Home Technical Talk

number of polys for model

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I was wondering if this can be considered an acceptable low poly model for the game crysis :

num of polys = 561
num of tris = 1064

37695626.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Probably, yes, but you'd want to spend a few more polys to round out those curvy shapes like the underside at the front, and the back piece.

Also that front bit sticking out looks a bit wide and an odd shape. Maybe bevel the edges to make it look more natural.

Also I'm not sure you need to model the struts inside the boat, that would save you a lot of polys, you should do that with a normal-map. It's not silhouette detail and it's not in a real focal point, and those things are pretty flat anyway. Normal-map it and do a nice AO bake from a highpoly and it will look just as good for much less polys.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    U mean that I shoulc chamfer the edges of the frontal big extruding thing ?

About the normal maps I should remove the inside parts? and how I make a projection normal about that? thats a picture of the actual boat ....

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7685/boatd.jpg

Here my l
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, those wooden beams/struts inside look like they should be a lot deeper. If you make them deeper it'll make it more worth spending the polygons on them, you'll get a nice parallax effect when moving around it. Right now they're very thin and flat, so better off in a normal-map.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What really counts is verts, forget about tris or quads. Verts are what the game processes, and what really matters.

Also remember that when you add smoothing groups, UV seams and materials they all tend to almost double your vert count. So be vary mindful about that stuff.

It's sometimes or maybe even more often cheaper to add some chamfers to your lowpoly around tight edges and use 1 smoothing group, then to add 2 smoothing groups.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I see I am still refining but here is how looks ingame .... I added a fast normal map with the nvidia filter and I like quite the side, now I have to stretch the texture on the frontal thing , and I added a sspecular map but I actually dunno what a specularm map is supposed to do couse I didn't see any change and basically I took the same diffuse texture desaturated and highly increased contrast ......

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5136/boatu.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I updated the texturesremaking them a bit , but Ididn't change the model ... here is how looks in game , what you think?

barche.jpg
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    judging from the scale between the person and the boat i would encourage you to add more detail to the model, especially to round out the silhouette. also i would recommend you re-evaluate your UV layout to eliminate the serious stretching on the front of the boat. you want the size and detail level of the boat texture to match the human characters. Test you UV layout with a checker pattern to make sure that all areas are free of stretching and hold similar texel density.
    currently the boat seems like it would fit in the scene at about 1/2 the size.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I Incremented the polygons on the sides to round up more the shape and I redid some uvmapping especially to the frontal wooden bar ...
    how looks now ?

What other details I coul dadd? so far the item is around 700 polys...

barche.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The inside bottom of an old fishing boat is a disgustingly dirty place, rotten dried fish guts, oil patches, bilge water, etc. Would be nice to see this in your boat. Also I'd put rust stains on the back inside panel, where the motor used to be latched on.

I'd say develop the story for this asset.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I agree, the story needs work. All parts look equally worn down as if the boat was brand new but made out of scrap. Places where people sit, where they put their feet, all the high traffic areas would have more wear.

Just some ideas.
    Oar mounts or cleats? Most boats will also have a false dry bottom or a mini catwalk that keep you out of the water and muck that ends up in every boat no matter how ship shape it is.