Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marmor set Vs Cgfx shader

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
vofff polycounter lvl 10
Hey I started the thread because I want to know which one is the best way to set a good lighting and put out as much detail as possible in a 1024 map. Here is my teachers cgfx shader I borrowed his to push out more sexy beauty render but one thing is irritating is that I couldnt control the spec in cgfx. I have to go into the old school way, if someone know another way would be appreciate it.¨
best.jpg

Replies

• HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Mind posting the textures? As for now it looks like you put TOO much detail into the textures and in addition that detail looks quite illogical i.e. vertical scratches on the scope.

In general, your texture looks like it has way too much noise. (you got smoothgroup artifacts at the scope and the supressor as well it seems)

Instead of marmoset (marmoset, like that monkey not marmor) or the shader your teacher provided you might check out kodde's shader.
    Although, as long as the basematerial isn't that good you wont get any better results out of any of them
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i think before think too much about shaders, you need to improve that texture. Also keep in mind that a shader isn't an afterthought. All shaders can be a little different, and you should create your texture content specifically for your given shader. This means previewing your work in the shader while you're creating it, or altering your texture after the fact to look best in the shader. Simply slapping a shader on your work isn't going to make it look good. You need to look objectively at it with the shader and see what you can improve.

Marmoset tends to be a bit over-exposed by default, so its good to adjust the brightness of your textures accordingly. It looks like your spec settings could be tweaked a bit, as right now everything seems to have even, ambient specular, as aposed to specific points reacting to the light. You may have something messed up with your mesh's normals in the export as well, as some areas appear to be lit incorrectly(the scope?) make sure you dont have object space normals enabled as well if you have a tangent normal map.

As hal says, its a bit noisey overall, i think you should really tone down the scratches. It also seems to be pretty blurry overall, what sort of resolution is it? You've got what seems to be lots of smoothing errors, did you render your normals from a high res mesh, or simply create a bump map? I think it would benifit you very greatly to create a nice high res mesh if you havent done so already.

In addition to the texture flats, it would be good to see some shots of the model with just flat gray in the diffuse and specular channels, so we can look at how the geometry looks. With out good geometry and normals, no amount of detail and tweaking your textures is going to give good results.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Engine doesn't really matter. Just make your model look good.

Regardless, your specular map is not doing its job. Metal objects have scratches and chinks and highlights, yes, but they're also universally reflective. You want a sheen. Take notice:

http://www.3pointstudios.com/portfolio_weapons.shtml
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I have a feeling that kodde is your teacher, right? And you can change the specular with both a texture and a slider, plus a gloss slot - for gloss that is (:. As the others said, your textures look a bit overblown here and there.. Have t say the gun itself looks bad ass though :D
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I hope you can see it, I dont know why it keeping resize in photobucket.

I used Xnormal to export out normal. The spec is the problem I cant find any tutorial of making realistic metall out of weapons.
    And the use of spec gloss I have used it but it doesnt look like it is working am I using it wrong?
    MP7_spec_gloss.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's important to use the gloss to define materials. This is a tutorial by Tiros, i think it's really illustrative. I'll be in school in a few minutes, if you want i can send you the spec and gloss on my gun.. (:

5796d1242737513-creating-basic-metal-base-texture-metal-base.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    HAL wrote: »
    Mind posting the textures? As for now it looks like you put TOO much detail into the textures and in addition that detail looks quite illogical i.e. vertical scratches on the scope.

In general, your texture looks like it has way too much noise. (you got smoothgroup artifacts at the scope and the supressor as well it seems)

Instead of marmoset (marmoset, like that monkey not marmor) or the shader your teacher provided you might check out kodde's shader.
    Although, as long as the basematerial isn't that good you wont get any better results out of any of them

Here is Color
    MP7_color.jpg

Here is Spec
    MP7_spec.jpg

Here is Normal
    MP7_normals.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    It's important to use the gloss to define materials. This is a tutorial by Tiros, i think it's really illustrative. I'll be in school in a few minutes, if you want i can send you the spec and gloss on my gun.. (:

5796d1242737513-creating-basic-metal-base-texture-metal-base.jpg

Sure it would be a good help for me:)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah, i think before think too much about shaders, you need to improve that texture. Also keep in mind that a shader isn't an afterthought. All shaders can be a little different, and you should create your texture content specifically for your given shader. This means previewing your work in the shader while you're creating it, or altering your texture after the fact to look best in the shader. Simply slapping a shader on your work isn't going to make it look good. You need to look objectively at it with the shader and see what you can improve.

Marmoset tends to be a bit over-exposed by default, so its good to adjust the brightness of your textures accordingly. It looks like your spec settings could be tweaked a bit, as right now everything seems to have even, ambient specular, as aposed to specific points reacting to the light. You may have something messed up with your mesh's normals in the export as well, as some areas appear to be lit incorrectly(the scope?) make sure you dont have object space normals enabled as well if you have a tangent normal map.

As hal says, its a bit noisey overall, i think you should really tone down the scratches. It also seems to be pretty blurry overall, what sort of resolution is it? You've got what seems to be lots of smoothing errors, did you render your normals from a high res mesh, or simply create a bump map? I think it would benifit you very greatly to create a nice high res mesh if you havent done so already.

In addition to the texture flats, it would be good to see some shots of the model with just flat gray in the diffuse and specular channels, so we can look at how the geometry looks. With out good geometry and normals, no amount of detail and tweaking your textures is going to give good results.

Hello thx for the tip and help from you. Yea I can post a closer look on only one texture at a time.
    color.jpg
    spec.jpg
    normal.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I have tweaked the base and spec so what do u think now?
    tweaked1.jpg
    tweaked2.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ok first off,, that normal map is pretty bad mate, is it generated from a hand painted map or something? is that sposed to be holes on the flash supressor? cause it just looks like lil bumps, same on the scope. the foregrip and handle and clip maps are pretty bad also, the normals on the main body of the gun are much better.

you went way overboard with the scratches on this thing, they do not make any sense, just everywhere, is the handle the same metal as the body of the gun? do you have any reference pics for this gun?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the last one is a real improvement, but the scratches is still a bit overblown and a bit to much of them (:. Some of those normals are a bit crazy to. Maybe try to bake one out in maya with a decent envelope?

So, this is my textures and settings from the shader. Notice that with the textures i also tweaked the sliders. I am a real newbie on this area my self but i'm fairly happy with the results..

2evdqty.jpg
    2vdr053.jpg
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Way too much noise/scratches in your diffuse, put most of them in the spec only. You should multiply your AO over your spec aswell. Like has been said already you have to fix some of those normal map errors, they make everything look really messy.