Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Animated Short WIP] GreenThumb

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
audi100 polycounter lvl 11
greenthumb_logo_800x200.png
„An Animated Short movie in optically likeable Cartoon tradition with a flavour of british / black humour“

Hello,
I want to present to you the animated short we are currently working on. It`s about an old, grumpy rabbit with a very bad karma. Despite the fact that he lives in disharmony with nature and all its creatures, Ralf Rabbits single biggest wish is to grow something beautyful in his loveless garden.
The fact that nature is flourishing all around him, especially in the garden of his neighbour Babs Bunny, doesn`t quite help at all.

Some impressions:
ralf_babs_2.jpg

-
Ralf Rabbit:
ralf_stylized_shadow_2.jpg

-
Babs Bunny:
babs_alone_3.jpg

-
Panorama Day:
panorama_day_big.jpg

-
Panorama Night:
panorama_night_big.jpg

Team consists of:
2d/3d/Animation - Timm Wagener, Audrius Caplikas
Music & Sound - Andreas Kaufmann

Release Date (planned):

Comments and Criticism are very welcome!
I noticed some Animation related threads popping up lately with great feedback. I hope we can get some too as we still are beginners in that field.
Some Playblasts will follow asap.

Replies

• SomberResplendence
    Release Date (planned):

You have already planned the impossible 0_o

.... because I see month/day/year
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    No... Because that would imply its the Januaryist of the four, 2010 :p

Damn yanks and your backwards dating systems :p

In reply to OP, certainly looks interesting, and the visuals are lovely. But something about the sky seems off to me... Almost like its too empy? Maybe the sky is just taking up too much space on the render?
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Looks interesting. IMO the clouds in the nightime sky look a bit too bright and similar to the daytime ones. Clouds at night tend to take on colors more similar to the sky around them than during the day.

Are there any animation samples yet?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea, nice modeling!

I'm not sure I really dig the whole creepy guy in a rabbit suit, but strangely enough I'm cool with the chick, well all except for her name.

Her feet look odd squared off.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. The characters are shaped oddly, particularly the woman, why is everything smooth except for her hands and feet?

I like the environment, the clouds are neat. You should probably establish the gardens since they're a major plot device. The dead tree has a lot of character, but the other tree looks bland and rushed, maybe focus on equalizing them.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    the girl looks pretty mannisch, the shoulders are too wide, the chin is too square
    i do like the environment
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the replies :)

Somberresplendence: uhhm yeah thank God we don't live in the USA we'd have allready failed =P

Odium: Hmm maybe we can spice the sky up a bit later on in postprocessing have to see about this.

Goat Justice: Good Point thx! Changed that, And yes there are.

Vig: Thank you. Yup shes got the most generic name for a bunny but i think it fits her at least. About the feet read further.

Tim Deneau: We wanted too have some similarities with the design of the characters so hand and feet turned out that way (Also makes rigging/Animation easier because of the simple shapes). As it seems that decision was not the best for the bunny tho.I think it will stay this way as changing it now would mean too much work imo (we have a very strict timeline), not sure if its even possible without having to reskin everything.

About the tree, don't know, i like it that way. Makes a good contrast (Strong and healthy against deformed). Maybe i misunderstood equalizing tho and you meant putting more detail in model and texture?

Ravenslayer: Should have posted those models earlier i guess. Could be her stance in that picture as her pelvis is rotated quite a bit. I made them a bit narrower than her hips actually, maybe not enough.

Here is a first playblast, still working on the sneak.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mph2d_pAyE[/ame]

Some Stills to illustrate how those sences may look like in the end.
    Last Shot needs some better Lighting from the moon i reckon.
    playblast19-22.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    The characters and most of the other elements have a lot more attention paid to them, so things like the clouds and moon could use some love too, at the moment the clouds resemble whipped cream, a snail , toothpaste or some kind of disembodied long-billed bird head, and what looks like noise on the moon doesn't do justice to the rest of the scene.

In the last shot the moon is pretty prominent, so either a straight photosourced texture or a plain whitish-blue texture would be better than what's there now.

The character design is nice, especially the rabbit dudes nose.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the cartoonish style you're using, but I agree that the female looks a bit too masculine. It could have something to do with the ears being down but that probably wouldn't impact the effect the marvel chin has on her. I'm also not a fan of the clouds, I think they ruin the scene at the moment especially in the second photo on your stills. The silhouette just isn't all that interesting in my opinion.

Besides that I think it looks very interesting, good work.