Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy VIII

Replies

• pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, just setting up a camera for the final render. Here's what i got sofar. Some input would be great. Thanks!

testai.jpg
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, props n lighting look pretty sweet. Just wondering if you're planning to follow the design exactly as like the ref?

wanted to point out the comparison based on the picture that Slave_zero posted
    Balamb_Garden_Area_5.jpg

that path with the benches and potted plants that lead up to the stairs to the elevator.

sketch2.jpg

Just my two cents =x Hope you get the idea.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ crasong - thanks for pointing that out! I've fixed it since your post and added some tile normal maps to the floor, which brings me to my next issue.

The floor decaling has me pretty stumped. I'm sure a good approach would be a layered texture - the tiles would repeat, and the floor decals would have their own UV layout within the 0-1 space. My problem is I don't know how to apply 2 UV sets (each with their own material) to a single piece of geo. Any advice?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job... I always wanted to do a FF8 environment but never got to it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qphGJmMTcKs[/ame]
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    pangarang wrote: »
    @ crasong - thanks for pointing that out! I've fixed it since your post and added some tile normal maps to the floor, which brings me to my next issue.

The floor decaling has me pretty stumped. I'm sure a good approach would be a layered texture - the tiles would repeat, and the floor decals would have their own UV layout within the 0-1 space. My problem is I don't know how to apply 2 UV sets (each with their own material) to a single piece of geo. Any advice?

Are you talking about using separate UV channels, or perhaps texturing using a multisub object? If so both are pretty easy. I am only familiar with Max though and how to do it there, so if you're using Maya you may have to ask someone else. :/
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone model quistis....

naked.

Before anyone else does this, I wanna order Rinoa ;D

And about Garden... Looking great! I can't wait to see it finished
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    YOU STILL WORKIN ON THIS?????

I'M WAITING............

*popcorn* <munch munch munch>

HURRY UP! @_@
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Proog, thanks for the video! I found it very helpful!

@ Megamoogle - I meant, I'm unsure about multiple UV channels. I know how to make 2 different UV sets and toggle between the two, but I can't figure out how to hook each one up to their own unique material.

@ NateTheArtist - Yeah ... haven't had much time to dedicate to 3D but thanks for sticking with me!

Just started texturing. Lemme know how you guys think this is turning out! Thanks!

testnw.jpg
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I imagine the way you probably want to utilize multiple UV channels is for baking in lighting maps and using tiling textures and the such. So I will cater this tutorial to that, and if not, hopefully what I show you will help you out anyway. First, you're going to select the object that you want unwrapped twice. In this case I'm using just a plane.

Unwrap it so that everything fits into the UV space, and be sure that the map channel is set to channel 1.
    tut1g.jpg
    To be safe, I'd recommend you save off the UV information so that you can easily access it again if you need to change anything. You do this by clicking on Save. After you save the UV information collapse the mesh.
    tut2l.jpg
    Apply another UVW Unwrap modifier and unwrap the model again however you need to. In this case, I'll unwrap it for tiling textures, which do not need to be confined in the texture space. BE SURE THE MAP CHANNEL IS SET TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN 1! Save off the UV information again to be safe, and collapse the mesh.
    tut3b.jpg
    I created an AO map for the purpose of this tutorial. Open up the Material editor, and click on the Diffuse box, and select RGB Multiply.
    tut4j.jpg
    In the top slot, put your first unwrapped map in and select the proper map channel. In my situation that is the first map channel.
    tut5s.jpg
    tut6hu.jpg
    In the second slot on the RGB multiply, you put your second texture. In this situation it's my tiling texture, I'll just use the standard checker texture from Max. Be sure to set your map channel to the corresponding number.
    tut8.jpg
    tut8.jpg
    Render it, and both textures should appear on the correct map channels.
    tut7.jpg

Hopefully this will help you out at least a bit. Sorry, it's a bit lengthy, but not too involved. :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Cool tutorial! I've always wondered how to get this done through max!
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realized a bit too late that the second to last photo didn't upload, though I'm not sure it's 100% needed. However, if you feel as if you're missing out on some extremely important information I can post it separately. :D
  • smurph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey ill try not to stray too far from this thread, but i too am a huge ff8 fan and whiled away many hours playing it. and seeing things like this always gives me a great feeling.

after reading comments form some people wishing to be able to virtually walk through the halls of balamb garden, secondlife (of all things) has a project underway and its coming along nicely, id say theyre about 50- 60% complete.

i play SL and i build things there and have small involvement in this project helping build where i can.. (made the garden vehicle, green and yellow transport thingy)
    anyways if your allready in SL search me up inworld (Ikiru Shinji)
    anyways sorry to butt in on your thread, keep up the good work :D
    i will continue to follow it.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ MegaMoogle - Thank you for that tutorial! I definitely appreciate you taking time out of your day to put together something so comprehensive. I'm using Maya so unfortunately I'm still kinda in the dark, lol. But I will be bookmarking this thread for sure to refer to that tutorial in future when I learn Max.

Anyway here's an update. Threw some lights in. Materials still need some work. Reflections are stronger in places than they have any reason to be. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

test2oz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    whoa this is actually starting to look pretty good. I'm impressed!
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a good idea FF8 was one of my favorite Final Fantasy Stories.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    D*** nice job!! These textures are looking good and your scene is really coming out nicely. The only thing I have a problem with so far is the leaves on those trees. the textures could use some work there so it isn't just flat green. Also the placement needs to be tweaked some so that it looks more realistic and not just flat. Some things look really low res as well, especially that bench texture.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Holy shit that looks amazing. Great job sir. I want moar screenies!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Nice job, is it in UDK? If not, gogo UDK!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Ok so I've been stopping in this thread every now and down and I must say that I was quite pleased when I saw the latest update with texturing and lighting. Looks like your heading in a good direction with this.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    When you enter the half circle there's a rectangular blockage ahead of you. This stops the composition. If you look at the "floor plan" posted above, there's a reason they placed a semi-circle shape on the floor (it emphasized the semi-circle of the wall). Your design does the opposite. It would be nice to see that road-map transformed onto a curved wall (and i would also suggest removing the "dont touch this" poles as they also stop the flow).
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks beautiful so far. :) Can't wait to see more.

Sorry, I should have asked what program you were running. But hopefully it can help someday in the future.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good!

I think the lighting could use some work. Right now its all really yellow. I think a blue color might help out a little bit. Especially since the whole floor is basically a pool of water with walkways on it..all that water would reflect the light and add a blue tint to it.