Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horned Reaper

Hello,

My newest work (4 days) - I am looking to improve so please ruin it as much as possible.

It is a new take on an old game 'dungeon keeper' one of the boss monsters was a 'horned reaper', which is amazing cool. I'd like to change the concept a little and include some hard-surface armour sculpting.

I was thinking about a sycthe as a weapon.

I have not detailed yet.. blocking in armour and accessories before detailing his skin and refining muscle flow - but always crits are welcome on anything.

b18.jpg

dungeonkeeper_2.jpg

Most Recent update:
97915126.png

90115843.png

Replies

• woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting concept and good start so far, i dont think i would go with the particular horn style you have blocked out here though. also id add a bit of fleshyness between the muscles, when they are super bulgy with no soft tissue between they automatically tend to look "fake". also id work on the muscular anatomy a bit, the back of the calves look off and the abdomen and forearm are a bit off as well. not a bad start at all though i like the feet.

-Woog
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Oh, i love dungeon keeper! The Horned Reaper wasnt something like a boss monster though, it was just the most badass monster you could attract to your dungeon. :)

Im honestly not a fan of your design of the face, it looks more like something that would fit on a small mean troll to me. The chin/neck area is also very hard to read and looks weird. I would also think about how he could be able to open that mouth.

Other design looks good but you need to work more on the anatomy. the abs look just wrong and the lower arm need better definition of muscles and bones. Most muscles look also more carved in, at the current state, instead of really flowing with the body.
    Its really a hard subject haveing to make such a build up exagerated muscles anatomy. I suggest getting a lot of bodybuilder reference pictures for it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are those real dark mistresses? Oh my.

My personal feeling is that you've drifted a little too far from the original design. Horny is a pretty iconic character and changing his face so much along with switching his hooves for feet has removed most of what made him recognisable. It's up to you. There's no harm in having a big cool demon of your own design in your portfolio, but my thinking is if you're going to say it's based off the Horned Reaper then it'd be good if it looked at least a bit like him.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your model much better then the concepts! Good work!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think if u are really going for a version of the horned reaper its essential to incorporate the most important elements of the original one. You 've picked a very unique charakter as a reference therefor you should try to capture all the elements which made the original charakter what it is.
    As I see it you reduced the most unique elements and got a charakter which is much mor generic than it should be.
    So think you should keep close to the orignal anatomy of the charakter. Get the horns and the hooves and the unique shape of the body and face into your model.
    Also notice, that The main weight of the reapers body is at its torso and shoulders, while your model has a more of less equally distributed mass (front view) and is lacking mass at the shoulders / head (in the side view)

So first do the Reapers body unitl you are totally happy with it and you've captured its essence. Then give your version a unique touch by dooing armor and equip.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with the above. But I'm partial to the original design as I loved the game when it came out, both 1 and 2.

Nothing more fun than slapping the shit out of your imps. Always been a big fan of Peter Molyneux games.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a little on blocking more armour, adjusted head - no anatomy refinement yet.

Just a simple front autho for today.

I made his waist slightly smaller, I think this version is more delightfully evil..which is 'good' (Pun intended)

wip2.png
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I like it better bringing in the waist and changing the horns helped, but you still need to work on the anatomy. The main thing that sticks out ofr me is the abs. The way they're flowing into the pecs like that isn't right, even on extreme bodybuilders.

All you need to do is type in bodybuilder abs in google to see what I'm talking about... but here is a reference anyways

04.jpg

Notice where the abs flow to... they are wider too covering more of his torso.

I mean he is a demon so you can take some artistic liberty, and the average person might not notice, but if you're using this as a nice portfolio piece I'd base it a bit more on reality since he looks pretty proportionate otherwise.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reference, I'd definitely like it as realistic as possible anatomy wise, due to his body showing a-lot I think it would be a good opportunity to show my knowledge of anatomy.

My next update will include adjustments to anatomy.

:thumbup:
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felt the previous render did not show the model properly, for better crits I have more views with better rendering.

Thank-you!

wip3.png
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am limited by how powerful my PC is.. :'(

I so wanna be able to sculpt real detail.. everytime I hit 5 mill polys my PC goes into mad-mode.

