Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beastman WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
waronmars polycounter lvl 17
Hi there,

I'm an animator, but I want to be able to model too :)

I love warhammer and they just released the new beastmen, so I made a model of one...

Any criticism appreciated.

It's pretty much finished modelling wise, but I still want to tweak some edge loops and shapes.

beastman.jpg

Also you can see my site at http://www.flamingpaper.com

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    you gunna go for a sculpt on this or lowpoly only?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    awesome stuff, i'm a big warhammer fan myself, and i've been painting/sculpting the minis since i was 9.

the one thing i'd say at the moment is that his silouhette is awfully small. beastmen with full horned heads are Gors, they're usually the head of the pack under doombulls, and their physical size and strength is massive. with that in mind i'd suggest bulking up his arms to match the broadness of his shoulders, and maybe try to add some emphesis to the chest, while scaling the head up just a tad.
    the hands could do with being double the thickness/size too.

only minor changes =]
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I would say exaggeration is definitely going to be key here. As almighty_gir pretty much said, he needs to look very powerful and bulky. I would also consider making his legs slightly longer, with an emphasis on bulking up his thighs. Make him look considerably intimidating by making him look taller.

Good luck.
  • waronmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waronmars polycounter lvl 17
    @harry
    I was originally going to do high poly as well, but I might just end up doing a nice texture and not worrying about the normal map. I haven't decided yet :)

@cholden
    I hadn't seen that, awesome link man. I just bought Warhammer online today to check out the models, but it hasn't finished updating yet -_- I can't wait, it looks soooo tasty!

@almighty_gir
    I agree that he should be bulked up. I was looking at the beastmen codex, but I was just picking out bits that I liked and not really concentrating on making a specific type. I think this might be where the confusion in the design comes from. I liked the double horned gor head, but I didn't want to have to mess with too much armor and draped chainmail, so I used the smaller guys' armor -_-

@baj singh
    Good points, I will definately beef him up a bit. Also - I noticed your sig, my boyfriend and I are coming to England in a month or so for his interview at Jagex! Small world! :D
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I think I may have heard about you two. Concept artists? Good luck with your interviews.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    waronmars wrote: »
    @harry
    I was originally going to do high poly as well, but I might just end up doing a nice texture and not worrying about the normal map. I haven't decided yet :)

If you decide to go sculpty-business i'd recommend keeping this as more or less your lowpoly and rebuilding a couple of parts to be more suitable for the subdividing bullshit. Mostly the equipment. I'd recommend doing a sculpt but mostly cause i tend to really like the look of quite lowpoly models with nice normalmaps.. I mean like, lower poly than most normalmapped characters you see. Like the total war units you know? They just look sweet like little miniatures or something. And i guess that style suits warhammer too, though idk shit about warhammer.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with what the others have posted. I'd probably just build him without most of the armour on (like in that link that was provided of the war online model, then when you have that all finished, build some armour for him to wear!

You could have a beast man fashion show <3

Good to see you modelling Jen!