Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Level Concept Wip

sooo started to try and actually sculpt this monstrosity of a concept.
update 2011, trying a different approach.

darkwar000087.jpg

zbrushdoent.jpg

previous approach i might come back to, its just horribly slow.

levelconcept.jpg

i havent drawn in the longest time and udk lighting render times were just getting longer and longer and ive just been using the preset assets in udk. so i thought, meh why dont i just make eveyrthing from scratch ? so this is the first concept of a level im going to attempt to make in udk. lets see what happens!

First off i need to finish this concept, the rocks still look like a pile of crap and the base needs coloring and shading and such. its all good practice for when i have to do all the textures so i figure i might as well attempt to actually finish the concept up completely.

this is the side view of the entrance of the base that will be poking out from a hill, i already have the blockout of the base with the premade assets in udk. so basically i just have to make it my own with custom assets.

levelconceptwip.jpg

Replies

• Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    It is really hard from your concept to tell what this is even suppose to be. It looks like a dog laying down. If that is what you were going for then...nice job
  • throttlekitty
    It's very busy for an entrance, is this *very* large?
  • makecg
    good luck! concept looks interesting. looks like a bunch of high-tec buildings on top of rocks. the perspective looks weird but I shall wait for 3d =D
  • doeseph
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    So what the heck is it? I'm having a hard time gauging the scale, and an especially hard time figuring out where the entrance actually is. It looks very cool though, if a bit confusing at the moment.
  • planaria
    this is the side view of the entrance of the base that will be poking out from a hill mentioned it earlier but im not surprised people are confused.

the scale will be not so big, it will be maybe 40-50 feet maximum. its more important that it all looks grown/hobbled together.

tried to give a second pass to the rocks, still not liking how they turned out really.. not sure what i should do with them besides starting over. bah !!!

this is as much a wip level as it is a painting excersize so im really trying to push the painting skills, so far its a bit of fail.

also i take the fact that people see random things i never intended (lying down dog?wtf?) as a compliment thank you.

levelconceptwip.jpg
  • Rojo
    I'm still confused...
  • Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I think I hurt myself trying to figure out what I'm looking at. Something something rocks.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I think what everyone is talking about is the fact that the "mechanical" part of your drawing looks quite confusing. You say its only 50 ft tall when, to me, it looks massive. Try to differentiate whats in the foreground and background so that we can get a better idea of what we are looking at. If you are still a little confused then maybe try drawing a front view as well, it can never hurt to have two reference views when it comes to modeling.
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, I am with the rest of the posters. This looks quite confusing. The rocks are starting to take form quite well but I have no idea what is going on with the technical side of things. Maybe you can sketch a person in there so we get an idea of scale.
  • Asteric
    It actually looks a bit like a cross between a snowmobile and an ATV.
  • NoChance
    The problem is that with only black and white to layout something so complex you don't see any depth. So, while you know where different levels and such are, we don't understand and theres nothing to guide us.

I would say try flipping it upside down and seeing if you could still easily discern the depth. I'm guessing it won't be as easy since it's changed then adding some grey tones and lighting to help show depth to the different areas. Honestly just a simple dark grey for background and light grey for foreground would be helpful in understanding the concept better.
  • planaria
    so i wasnt happy with those rocks, figured i needed to practice some rock painting.

there definately not the best rocks ever but they will do for the concept, now i just have to copy / paste/transform them into the side of a rocky mountain.

as for all the confusion with the actual structure, well for me it helps to have something amorphous that i can look at in several different ways, it helps my brain to keep going. so to answer a few people there is more then one final depth to this i personally see a bunch of different depths, and ways it could finally materialize all at once.. so i let my eye go through all the possibilities until it finally settles on one.

the next step i think will be to seperate out pieces in the structure and start to shade them.

rockstudy.jpg
  • planaria
    and so it begins, after an extremely long hiatus i am beginning to see if i can sculpt this puppy

levelconcept.jpg
  • makecg
    Welcome back along time I remember this tho
  • GoodDreams
    Still dosen't make any sense.
  • Visceral
  • salacious_Crumb
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    is it an aerial view?
    still confusing, but interesting too
  • planaria
    its a side view of an entrance into a structure built into a rocky hill, the fun of it for me atleast is making sense of it, so well see how it goes.
  • planaria
    ok, so finally got some time to do a small update to this. i absolutely love zbrush, but i am so dog slow with it i think this one will take a while..

