Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thompson Sub Machinegun

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
duoxan polycounter lvl 17
Its a Thompson 1928 m1a1 sub machine gun so let me know if anything stands out to be changed. I hope to get the low done today or tomorrow and then textured and finished by the end of the week.

myah.jpg

Replies

• duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i finished the low, all though things got in the way so it took me longer then i wanted :(

myah2.jpg

i baked the normal from it in max, and i get these weird ridges on the stock and barrel, you can see it in the texture below (ive been trying to blend them out)
    any idea on how to fix this/what im doing wrong? any help is appreciated!

nrm_org.jpg
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks pretty good, i'm no gun expert tho so i'm not sure about the design.
    Looks like the stock and handle could use a few more edge loops on the highpoly, kinda rough rite now.

As for the ridges, it could be an issue with your smoothing groups, i'm not sure what the max equivalent is to soften edge normals like in maya, but i'd say try putting the low's normals all in one group?

a max user might be able to shed some more light on that one
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figured it out, im a tard lol.
    NOW im getting flipped normals, here it is in marmoset, with a base texture and no spec yet. some but not all of the normals i overlapped are not inverted like you can see on the stock.

myah3.jpg

any ideas on how to fix this?
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan wrote: »
    figured it out, im a tard lol.
    NOW im getting flipped normals, here it is in marmoset, with a base texture and no spec yet. some but not all of the normals i overlapped are not inverted like you can see on the stock.
    any ideas on how to fix this?

What i do on models i want to mirror that have a surface that spans across the mirror, is to just mirror the sides, and leave the top whole; so that way the seam is not in the center where you see the obvious mirroring. if you are just hell bent on keeping the seam in the center; you can try to triangulate the faces around it, and that usually fixes it. It has been illustrated on the forums of how to approach this, as i recall it is in the Dont bake in max!! thread. Someone else could likely elaborate on it, I am at work :P
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Aside from the normal seams on the back of the stock in the 1st person view you posted, you've got a weird mix of M1A1 features and M1928 features. Go back and check your references and proportions, 'cause it's all tangled up right now.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @godemper0r
    thanks ill try that next time, a friend suggested i try something out, ill post results sometime later this week (i hope)

@garagebay9
    yea, that was my bad. its pretty much just the bolt assembly, sights, and selectors if you want to get picky. ill keep that in mind for the next project to make sure i stick closer to the concept/ref. this project was more just to get better at baking.