Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My RPG Continued...

Hehro again. Still trying to figure out a style for my rpg, and a style that benefits my current skillset. Given that i lack the drive to become an artist able to make photorealistic art in any medium, i've decided to go with a cartoony, simplistic look. But more than just a way to half-ass things, i really really like the simpler style.

My main inspirations are TF2 and Wind Waker, and various other highly stylized games. What can i improve upon in the design area, and does anyone have any tips for making cel shaded environments (should i avoid outlines for non main characters?)

tald05.jpg

---

and the 4 character classes so far, these are the warlord, wizard, battlemage and ranger, bonus points if you can guess which are which...

2z8aioz.jpg

i think i stylized the 2 males pretty well, but i was having trouble making the 2 females stylized, because i would either go too far and they don't look in the least bit appealing, or too close to normal human proportions and don't mesh with the other male designs, any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest you to read up on some anatomy, right now, your characters' shoulder joint is placed in the ribcage.

And no, bad, essential anatomy is not excusable with "stylizing".
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    bbob wrote: »
    I would suggest you to read up on some anatomy, right now, your characters' shoulder joint is placed in the ribcage.

And no, bad, essential anatomy is not excusable with "stylizing".

Definately this..A simple solution if you do not wish to read the human anatomy. Go to Youtube and watch it.

Also, if it is related to the same project as you were doing before, please use the same thread. :) Thanks.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Given that i lack the drive to become an artist able to make photorealistic art in any medium, i've decided to go with a cartoony, simplistic look.

The idea that you think that working in a cartoony look is the lazy/easy option is kinda insulting don't you think? While different from creating photo realistic work it still requires alot of creativity, skill and patience.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to spend more time on your work. (i recognize this very well because i do the same thing)

It all looks rushed and like you spent 15-30 mins on it.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Given that i lack the drive to become an artist able to make photorealistic art in any medium, i've decided to go with a cartoony, simplistic look"

You lack the drive? oh ok.

Idono, if you lack the drive you might think of becoming a dentist or an accountant instead of an artist. It's easier work and you can make more money. Try telling a stripper that you're an artist, then next weekend tell another one that you're a dentist. You'll notice the difference.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ngs616 wrote: »
    You need to spend more time on your work. (i recognize this very well because i do the same thing)

It all looks rushed and like you spent 15-30 mins on it.
    Quality before speed. Speed comes when you consistently produce quality.
    If you make crap quickly, you'll only become faster at making crap.

You have some talent but you need to but more effort into those props.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hey, I like the bulky guy's face, especially with the paintover. If you lack the drive to become an artist why don't you recruit some? Your drawings are better than the typical designer/programmer stick figure art, so you can give a concept artist a good base to work off of that will stay true to your vision.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you are right i'm sure the tf2 team and all the other awesome cartoony games only have that style because they could not find any "real" artists with the skill to make them look realistic.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea that you think that working in a cartoony look is the lazy/easy option is kinda insulting don't you think? While different from creating photo realistic work it still requires alot of creativity, skill and patience.
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    you are right i'm sure the tf2 team and all the other awesome cartoony games only have that style because they could not find any "real" artists with the skill to make them look realistic.

jesus, excuse me, i wasnt trying to insult anyone, i just think that this style better suites my style of art.

But seriously, i think it's a bit simpler to make a cartoony character than a photorealistic character. Which one of these concepts would take longer and overall be harder to make?

6a00cd9705cc8e4cd500d41439b2193c7f-500pi

LOZ-TwilightPrincess-Link.jpg

that being said, i don't think game developers choose these styles because they are easier. I feel these cartoony styles can stand out from the games that take themselves too seriously, it really adds something neat to it, a certain timelessness.

30 years from now, a game trying to look like a cel shaded storybook, won't have really improved on windwaker. Its timeless because it doesn't try to mirror reality. Where as 30 years from now a game like crysis will be left in the dust because there is something even more realistic.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same skills are needed for a simplistic version, just boiled down to its essence. The essence is the hard part.

So please do not understate the efforts of those who make great visual styles like TF2. I can assure you that making something like that necessitates a much clearer vision and much sharper sense of art direction that creating realism does.

So do not dare using a "simple" style as an excuse to be lazy. Besides, if you dont really care about putting effort into the art, why are you posting here?

Last time I checked, this is a community for people who live and breathe for art.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    The fact till remains that you would need to know the same basics to make both of those pictures.

Imo the only differene between them is the style. Sure the bottom one might be harder to render but if it had a crappy design no rendering in the world could save it.