so im still blocking out forms once i block out the whole thing i will go through and be fine tuning and adding better details.

levelconcept.jpg
  • planaria
    ok, so i got completely stuck with this.. but im back for who knows how long to work on this.. im trying another aproach which is to just take the idea and try to get something really weird looking .. hpoefully ican bridge the styles.. or atleast have a respite before i go back to doing detail sculpts of everything..

preview1zz.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    hahaha dood i forgot about this, but i remember looking thru this thread before. what ever you end up doing just have fun with it, loosen up and dont be too critical on yourself (that's what polycount is here for lol). make sure you block out the scene and... oh yeah, good luck!!

like what you got so far.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    really curios to see where your going with this. Robo-rocks ftw!
  • planaria
    soooo slow progress is slow, but its better then nothing. i am mainly just trying to keep up sculpting this a little bit at a time each day, for some reason i burn out on this project very fast and often..

Alberto , thanks yeah ive been going in and out of mostly blocking it out in my head, trying to block out something in zbrush, failing that trying a traditional modelling program, failing that, and then back to my head. this is pretty much the cycle.. slowly but surely i hope i can get it done.

konstruct , thanks ! ( i like your work a lot btw)

so bump..

preview1.jpg
  • planaria
    so tried to throw in a quick and dirty floating island, the idea is i will use as much of the underside of the floating island as possible.. so as to make use of all that otherwise wasted geometry, that means the base has to go deep down to basically the bottom of the level.

preview1nq.jpg
  • planaria
    so working on the main arch, i am starting to feel the end may be in sight but maybe not i dunno,

zbrushdoent.jpg
  • planaria
    alright then , i got the first test of the archway ingame, basically i just decimated it in zbrush unwrapped the 6k mesh from that and baked it with xnormal. the results arent perfect. the way zbrush decimates certain parts leads to shading errors due to funky tris that i havent really been able to get around. although it just occurred to me to fix it manually, might try that. anyways this is a very nice technique for blocking stuff in and seeing how it will look ingame in the scene im working on so despite those errors im happy with it so far.

darkwar000051.jpg

darkwar000048.jpg

darkwar000055.jpg
  • planaria
    Must.Keep... going !

pretty much just fiddling.. took advantage of the stencil shadow point lights by spawning a quickly thrown together chandelier to create some shadows for the cave entrance.. with this in mind ill probably work a little more to design the mesh to give a more interesting pattern on the walls..

darkwar000058.jpg

and an inside shot..

darkwar000060.jpg
  • planaria
    So, it took me a while to update this because i had to actually unwrap a 150k poly floating island with the most poly confusing cave system, unwrapping this was a circle of hell i tried to avoid but now its done and it has temporary textures on.

also tweaked the lighting ever so slightly, anyways i think it really adds alot to the cave systems in general, very happy with the final outcome although there are certain problems in the splatmap shader (not projecting the same texture sideways to avoid stretching of the texture)(also omni point lights use stencil shadowing, not a shadowmap solution so the triangles can look a bit edgy at times) .. anyways on with the slideshow from a tour of the depths..

darkwar000078.jpg

darkwar000082.jpg

darkwar000079.jpg

darkwar000072.jpg

darkwar000075.jpg

darkwar000073.jpg

darkwar000068.jpg

Thoughts on what to do next, i need to think about how architecture inside the cave system will look, its probably going to be inspired somewhat by mushrooms and veins and obviously techno junk greeble.. but yeah thats the next step im not sure how i want to do flat platformy type stuff either .. one thing i am sure about is i want to make things as modular as possible for this part while at the same time trying to maintain a unique look to each and every part of it
  • planaria
    so im sortof hitting a dead end atm ... how best to fill the immediate viscinity of the cavern and outside so as to make this piece fit into things better.. but anyways i made a few beveled primitives and just started slapping stuff together maybe some ideas will stick,

darkwar000087.jpg
  • altasa
    wow nice stuff
    really nice ideea