Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'Ichiraku Ramen' WIP

Replies

• hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im a sucker for this kind of stuff, in a sea of sci-fi hallways and bombed out dungeons, its nice to see something like a ramen shop. Your on the right track with the style, and it has got to be making all those props, i look forward to seeing this come together.

after looking further i see it has come together. My main crit at this point then is it needs better lighting. Right now its all lit, but its just not impactful and really does not help sell the scene. something that pulls you into the interior would be nice, or perhaps just changing your composition. Also i think it would be cool if it told a bit more of a story, that can be easily accomplished by placing the props in some interesting way. I mean even having a stack of empty bowls and some towels int he corner may make it seem more "alive".

after lookign again i do see some bowls in the back there, so i guess that is okay. I think mainly then this needs better composition and lighting, something about the current shots just make it feel like it is still WIP. As other have suggested having some very rough buildings in the back or next to it so it forms alleys would help a lot.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll be honest and say that I did hit a bit of a wall when I 'finished' the project. The original intention was to just model the Ramen Shop itself, the main attraction being all the individual props which would hopefully let me brush up on my texture skills since their geometry is simple and it's the textures that sell them rather than them being complex models.

Obviously I got to the end of putting it all together and realised it looks kinda odd having what looks to be an environment, just floating in a grey viewport. So the UDK floor material and the quick skydome were literally just something to get around that.

I guess from the outset of the project I saw it as more of a 'large prop with props inside', but it ended up looking like an environment scene and therefore looks like it's lacking a lot of stuff.

I think I will revisit this at a later date. And add some generic buildings next to it / behind it and make it into more of a scene.

It's been a lot of fun and certainly a change, but I've been working on just this in my spare time over like 6 or 8 weeks so I need something fresh to work on, at least for a while!

Thanks again