Unwrapping a Sphere?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 14
Hey all!

So I'm working on a model of the solar system and obviously have a lot of spheres that I need to unwrap. I didn't think this would be an issue when I started but now I'm finding that unwrapping a sphere without major seams or distortion is a lot harder than one would think and there really aren't any useful tutorials on the subject that I've been able to find.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this properly in 3D Studio max? I would think pelt mapping a sphere would be an easy way to do it, but I can't seem to loose the distortion in the center area of the sphere.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I usually cut my sphere in half along the middle loop and then make a 'half loop' cut from pole to pole. You have to be real good at hiding your seams, but it creates less distortion. I do things the hard way though so I'm sure someone (Vig) will come along and make me look like an ass...
  • Mark Dygert
    Quadsphere maybe?

Start off with a box, unwrap it.
    Turbosmooth it once or twice until its a smooth sphere, might need to relax it.
    Assign all the faces to one smoothing group and you're good to go.
    Now you have a nice sphere made of all quads unwrapped in a predictable way.

There's a quad sphere primitive shape plug-in for max, probably something for Maya too, otherwise you could just as quickly make it.

Ha ha ha Darth you crack me up, thats a good method too, could probably easily apply it to a quadsphere too, instead of going with a box map?
  • Grobi
    I remember this image cropping up in a thread a while back;

293diyf.jpg

Basically, to make a quad sphere thats easier to unwrap than a regular sphere primitive you should start off with a cube, add a couple of segments to each axis and apply a spherify modifier, you'll be able to follow the example's here pretty easily after that.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah your method sounds easier. Never thought of starting with a cube. That's why I don't have a game job yet HA

Anyway, here's a screenie of how I do it. I'm pretty good at making seams disappear with Photoshop (I'd say I'm more skilled in PS than I am at unwrapping) so you have to play off your strengths. Try Vig's method first, it makes a lot more sense HA.

Untitled-2.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for responding so fast!

Vig, I tried your idea of using a box and then just Msmoothing it a few times to turn it into a sphere but the problem there is it ends up at about 768 polys by the time it looks nicely spherical.

I was talking to Kman and he pointed out that using a Geosphere with Octa for the Geodesic base type is a much better way to go about it and also makes the poly count much lower. He unwrapped a sphere for me and showed me how he laid it out which was quite good, however after playing around on my own for a bit, I realized that if I simply create a geosphere and load an unwrap onto it, Max unwraps the mesh perfectly without my help at all.
    mars_render.jpg

It does have a bit of a seam at the top, but with a little work in photoshop, I could make it completely invisible. The only problem now is if I want to add some snowy areas to the poles, I'd need to re-unwrap the top and bottom and it might make a more obvious seam.

Still, not bad for virtually no work. If anyone else has to do something similar, I definitely suggest using Octa Geospheres.
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 8
    For Snow Caps you can use simple Maps...one projecting planar from he top for the actuat texture, and one projecting cylindrical from the sides for a Mask...at least thats what I'd do...if you want, you can then bake it into on texture, using the original Unwrap...
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Piflik, I'll see about doing that!

BTW, what size of a monitor do you work with? I've got a 40" tv hooked up to my computer with a 1920x1080 resolution and your website requires me to scroll to the right just to see the entire thing. You might want to scale it down just a smidgen :P

Your models look pretty good otherwise :)
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 8
    Strange...it should always fill the complete width of the monitor...I used only relative width values...
  • Mark Dygert
    That kicks ass.

/saved
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig? The fact that geospheres are automatically unwrapped? Are you kidding me? Is this the first time in polycount history that someone else told Vig how to do something? lol

I thought you were the grand champion of max? Quick, brush it off like it was a freudian slip and you already knew how it worked!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 12
    hey Peter !!!! how are you doing these days man ??? been so long :p

(end of thread derailment :p)

I'd go the geosphere route too, that or the sphere, but with a spherify kind of modifier on top to make it round without using too many polies :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Heh I get schooled all the time, won't be the last time =P
    Always learn something new.

Now that you mention it, I remember it coming up in a previous "how do you unwrap a sphere" thread about a year ago. I think Mojokey brought up the geosphere? Because about that time I convinced our modelers to start using them for the eyes in our models (creepy wire views look like teeth). It saved enough polys we could do proper forehead wrinkles.

I personally don't use them that much in stuff I make, as I hardly ever need just a sphere and I need something with clean straight edges that I can use to build other things with. The quadsphere is pretty good at that. It also ports over to a sculpting app a lot better than a geosphere or a regular sphere with poles.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vahl! I'm great bud how are you doing? I've been keeping an eye on your portfolio and polycount postings, you've got some absolutely amazing stuff in there!

I'm actually starting up a new project now that I met a useful programmer! Its a very small turn based space game actually hence the need for figuring out how to unwrap spheres :P

Brutal as I'm sure you've figured out has been put on indefinite hold until it gets the proper funding it deserves!

Vig, I don't believe you get schooled all the time, but I'm sure it happens occasionally. And see, what'd I tell you? It was a freudian slip of sorts... you just forgot that you knew the answer already :)

Yeah they do look hella freaky in wire form, but hey, they work so what do I care? Lower poly too so that's always a bonus.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 8
    Grobi wrote: »
    I remember this image cropping up in a thread a while back;

293diyf.jpg

Basically, to make a quad sphere thats easier to unwrap than a regular sphere primitive you should start off with a cube, add a couple of segments to each axis and apply a spherify modifier, you'll be able to follow the example's here pretty easily after that.

The last picture. How do you get the sphere to unwrap like that? I normally use quad spheres but for doing a prop like a globe, I think unwrapping it this way would be more beneficial.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Select those edges on the model, then do a Pelt relax.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 8
    OMG Thank you! Your a life saver.