I would like to say more but everyone before me have already covered everything I could think of.

Keep at it and I'm looking forward to see your next update with all of the advice taken into practice.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Making more stylized, simpler art is simpler. The art assets in a simple style have simpler rendering, simpler anatomy, and simpler shapes.

All other things being equal, it is simpler to make an art asset in a simple style than it is in a complexly rendered photorealistic style.

Yes, you still need to be able to make badass art in order to make badass simple art, but achillesian is not saying he's going to make the next tf2 or windwaker or Mad World here, just that he'll find it easier to work on something simple.

Both me and a badass disney animator would find it easier to draw a stick figure in a dymanic pose than a fully realized, realistic painting -- the disney animator's will look way cooler than mine, but we'll both find it easier and simpler and less time consuming to do.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What he said was that he lacked the "drive".

But also, to understand this reaction in context, check out his response to feedback in other threads. That attitude is what tires me a bit.

If it was just a new guy who actually used the crits he got, I would personally be a lot nicer and a lot more tolerant. But this is not the case, sadly.
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you gained the answers you got because of how you stated you went about choosing the style, stating you lack the drive will uninterest some people as they do not see that your committed to what you are presenting.

everything is simpler depending on how you go about things, saying that, everything has a theory too, I think the style your going for is cool, but depending on how much you want your rpg to contain will still require your undivided attention if its to be rich with life.
    i don't think game developers choose these styles because they are easier. I feel these cartoony styles can stand out from the games that take themselves too seriously, it really adds something neat to it, a certain timelessness.

Remember story will usually drive a game to, how they present that story is a big factor the style adds to the story.

I say keep going, but listen to what they have to say.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »

But also, to understand this reaction in context, check out his response to feedback in other threads. That attitude is what tires me a bit.

If it was just a new guy who actually used the crits he got, I would personally be a lot nicer and a lot more tolerant. But this is not the case, sadly.

He's acted like a douchebag a lot, yeah, but he's fine so far in this thread. Don't start shit for no reason!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Ok, back on topic, maybe lift up your characters arms a little, people here have a point. The arms really are going into their ribcages. So far, your concepts seem decent, lacking a little detail however, it just seems a little bland to me (your environment that is). Apart from that, keep posting work!
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think he lacks the drive, as he still going and making all of this stuff for the same set idea of making his own rpg :) I think he just lacks the confidence to invest several hours into something then possibly feel unaccomplished at the end of it.

As long as he keeps on it, his drive is still there.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been blunt, but I have not been "starting shit".

But yeah, to get back to the topic. What you need to do is spend some time on your assets, also I would advice to listen to the dudes giving critique here, most of these dudes are the big dogs who knows their shit.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally Posted by bbob

SupRore wrote: »
    He's acted like a douchebag a lot, yeah, but he's fine so far in this thread. Don't start shit for no reason!

Sir SupRore;

Please review his post again before falsely accusing him of such things. According to his post and my observation of the previous thread of OP. Mr. Achillesian does not listen at all. He did what he wanted to do regardless of all our crits and suggestions. At certain point makecg and others have started making fun of his work, and he still didnt listen. So I'll side with bbob.

Hez not starting any sort of shit. kthxbie. :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus, excuse me, i wasnt trying to insult anyone, i just think that this style better suites my style of art.

But seriously, i think it's a bit simpler to make a cartoony character than a photorealistic character. Which one of these concepts would take longer and overall be harder to make?

6a00cd9705cc8e4cd500d41439b2193c7f-500pi

LOZ-TwilightPrincess-Link.jpg

that being said, i don't think game developers choose these styles because they are easier. I feel these cartoony styles can stand out from the games that take themselves too seriously, it really adds something neat to it, a certain timelessness.

30 years from now, a game trying to look like a cel shaded storybook, won't have really improved on windwaker. Its timeless because it doesn't try to mirror reality. Where as 30 years from now a game like crysis will be left in the dust because there is something even more realistic.

my point is, what you have in your original post is just as close to that first pic of link as it is to the second picture of link as far as "quality of art" is concerned. even if you want to do cartoony stuff, treat it as if you are still making the best art you can.

second point is, ppl who kick out awesome stylized work like that do not do it cause they dont have the drive to do photo real stuff, cause i'm sure they can do realistic stuff just as good.

what you are doing is using stylized as a crutch and an excuse to not really "try"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, you guys are assholes. this is the first work he's posted on the boards in his time here he seems to have put a little real effort and thought into, these concepts have a grain of potential to be developed, and you're all jumping down his throat over stupid wording about stylized art. we know he is a douchebag, that isn't a free credit to derail his thread for stupid shit.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if he shows that he is improving, discuss our suggestions and show that he is taking our crits and suggestions under his consideration, than why would we "jump down his throat?"

