i have 1 locator on the mace, and 1 locator on each hand. Ive tried putting two locators on the mace, 1 going to each hand. but i cant seem to switch between the two. Whenever i turn off one, the mace snaps back to a random location, and wont snap to the other hand if i turn that one on.....

any help?

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    What do you want to achieve with this setup? Like tossing the mace in the air and catching with other hand? It it a 1 or 2 handed mace? Tell us more.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    It sounds like you need to use a parent constraint on both hands, then keyframe their influence on and off when you want them to switch. It should be located in your channels panel.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    j4polaris is right - you can have a single object constrained to multiple targets and then link the 'weight' values up to a master controller. i really recommend you use point and orient constraints instead of parent constraints (they have emotional issues, its messy).