Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for Website critique

Officially I graduated a few months ago with a focus on high res character modeling. Since then I've been trying to build a portfolio that's more relevant to game art. Here's what I have right now:

www.psycosmworlds.com

Right now I have a "finished" section that isn't really tailored to game art, and works in progress section that isn't, well, finished. (Some pieces of it are close but I'm not sure how to go about showcasing them.)

Thoughts on the overal layout and on any individual pieces would be appreciated.

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    take 45 minutes and listen to this

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1019462&postcount=74

subscribe to the podcast. they are all very helpful, informative, and entertaining.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be your main page: http://www.psycosmworlds.com/gallery.html
    This needs to go: http://www.psycosmworlds.com/gallery3.html
    This needs to be finished: http://www.psycosmworlds.com/gallery1.html

You need breakdown shots along with beauty shots. People need to know how it was made, look at texture sheets and see how you unwrapped things.

I think you need to separate your portfolio from your Work In Progress bloggy type things. It seems like you want to start up a one man production house but also want a portfolio, that is a bit of a conflict of interests.
    "Is this guys work going to suffer because he has a bunch of side projects going?"
    "Is he going to do outside work on company time?"
    Get yourself a blog and stick all that stuff there, keep your portfolio simple and too the point.

I think it would help if you decided on a discipline: environment modeling, character modeling, or animation and build your portfolio around that.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Totally missed the stills gallery till I read Vig's post. If you want to work in games that should probably be where you direct people to. For film you might be better off with the reels out front... not really my area of expertise.

Again if you want to do games, show a definite specialty, show wires and polycounts, and show texture sheets. Texturing is HUGELY important. also don't make people download something to see your game project. Its fine to offer the option, but provide screenshots for those that don't want to install stuff, or possibly can't in the case of workplace machines. Some screens that show it off will will be worth more than anything you write about it.

You work shows some promise, but the presentation could use help. Its got a snarky title, but the info in this article is pretty useful.

http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd recommend removing the WIPs or putting them in a non-linked directory that you can pull up at the interview if the vibes feel good. I had a WIP gallery bite me in the ass recently.
  • Raymond Arnold
    Thanks all. I was attempting to structure the WIP section in a way that wouldn't end up looking unprofessional, but I guess I didn't succeed. (I wasn't quite done setting up the section for the Tree environment but it sounds like that wouldn't have made much difference.)

A few questions:

Are you referring specifically to the texturing? My original reel for college was theoretically high res models for film. Since then it's been my understanding that you're more likely to get a job for environmental art (I have no particular preference for one discipline over the other). I'd prefer to work in games as a long term goal but the market seems really competitive and I'm trying to find stuff to work on that can help my marketability to as wide a range of employers as possible.

One of my continuous problems has been trying to figure out the optimum use of my time. Is it better to finish an older piece that's less relevant for my target job or work on something new? If I'm working on something new, is any of my older stuff worth including at all?

Regardless, I'll work on a new site that focuses on the image gallery. In the meantime, is the screenshot on this page good enough to be worth including? I was planning on doing a more thorough breakdown of the Tree environment but wasn't sure whether I was done and how to go about it.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks all. I was attempting to structure the WIP section in a way that wouldn't end up looking unprofessional, but I guess I didn't succeed. (I wasn't quite done setting up the section for the Tree environment but it sounds like that wouldn't have made much difference.)

Showing WIP is always a risk. Beyond the obvious (showing incomplete work), it can also lead questions about why you didn't finish something. The strongest statement you can make is to show a set of pieces that you can confidently say are finished to a high level of polish.

Are you referring specifically to the texturing? My original reel for college was theoretically high res models for film. Since then it's been my understanding that you're more likely to get a job for environmental art (I have no particular preference for one discipline over the other). I'd prefer to work in games as a long term goal but the market seems really competitive and I'm trying to find stuff to work on that can help my marketability to as wide a range of employers as possible.

Focus is important. There are some jack of all trades types out there, but its so rare that its not advisable to go after it. I learned that lesson the hard way coming out of school myself. The competitiveness of the market makes specialization even more important since you're going to need to really kick ass at the specific job you're applying for.

One of my continuous problems has been trying to figure out the optimum use of my time. Is it better to finish an older piece that's less relevant for my target job or work on something new? If I'm working on something new, is any of my older stuff worth including at all?

Depends. In general its better to work on whatever is most relevant to the position you're applying for. Without knowing what you're focusing on its hard to say what of your older stuff to keep or polish.
  • Raymond Arnold
    Okay, here's a simpler version that I think addresses most criticism.

Officially I am now going for environment art, but given how few assets I have for it I'm leaving the character art up for the time being. I'll be replacing the seven slots in the gallery as I get new stuff (hopefully soon!) to fill them with. I'll also be reworking some of the images to include UVs and/or textures when I get more time.

One other thing I'm curious about: I was never really sure whether to include this on the site. No one commented on it good or bad, dunno if they were assuming it was a model at the time since it wasn't labeled (it's not, just a photoshopped image.)