Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Nerf Gun - WIP

Hai.

I was working on another project of mine - Tavern, until just about half way through, I realised I had to learn much more before I could take on such a heavy project(it doesn't look that much just yet :P), so yeah, well I had some troubles with texturing workflow, as well as normal maps and what not.

Revising the basics and getting myself used to the whole process over again with this little steampunky piece. Though I posted a couple of previous wips in WAYWO thread, I wanted some more feedback on this..

Reference - http://i48.tinypic.com/300cefq.jpg

High polys
2mnofvc.png

otm06u.png

2csgftj.png

Is there any better way of making this ready for a bake?
14ierlg.png

This was something else I was working on, just for practice, concept is by Zack Fowler as far as I can remember..

zsjtc3.png

bfezrt.png

There are some artifacts I have to fix.

Cheers for any feedback!

Replies

• Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    griffinax wrote: »
    Is there any better way of making this ready for a bake?
    14ierlg.png

Not so much a tip for getting it ready for a bake, but moreso for getting the detail in showing up in a bake at all. Make sure the inset details are scaled down a tad, so there's an angle to be baked in for the normalmap. Otherwise the rays that are being cast from the low to the high are just going to see it all as flat = no normalmap details. That is, unless you're going to actually build all that detail in the low, my guess is not though?

Bring in some of those reinforcing edges to soften your edges, they're REALLY hard atm, it'll just look like a razor sharp 90 degree cut in the low poly, doubt the normalmap will pick up on it.

Just in general with the design too, try and keep a scale for details in mind. You have lots of large details with the smoothing, then it's immediately lots of small details, it'd go much nicer with a balance between. A few simple things to do might be to scale up some of the really tiny pieces, the cogs come to mind in particular. Maybe you have a bunch more to go, in which case ignore all this jibberish ;)