Next to sculpt : Armour + Damage, HS sytche ( CANT SPELL IT ), and refine anatomy (hopefully some skin definition (thick leather, hide, etc)

wip5copy.jpg

wip4copy.jpg

I'm going to try and get from the generic ripped body to something a little more professional... stay tuned..
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    all the muscles are over defined, makes it look like a medical diagram. I'd also switch to a different mat too, the big hard edged shadows don't help much
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I took the model back to basics to get good anatomy first, also I took the time to learn zbrush (previously a mudbox user), must say that it is a fine peice of a software and I'm upset to of previously used mudbox :p

Here is a current shot, not finished by any means - I think it would be interesting if I had some of his bones showing, while this isn't nessacery correct according to the old concept, in the current generation texturing allows for such small details.

97915126.png

90115843.png
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It kind of looks like the teeth have been fit into the head instead of the teeth fitting the head. It hasnt really got a forehead.

The forearms look a bit wierd, like its twisted or connected wrong, may just be the viewing angle.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    sorry for being honest, but I don't like the new head. look like some goblin on steroids.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it some nice work in this thread.

The head, needs more work. There doesn't seem to be much room for a skull or supporting structure for the teeth. The upper lip especially, it looks like it came from a frog and would have a lot of trouble supporting the teeth let alone being ferocious in any way.

Part of what makes the demon in your ref so badass, is his huge square jaw and over developed trapezius that flows up behind his ears. Your demon has a slightly awkward trapezius transition making his neck appear a little weaker and skinnier than it should be for someone of that bulk.

250px-trapezius_gray409.png%3Fw%3D250%26h%3D394&usg=AFQjCNHcb_MNi-XB0GTp9strsgaNIm1UFg
    See how it flows up into the base of the skull. its kind of hard to develop a bump like what you have on your model, not impossible but pretty unusual.

Proper anatomy!

Keep it up you're making good progress.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for great crits, will definitely change the head and fix the anatomy!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calabi is right about the forearm, the muscles are modeled as if the thumb not the palm were facing forward. when the palm is forward the mucles should run down the arm in your front view not across it.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Middle tooth thing is weird. Nothing, no where has a middle tooth.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update,

blocked in head and feet.

Not worthy of a full turn around.

Learning zbrush, subtools etc. Have learned alot past few days.

Thank-you and crits always welcome.

1jpgdb.jpg
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    dur23 wrote: »
    Middle tooth thing is weird. Nothing, no where has a middle tooth.

http://babyhatchetblog.wordpress.com/2006/09/20/whats-wrong-with-tom-cruises-smile/
  • psychoticprankster
    He is one populer guy (with the ladies) I like this , keep up the good work!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I had a look around, I remember playing the game years back, I think you could make him a little more like the creature from the game with a few adjustments, it's easy to do realistic/wildly different versions of a character like Mario or Mickey Mouse because (a) they're so well known iconic characters and (b) they have a lot of recognisable accessories - IE hat/gloves/yellow pants etc.

Because you've departed so much facially , you may as well have not mentioned he's the horned reaper, as right now, aside from the horns maybe, there's little to compare.

There was a guy who made a high-poly render in SoftImage which got quite close, and was still recognisable, even without the giant toothy grin.

Here's a rough paintover, if you pulled out, stretched the chin, gave him a stronger jawline, a brow ridge, pronounced cheek bones and adjusted the horns so they appeared to grow straight out of the skull ( rather than what appears to be curling around first, then going straight ) then you'll be onto a winner. :)

Note how the softimage version and the cartoon version still captured the essense of the character without departing from it so much you couldn't recognise it.

dungeon.jpg
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for taking the time, I'm working on the face more now.

My zbrush crashes everytime i try and save the tool, fing annoying.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea looking a lot better now, nice tweaks.

The hands have great style and character, I really like em.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    A quick update,

blocked in head and feet.

Not worthy of a full turn around.

Learning zbrush, subtools etc. Have learned alot past few days.

Thank-you and crits always welcome.

1jpgdb.jpg

Wow! Didn't see the update, has improved a lot, really like the shape of the head now, fits better with the rest of the character.

Not sure how hard it is for you to adjust the horns, their line is a little off, seemingly originating from the centre of the skull rather than the top - only a minor thing, the whole head has come on leaps and bounds.

Looking forward to the cloven hooves. :D
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Horns and face have been adjusted and I'm just working in the details, also added the feet armour.

I'll post an update later today as i am having troble making progress since zbrush always crashes when i try save my progress.

anyway have same trouble?
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found soem good ref,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDNFqNxHBY[/ame]

realized I was missed alot of stuff to blockin,

will do that now and give screenies.