Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio/Resume] – Paul ODonovan, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Paulod polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

This is my portfolio thread and if possible i would like to tap into the wealth of information you guys have stored in your gray matter. Im going to use the thread to document the changes and additions i make to my CV/ portfolio so maybe other people like me can get some useful tips when writing their CV and compiling their portfolio.

I have been trying to put together a CV directed at junior environment art and testing jobs and think i have come to a place where it is almost ready to send off. Because i don't know anyone in the games industry i would appreciate it if you could check it out and see if it touches all the bases with regards to what a recruiter would look for and answer some basic questions like:

1. Is it too long.
2. Do i need an employment History (i have included one because although not games jobs i think there is some relevant experience there).
3. Is the format pleasing to look at and informative.
4. Is there anything i have missed with regards to content?

CV:
http://rapidshare.com/files/351906682/Paul_ODonovan_CV_Games.doc

Portfolio:
paulod.carbonmade.com
This will be updated in a few days with new work and screen-shots.

Replies

• acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    he has a site: http://paulod.carbonmade.com

Not bad, I would remove the non game related stuff though out of the resume, and add that to a cover letter. Try to get your resume down to one page. Two is ok, but I think you can get all the relevant stuff into one there. I'd echo getting your own space, i had to try several times to download the .doc and wasn't too friendly because rapidshare was busy.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Get the resume up on your site as a direct link to download, and also as a separate page so that people can skim it without having to download it. I can't be bothered to download a rapidshare link, and few others will either.

Other than that, you website design is solid and clean, and your work is decent as well. While decent, you're work isn't great, and it needs to be great. There should to be at least one piece on your portfolio that makes the viewer think "wow, that looks cool".

All it takes now is practice, working on new stuff, and posting it on places like polycount to get feedback to improve.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I say if you are going to keep the sketches up... either put more refined ones up or tweak the contrast on them, otherwise take them down.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig your work, especially the prison, which seems to be the most fleshed out. I'd focus on removing the weaker or unfinished projects and put some time into making your stronger pieces sing.

Across all of your pieces, I think you need to add interest via things like contrast, more set pieces and dirt/grunge in some places. Some of the projects are 90 percent there, just take that levels slider and puuuusssssshhhh!
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Chaps.

Its been a long time but i finally managed to get my own site sorted.

www.paulod.com

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some feedback on all aspects especially the CV/Resume.

Thanks for reading and the crits from before.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    You should get rid of the most text or sort them out a bit. I would'nt read all that, first thing is to look your pictures and if it is a "wow" then I would read the text later.
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Dose the text detract from the site?

I tried with and without and i felt the text added something. If people wanted to read it they could if not they just click through to the pics anyway.

Maybe the resume and education stuff is a bit much?
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    I would suggest as an alternative moving the text description of each project from the front page onto their individual page that opens up when I click an image. So on the front page you have a list of images with just their project name and you can click an image if you want to find out more.

You keep the text, and you have a clearer front page.
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, the blerb text has been moved to the images page, so you can click through and read after you have been on the front page. The text at the top of the page will have asmall width soon just getting it sorted now.

3 Questions for any patient readers:

Is the resume stuff too much?

Is it worth posting statistics for models e.g. Poly counts, texture sizes, ect?

Any other crits or comments?
  • industria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While the design of your site is nice and simple I'd say that you should have your content first and your resume second. If they like you're stuff they'll find the resume and whatnot, so it's important that they see your stuff~

Also, there's an issue on one of your images for the "Deep Freeze" project. Don't know if other people would notice it, but it stuck out for me like a sore thumb.

Your Spec/Normals are switched.

:b
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    hi again,

www.paulod.com

i have updated with some more work. Once again any crits or comments about the website, work or CV would be much appreciated.