Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #4 - j4polaris

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
Hello all,
Below is my progress with workshop #4. I began by putting the side view of the rifle on a plane in the bg utilizing the pixel dimensions of the image file (scaled and cropped in photoshop).

progress01p.jpg

I created a single plane and began cutting the edges to match some of the major contours and features of the gun.

progress02l.jpg

Next step for me, I'm hoping to extrude this mesh out and begin shaping the pieces in 3D.

Stay tuned!

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Jason, good start blocking the shape out, it's the same process I use. If you like, I posted in Workshop #4 general thread (post 3) a couple of high resolution side views of the chassis and full rifle, they should be better for reference. Keep up!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, thanks Sync!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hullo all!

It's been great seeing everyone's progress and techniques on this workshop. It's been super-helpful for my high-poly modeling for sure!

A quick update:

progress03.jpg

progress04.jpg

progress05.jpg

The width has been tough to nail down, but hopefully I'm close. :) Expanding upon what I created before, I'm continuing to tweak the low poly mesh and then enabling the turbosmooth part of the stack to double check the final model.

I'm finding that with turbosmooth keeping the low-poly as clean as possible helps to cut-down on weird mesh issues in the high poly mesh.

Like a lot of the rest of you, I'm really motivated to finish the rest of the rifle. Hoping for a really good portfolio piece out of this. :poly124:
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo! Wrapped-up this high poly. First, a progress shot detailing the bolt section and muzzle in progress:

progress06.jpg

It was particularly difficult to model some of the finer details, simply because the reference wasn't super-clear. I went on to finish the rest of the rifle, and am really pleased with the results. I'm hoping to put together a low-poly, transfer and apply final textures.

hipoly01.jpg

hipoly04.jpg

hipoly02.jpg

hipoly03.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaddup all. Thought I'd close out this thread with the final low-poly AWSM that I made that I baked the high-poly onto. I ended up baking diffuse, AO and Normals with a pretty good final result. Had to do some touch ups and deepen the normal map a bit in Photoshop, but overall it was relatively painless. Final screengrabs are from UE3.

If you guys have any questions as to how I went about it, please feel free to ask! :D

final01.jpg

final05.jpg

final04.jpg

final03.jpg

final02.jpg