Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: katerina yonce

Hey guys, my name is Kat. I'm currently a student in the Dallas area and i just started doing 3d modeling. This barrel is my 1st prop and i'm looking forward to doing more 3d! First time doing a low poly, high poly, textures and even posting screenshots. I would like to thank Raul and Phillip for helping out! You guys rule! smile.gif

hp_lp.jpg

Maps-for-polycount.jpg

barrel_beauty_shot.jpg

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Your images are broken?
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    First of all welcome. Not a bad start. Turned out pretty sweet. A few things to consider:

1. 2048 is way too large of a texture size for a prop like this. A prop this size should have a texture size of 256 or 512. If you plan on it being seen close up maximum size of 1024 but even then that's a little much for a barrel.

2: You could probably knock down your tri count in half on a prop of this size. I understand that the nozzle is eating up a majority of the tris on this. The little round plug thing in the middle could probably be just in the normal map or maybe just a little less divisions.

Other than those things its a nice start. Keep up the good work.
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    Great model and texture. I am really liking this piece. The only critique I would give is that the metal bands don't look like they are popping out. This is most likely due to your high poly model and they way you baked. an easy fix to this would be to use the NVIDIA photoshop plugin. Basically, create a height map in photo shop only representing where the metal strips are. make it so the strips are a lighter value and generate a normal map. then overlay this normal map with the one you already have and baddabing; you got yourself some metal strips that pop!

I hope that made sense, its late and I am so tired. peace out and great job so far.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work!

Like Paulewog said, the metal bands looks too flat. Maybe make the wood grain a little bit deeper also since its suppose to be an old barrel?
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Nice work Kat, that's an awesome job for your first prop! Have you looked at Leon's class? They did a barrel for their first project and they are all posted under the Adv. Material and Lighting thread in our school's forum, just have Phillip log you in :D
    I believe their tris count was 500, and I'm sure you can get yours down to that, also Brett's Adv. Character Modeling class did a barrel last quarter too, they had some nice results, either way, keep modeling, I can't wait to see what else you do ^_^

- Katia
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, she went from 0 to 110. Nice job sis! :)