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69588
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Well if he shows that he is improving, discuss our suggestions and show that he is taking our crits and suggestions under his consideration, than why would we "jump down his throat?"

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69588

Different thread, different time, different place. How is he going to learn anything if the art elitist circlejerk shark pack follows him from thread to thread and picks fights?
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Different thread, different time, different place. How is he going to learn anything if the art elitist circlejerk shark pack follows him from thread to thread and picks fights?

You're really not helping the situation by being the OP's white knight. Neither am I, for making this post. Sigh. Best to stay out of these things.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Round 1

-= FIGHT =-
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art elitist circlejerk shark pack

God, i laughed so hard.

I'm pretty happy with each of these concepts besides the ranger girl, i'd really like some input on her on how i can achieve an interesting, stand out, stylish look, but also be somewhat appealing. I spent the most time on her. And TBH i spent about an hour and a half on each of these. I am trying. I am trying to make something stylish and interesting, but simple.

my wip on the warlord

nlx0y0.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good thing to do before you start on the armor, is to completely define the shape of the guy before you start on it. What I like to do, is to throw together some primitives, and vert pull here and there untill I have the outline I want. Then build the mesh over that.

But yeah, looks too early in the process to give any real critique.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nkifyo.jpg

hehro, update. Trying to take some advice, especially in the time department. Spent probably a good 3 hours on this. The only problem i'm concerned with is bad seams with the stone part. And i'm not sure how big of a deal that really is, can you tell this is a torch? Does it read well? Completely self lit, forgot to do an occlusion on the stone part, may do that, or paint in some shadows.

Inspiration:
    bettygirllink-215-0001_thumb_ign.jpg

I liked the wind waker torch alot, but making a permanent torch out of wood didn't make sense to me, so i made it stone, also, my idea behind the size of the stone area is it catches ash (the stone part is hollow, and you can drain the ash at the bottom) so the ash can be used as a fertilizer later.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    make sure the texture does not have seams along the corners. With simplistic style such seams are especially hurting.

Also regarding stone texture, i would recommend to make "stones" more tight with each other. Now they look like floating bubbles. Also i'd make less saturated color, otherwise they might start looking like wood.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have the sides of the torch unwraped to their own space, but the texture on each side is the same, if you take the uv space then make unique textures,, theres no reason for this to have those seams since you could easily paint them out in minutes.
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same with all the legs and the cauldron up the top
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, you have a lot of seams to weld.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, it shows that you have spent more time on this asset, which is great. Now, stop worrying entirely about what time it takes, because as Vig said, you will get faster over time. So just focus on creating quality.

Now, aside from what has been said, you could probably have all four legs share the same UV space.

Also, from a pure conceptual point of view, it seems weird to give a stone structure wooden legs, instead of just continuing it down, and doing a stone base. It also seems very impractical to have a wooden ring to hold the cauldron, as the fire would make that very short lived.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice guys, the way i made the texture is kind of weird, so its going to be a hard fix for me. I didnt paint the rock texture, i sculpted it in zbrush, used the sketchy matcap, and screenshotted it, and projected it on in 3d coat. Kind of a weird workflow, but better than the results from me trying to paint it. I would agree with using stone legs instead, but i feel the wood changes it up a bit and makes it more interesting to look it, i will probably change the ring around the fire basket so it doesnt look wooden however.

wip on armor texture, reference is my concept art in OP

2j0fhu1.jpg

i may get rid of the little decals, depending on how it looks in unity with toon shading, i'm going for simple yet interesting like these
    windwaker-characters1024.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    I didnt paint the rock texture, i sculpted it in zbrush, used the sketchy matcap, and screenshotted it, and projected it on in 3d coat. Kind of a weird workflow, but better than the results from me trying to paint it.

Well, that "stone" texture looks like bunch of elipse shapes in PhotoShop with "bevel/emboss" and "outer shadow" layer effect. Therefore normally it is very quickly done without baking anything.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afk935.jpg

still wip, going to keep repainting it until i like the result more. Still trying to keep it simple and stylish.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you should definitely rethink your workflow, sculpting such easy to do shapes in PS seems a bit over the top o.o