Home Technical Talk

How to make realistic flowing water in max

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
I've been looking around for tutorials as to how I would go about making a realistic flowing river in Max. Don't mention Realflow, not an option for me. There must be some way to get it animated looking right... right?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Examples would be good. Turbulent white capped waves? Churning rapids? Ripples on a pond? Water fall? Water from a sprinkler? Rain?

Can you use particles at all? Is it for a game or just rendering?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, good point there vig, forgot the essential part of my question. I plan on making a river going down the side of a mountain, and off a cliff (You won't be seeing the waterfall part of it though). I'll try to find a youtube link. So something close to rapids, but not churning rapids. I can use particles, yes. This would be for rendering.

Thanks!

*Edit*

Imagine the water being the little path in the middle here. Something like that.
    Random.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humm probably a mix of:
    - Animated UV's? You can put a sequence of images in the material slots in max too.
    - Two or more animated noise modifiers (one for big waves, another for tiny surface noise)
    - Animated transparent ripple textures around rocks, or you can push these out of particle emitters.
    - A few more particle emitters where you need spray or splashes.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing that those techniques, along with a nice mental ray shader (caustics, reflections, refraction, etc) should get the job done well then, huh?