Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'The Dentist'

Well here it is, the first chance I've had time for a complex personal project in over 3 years. 'The Dentist'.

I've always had a phobia of dentists and needles (especially when combined) so on the train back for a gig at cartoon network I draw a concept to try and conquer that phobia for once and for all. The motivation is that my kids are now at the age where they need a trip to a dentist, and the last thing they want is daddy passing out cold lol. So I decided to embody my phobia into a sculpt.

It's all sculpted by hand with no special stencils, stamps or tricks in Mudbox from low res base meshes using a default setup. Only the goggles and scuba tank setup are poly models. The final poly count is just a shade under 20 million split across 18 sub models. The detail on thsi is so heavy that even a 4k shot has trouble capturing it all....

It also will be out as my next DVD once I have a small nervous breakdown to get rid of all those hard surface shapes out of my head lol....then its down to a low poly version.

So yes you can do hard surface stuff in mudbox......

After modelling a hideously complex valve system for the tanks...3d max crashed...no recovery..nothing..hours lost. So Marvin Washington (@wdcstudios on twitter) bailed me out and made the one you see on the image above...thanks dude.

Wayne...