Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Evil Abu

magyareagle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
magyareagle polycounter lvl 18
Made for a game art contest on deviantart, which can be found at
http://game-art.deviantart.com/gallery/23880760
The entire scene comes to 9910 tri's, with the model itself, excluding the AK on his back, coming in at 5910 polygons.
The Ak's could use a lot of optimization, but given the limited amount of time I had, I decided to keep them the way they were, since they didn't put me over the limit.
1 2048^ texture map for the character, with specular, dirt, color, alpha, luminescence and bump channels.
The Ak47's and the detonator as well as the base used a 1024^ texture map.

I know it looks like he is about to fall over, but in game he would be running around on all fours.

GA_COMP2_MagyarEagle_by_MagyarEagle.jpg

Replies

• praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a very high poly count for what you've got as a final look...also in these shots the various map channels don't seem to be achieving much. I like the model, it's just got a wierd thing going one where it's very hi spec for what looks like an iPhone model!

~P~
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Your taste in character design aside, I agree with Prox on all of his points.

Abu.jpg

I tried to hunt down an image of Abu, and he's mostly built of out curves. There's rarely a straight edge on him. I would try to mimic that style in the silhouette of your rendition.

Also, I don't know what the poly limit of the contest was, but you have a lot of extraneous polys that don't give you the maximum bang for your buck. From what I can tell from your wires, you spent a lot of polys modeling out teeth, his nose, and a lot of his accessories. Truthfully, a lot of that detail can be done in your texture map, without having to model each detail individually.

Hope it helps!