Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Soldier

Based upon U.S special forces/soldiers however I may modify it for use in a HL2 mod set in russia.

soldier_wip1.png

General crits would be nice. Was wondering if anyone knew how I should do the boots? When I just sculpt them they look flimsy and weak and when I just do hardsurface they look robotic/futuristic.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    make the boots hardsurface and then sculpt them afterwards to make the creases etc its a good start but those hands look nasty, I understand you may not have gotten to the hands yet. proportions are slightly odd, the belt seems to be too low or his arms too short or both ?
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea okay, might just do the boots seperately, would be easier :). Erm the hands are supposed to be leather gloves, got a reference in a combat clothing magazine I have, might need some more work though.

proportions_soldier.png

Here's a front black/white view of the model, but I think you're right that the belt is too low down. Thanks :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    After looking at games like UT3 and Gears Of War, looking at this guy makes me want to set up a help line for him, try and get him some food... :p

Off to a good start, just fix up the scales a tad :p
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    There's a lot going on with this model, and I think you're off to a nice start but still require a bit more practice to get this model just right. If I were you I'd put it on a hold a bit and do some practice sculpts. Get some anatomy books and make sure you can rough out the body structure just right. Two focus areas I would say is just the hands and face. Then also go check out some of the cloth tutorials. It looks like you have hard modeling pretty much down, just a few pieces that are a bit rough. The light on the head makes it look a bit bulky with the helmet looking a bit smaller. But that's just what I can say you need to work on. And in no way am I saying you're not capable of modeling, I think you clearly have the skills they just require a bit more refinement. Best of luck, and can't wait to see this in progress!
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @odium, haha that's true, but if he looks a bit underfed maybe that adds to the realism of being a soldier on the frontline etc, looking ragged ;)

@Gallows, thanks for the crits. Having not touched the model for a while and looking at the render now I can seem lumpiness in the cloth etc. But I'll do a lot more practice, thanks :)
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    being anal with anything military (since i worked with and for them)...

which u.s special forces is it supposed to be?

delta? green berets? seals? cct´s?? pj´s? cia sad?
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said based upon, there was nothing really particular, just picked out things I liked when I googled 'spec ops' and things of that nature :P
  • Ihazard
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    my two cents , not my best overpaint ever but i hope it helps :)
    97o41x.jpg